Final Fantasy XIII, why quit after Gran Pulse?

Fensfield

Nov 4, 2009
Plinglebob said:
Fensfield said:
Don't worry, you're not alone. XIII is the only FF game I've ever completed twice. Playing again when you know how all the character arcs will resolve themselves really adds some depth to it
Definitely! o.o

I mean, 'perfect example comes during the vestige at the beginning, when Psicom start trying to destroy it and the Fal'Cie inside.

When Sazh pointed out what they intended to do, Vanille's reaction was, 'They're going to destroy the Fal'Cie?!' First time through, not knowing her, this seemed like.. overplayed surprise and stating the obvious.

Second time through? That was really kinda sad - Vanille had just entered what to her must have been like the church for her community's god and protector, the resting place of of the being that gave her all the gifts of being a l'Cie. Up until that point I wouldn't have been surprised if she was thinking, 'I'm with Anima now, everything's going to be okay.'

Aurgelmir

WAAAAGH!
Nov 11, 2009
Crono1973 said:
I noticed that alot of people say they quit Final Fantasy XIII after getting to Gran Pulse, I am just wondering why?

Is it because Gran Pulse wasn't as great as promised?
Is it because without the linearity, the game lost it's drive?
Is it because the difficulty level ramped up?

Other?
After getting to or leaving Gran Pulse? Your title seems to suggest quitting after Gran Pulse, which I think is when most people did it.
I picked up the game again last weekend and honestly the part after Pulse is just way to hard. I think I didn't gain enough CP before leaving Pulse, and suffered greatly for it.

Leaving after reaching Pulse? That will just be speculation on my end:

The place was more open indeed, but it also lacked any interesting points of interest, the planet was barren and without civilization, which made it boring.

BoredRolePlayer

Nov 9, 2010
You know...it's bad that I like Final Fantasy X-2 more then Final Fantasy XIII....it's just so much stuff was wrong with FFXIII it just hurts my brain.

michiehoward

Apr 18, 2010
I had to force myself, literally tell myself not to put down the game. I drudged through until the final boss, beat the final boss. Don't know if I can honestly say I did anything to beat it. After that I realized that you couldn't max your chars until you beat it. Well after the final boss I threw the controller to the floor, and never picked it up for FF13 again.

Not being allowed to max out your chars before enter the final stage of the game was the final fucking straw and proved beyond a shadow of a doubt that 13 is NOT a FF game and SE has lost its fucking mind.

Wolfram23

Mar 23, 2004
I'm not sure if I got to Gran Pulse. I do remember some sort of frozen ocean or something. It looked cool... I know I got a little further than that area. I think I was around 30-35 hours into it.

I just finally decided the combat was shit, the story was shit, the exploration was shit, and most of the characters were shit. Basically I wasn't having fun so I exchanged it for Battlefield: Bad Company 2.

estoria-etnia

Aug 22, 2009
.... the second battle with Dy ? I mean, Dickandalus was a cake walk. The first battle with him was what earned him the nickname and my never ending hatred for the guy (SEVEN ATTEMPTS WAS WHAT IT TOOK TO BEAT HIM, FUCKING BASTARD). I only needed two or three on the other bosses and even Cid wasn't too difficult on the third try and screwing around with my paradigms.

lol When I got to Pulse I was basically like: HOLY SHIT IT IS SO BIG WHAT THE FUCK DO I DO? And then I said: Wait, I am in a big open world filled with lots of nasty creatures... QUICK LET'S FIND THE ONE THAT GIVES THE MOST CP AND GRIND THE FUCK OUT OF IT.

Then again, I have a tendency to like to grind a lot so that then I can pretty much steamroll anything else that I might come across. I've done this in most of the Tales games too ? usually on a second or third playthrough.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Because the general consensus was that after gran pulse, the game would actually get good.

It didn't.

leeprice133

Sep 25, 2011
I'm not entirely sure how anyone made it more than a couple of hours into FFXIII...
But then, I understand that there are significant numbers of people who didn't like FFXII, and I thought that game was damn near perfect.

geK0

Jun 24, 2011
I'm baffled that anyone found any part of FFXIII difficult....

I breezed through just about every fight up to the end : \ Is everyone just using auto attack?

CrimsonBlaze

Aug 29, 2011
F4LL3N said:
Perhaps the people who found certain fights difficult weren't taking advantage of the battle system, rather just pressing A and hoping for the best.
Which I find extremely hilarious as many people said that the battle system was TOO EASY, thus, the game suffered. Clearly, there are people that did not go beyond the 3rd chapter, where you are stuck with two allies until a few chapters later and you fight the Eidolons.

Moonlight Butterfly

Be the Leaf
Mar 16, 2011
CrimsonBlaze said:
F4LL3N said:
Perhaps the people who found certain fights difficult weren't taking advantage of the battle system, rather just pressing A and hoping for the best.
Which I find extremely hilarious as many people said that the battle system was TOO EASY, thus, the game suffered. Clearly, there are people that did not go beyond the 3rd chapter, where you are stuck with two allies until a few chapters later and you fight the Eidolons.
I think a lot of people use 'It must have been too hard' to subtlety insult people 'Who didn't like the game I like' It sounds a bit like the makers of 'Amy' with the excuses for their godawful effort.

Come on guys it's not exactly Dark Souls. Personally I just found it to be an awful game and didn't want to put anymore time into it.

Quellist

Migratory coconut
Oct 7, 2010
I just dont understand what everyone's problem with the bosses are. If anything i found the bosses in 13 to be a tad too easy. The only real grinding I did was mission 7? i think it was, the one that gives a rare drop of Tetra Tiara, once i had everyone with a Tiara and speed boots my party kicked arse and took names on a regular basis. I insta-deathed an Adamantortise to get a Trapezoid to upgrade Lightnings weapon to top grade but that was about the only 'epic gear' i obtained and i breezed through just about every bossfight without breaking a sweat.

If anything Gran Pulse was a welcome change of pace as i got to explore and do sidequests...

Vivi22

Aug 22, 2010
Daystar Clarion said:
FF13 has far worse things against it than Gran-bloody-Pulse.

You know, like, everything else.
Couldn't agree more. I absolutely hated that game in every way imaginable. I think I just kept slogging through because I've played and beaten pretty much every other FF, and I wanted to be well equipped in explaining why it is an absolutely horrid game in every conceivable way. Then my original PS3 got the YLOD when I was several hours into Gran Pulse and I simply never played the game again. I might have been able to slog through to the end before that despite my seething hatred of the game, but there was no way in hell I was going to start over from scratch simply so I could say I beat it. The hell with that.

Auron225

Oct 26, 2009
I kinda liked the vast open-ness for a change of pace - although there wasn't a whole lot to do aside from those c'ieth stone missions...

What I spent most time doing there though was digging around on a chocobo. I didnt really have a good grasp on weapons or the best way to upgrade them until I got there, so I looked up some internet guides, set out on leveling up in the c'ieth stone missions until I got a chocobo, and then dug for treasure until I could afford the better weapons in the game and to upgrade them an assload! I got kinda into it, and the rest of them game wasn't a problem afterwards.

Palademon

Mar 20, 2010
Yeah, I stopped there once I reached a point where my guide recommended backtracking for CP.

Guess it just lost its drive.

XMark

Jan 25, 2010
I did appreciate the game finally opening up and allowing some freedom at that point. However, the c'eith stone missions felt like chores, and there didn't seem to be very much in-character reason for me to do anything other than keep going along the straight line through the main plot. And I had been getting tired of driving in a straight line through the main plot.

Andaxay

Thinking with Portals
Jun 4, 2008
Shawn MacDonald said:
Im not a fan of everything that leads up to it. Always hate when people say this line. "Wait until halfway through the game, thats when it starts to get good." The game should be fun from the get go, not after hours of banging your head into the wall with it's childish combat system.
Thank GOD, I've been saying that to death myself, particularly about this game. A lot of reviews said something like "it gets good six hours in so here's a high score," unfortunately, I don't want to waste six hours not enjoying something before it gets good. I gave it a chance, just in case, as I've been a Final Fantasy fan for a while and was looking forward to it, but abandoned it permanently after ten hours. Never made it to Gran Pulse.

TheLastSamurai14

Last day of PubClub for me. :'-(
Mar 23, 2011
Fensfield said:
Plinglebob said:
Fensfield said:
Don't worry, you're not alone. XIII is the only FF game I've ever completed twice. Playing again when you know how all the character arcs will resolve themselves really adds some depth to it
Definitely! o.o

I mean, 'perfect example comes during the vestige at the beginning, when Psicom start trying to destroy it and the Fal'Cie inside.

When Sazh pointed out what they intended to do, Vanille's reaction was, 'They're going to destroy the Fal'Cie?!' First time through, not knowing her, this seemed like.. overplayed surprise and stating the obvious.

Second time through? That was really kinda sad - Vanille had just entered what to her must have been like the church for her community's god and protector, the resting place of of the being that gave her all the gifts of being a l'Cie. Up until that point I wouldn't have been surprised if she was thinking, 'I'm with Anima now, everything's going to be okay.'
Yeah, a second playthrough can really enhance even the minor bits of characterization that just go over your head the first time through. I'm glad they do this with damn near every FF game, and it's one of the most prominent things that entices me to go through a second (and third...and fourth...and fifth...) playthrough.

I never noticed that specific bit, though. Thanks for that, man. That really is cool.

ImProvGamr

Feb 2, 2012
Although I did go all the way through the game, I almost quit after being destroyed by a King Behemoth 10 times in a row. Even after I beat the game and worked at leveling up, those monster's still kept beating me into the ground! It's like if you didn't get it to stagger at the beginning of the battle, there was little you could do to actually win.

Also, I think I'm one of the only fans who really liked the linearity of the game. With such a focused and driven story, it felt weird to be put in this huge open field, especially since the only thing you could do their was kill monsters - or have your ass handed to you by them.