Final Fantasy XIII Needs "10 Times the Success"

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
crazyhaircut94 said:
This game is probably going to have a big success, even if it isn't one of the best, cause
1. There are many, many, many fanboys, and
2. The game is so hyped up that everyone will expect it to be good or at least be interested enough to try it to see what took them so long. Although this mostly just calls for an opening success, whether it will continue to be a money fountain depends on whether the game is really good or not.

I'm however a little skeptic about this game, since XI and XII where quite bad for a FF game. X was one of the best (if not THE best, competing with VII and V) but I guess the games turned out a little bad cause they were experimental. FFXI was a MMORPG which was just horrible. It wasn't bad for a MMORPG, but it was bad for a FF game. Shame on you, SquareEnix, don't ever do that again! What I didn't like about FFXII was the combat system and the child(ish) characters. Vaan and Penelo were really annoying and looked like twelve year olds (if they weren't). The ones I liked were Balthier (especially, he was awesome), Ashe, and Basch. The story was also a bit complex with all the politic situations, the increasing numbers of characters who you must remember, and the different factions. It's easy if you followed from the beginning, but forget one detail and you're lost.
Ture..... the msot I can personally hope for is a mix of FFX(coherent skill system/fun equipment system) and FF12(bad as level design and ok to decent new combat system)

I kinda wish they would utilize the old Lunar(not new,not in the crappy PSX versions) style battle field...

Naberius

Apr 8, 2009
Maybe it's just me, but is the art style of the FF series getting really fucking old? I remember a day when every final fantasy release was unique, and completely apart from the previous titles in visuals and character design. If you put any character from one of the PS1 games into any other one, they would have looked fucking out of place, and that's what made it great. All of the media they have released for this new game make it look like FFXII raped Advent Children and this is the illegitimate, inbred creation they have spawned. They are just trying too goddamn hard, and as a result, the newer games lack personality and soul.

I, personally, am really sick of effeminate male characters wearing multicolored vests with no shirt and female leads having some stupid white tunic thing that goes to her knees and some fashion accessory that goes down one half of her body. It's like they've abandoned character development in favor of a Japanese fashion show. I also really liked the worlds a lot more when they were completely over the top and didn't bother trying to be realistic. I related a lot more to a half-monkey gypsy actor than to any of these whiny ***** reluctant heroes they keep pumping out. If it is atypical and pushes the envelope, it stands a better chance of succeeding. Square needs to stop catering to Japanese girls and yaoi enthusiasts when designing this shit.

Here are some facts about FFXIII:

1. Your PS3 will give you radiation sickness the moment you put this game in. This is Japan's way of getting back at us for the Atomic Bomb.

2. Every character, place, plot, and technology you see in FFXIII will be the result of the developers sitting in a room, rolling dice to decide which 2 previous Final Fantasy games they want to mash together for each component.

3. It will not be as good as 7, 8, or 9. But it will be furiously masturbating to pictures of them.

4. It will not live on in your memory as a "Classic Game." If you have played the previous Final Fantasy games, this one will not be your favorite. Those days are over, and square is basically the George Lucas of the game industry now.

5. They will focus on combat, again. This is, and always will be the weak point of every JRPG, but they will dig their hole deeper and fight it with pointless innovations that will make controls frustrating. This, of course, will waste time they could have spent making a good story.

If Square were serious about making something 10 times as successful as other games, they would stop wasting time and start remaking the classic games for a new generation of gamers. FFVII was goddamn incredible, but is now almost completely inaccessible to anyone who wants to start playing them. If they are going to be a bunch of unoriginal prats, they may as well just start remaking something that was actually good, rather than experimenting with forcing old games to buttfuck each other.

Artemis923

Dec 25, 2008
Xiado said:
Artemis923 said:
Eat my balls Square. I'd rather play FF I again than suffer through another ass heap like FF XII.
FFXII had everything going for it except for characters and combat, with annoying and balancd characters (mainly Vaan and Penelo)
and boring, tactless combat and a screwed up gambit system. But the plot, art direction and style were all pretty cool.
I would say that's a pretty important chunk of the game. Style and art don't mean a thing if every second playing the game is an exercise in frustration.

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
Naberius said:
Maybe it's just me, but is the art style of the FF series getting really fucking old? I remember a day when every final fantasy release was unique, and completely apart from the previous titles in visuals and character design. If you put any character from one of the PS1 games into any other one, they would have looked fucking out of place, and that's what made it great. All of the media they have released for this new game make it look like FFXII raped Advent Children and this is the illegitimate, inbred creation they have spawned. They are just trying too goddamn hard, and as a result, the newer games lack personality and soul.

I, personally, am really sick of effeminate male characters wearing multicolored vests with no shirt and female leads having some stupid white tunic thing that goes to her knees and some fashion accessory that goes down one half of her body. It's like they've abandoned character development in favor of a Japanese fashion show. I also really liked the worlds a lot more when they were completely over the top and didn't bother trying to be realistic. I related a lot more to a half-monkey gypsy actor than to any of these whiny ***** reluctant heroes they keep pumping out. If it is atypical and pushes the envelope, it stands a better chance of succeeding. Square needs to stop catering to Japanese girls and yaoi enthusiasts when designing this shit.

1. Your PS3 will give you radiation sickness the moment you put this game in. This is Japan's way of getting back at us for the Atomic Bomb.

2. Every character, place, plot, and technology you see in FFXIII will be the result of the developers sitting in a room, rolling dice to decide which 2 previous Final Fantasy games they want to mash together for each component.

3. It will not be as good as 7, 8, or 9. But it will be furiously masturbating to pictures of them.

4. It will not live on in your memory as a "Classic Game." If you have played the previous Final Fantasy games, this one will not be your favorite. Those days are over, and square is basically the George Lucas of the game industry now.

5. They will focus on combat, again. This is, and always will be the weak point of every JRPG, but they will dig their hole deeper and fight it with pointless innovations that will make controls frustrating. This, of course, will waste time they could have spent making a good story.

If Square were serious about making something 10 times as successful as other games, they would stop wasting time and start remaking the classic games for a new generation of gamers. FFVII was goddamn incredible, but is now almost completely inaccessible to anyone who wants to start playing them. If they are going to be a bunch of unoriginal prats, they may as well just start remaking something that was actually good, rather than experimenting with forcing old games to buttfuck each other.
Thats not quite right FF7 started the Jrock inspired designs, FF8 refined them, FF9 was the last true FF game with a real uniqueness in its styles, FF10 and beyond followed the bland design path of generic rockers.

What they need to do is do what they did with FF 4,6,7 and 9 unique worlds with a unique style not using carbon copy models from the last game but making new models that allow for better new visual styles.

Artemis923 said:
Xiado said:
Artemis923 said:
Eat my balls Square. I'd rather play FF I again than suffer through another ass heap like FF XII.
FFXII had everything going for it except for characters and combat, with annoying and balancd characters (mainly Vaan and Penelo)
and boring, tactless combat and a screwed up gambit system. But the plot, art direction and style were all pretty cool.
I would say that's a pretty important chunk of the game. Style and art don't mean a thing if every second playing the game is an exercise in frustration.
I can handle a weak story even characters but not weak game play, I enjoyed Legia 2 with the inf accessory code breaker code more than I did FF12 and FFX(and 8 with inf magic).

IE FF1 is kinda more fun and interesting to play than FF12.

Did you find the equipment to be bland? I enjoyed the combat as much as I could turning alot of automated stuff off but the bland uninspired equipment turned me off.

Naberius

Apr 8, 2009
ZippyDSMlee said:
Naberius said:

Thats not quite right FF7 started the Jrock inspired designs, FF8 refined them, FF9 was the last true FF game with a real uniqueness in its styles, FF10 and beyond followed the bland design path of generic rockers.

What they need to do is do what they did with FF 4,6,7 and 9 unique worlds with a unique style not using carbon copy models from the last game but making new models that allow for better new visual styles.
True, character design has been J-rock since the PS1 games started, but I am also referring to the entire world. Visually, 7, 8, and 9 were all completely different. Everything from airship design, to architecture. It was all unique to its own world, and it all blended incredibly. These new games are just the same crap, mashed up endlessly. The architecture in 13 looks like 12 looks like 10; huge, rounded, squat. All the technology has glowing circles and raised holes all over it, with tendons made of wires and is apparently powered by the glyphs from ffx. All the forests are huge and have plants that look like they are part crystal. Everything looks like it is made out of steel, granite, brass, and turquoise. Stale stale stale.

Vlane

Sep 14, 2008
I will buy the game, say it's mediocre and put it in my shelf like I did with most Final Fantasy games. I help you Square but only because I think you try to make a good game this time.

Vlane

Sep 14, 2008
Naberius said:
I have to disagree! The combat system in the FF games has always been bad or average but there are some good combat systems out there in JRPG's. I still hold up Baten Kaitos's battle system as the best turn based combat system ever and the Digital Devil Saga combat system is also pretty good.

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
Naberius said:
ZippyDSMlee said:
Naberius said:

I hope the next one they they do a full cell shaded chibi/deformed style traditional FF but liek with most game companies safe and bland is their best financial bet...

sanzo

Jan 21, 2009
Vlane said:
Naberius said:

I have to disagree! The combat system in the FF games has always been bad or average but there are some good combat systems out there in JRPG's. I still hold up Baten Kaitos's battle system as the best turn based combat system ever and the Digital Devil Saga combat system is also pretty good.

QFT. Baten Kaitos's card based system was really fun and well done, even if it did take awhile to perfect, and I haven't played an SMT game yet where I didn't love the combat.