Final Fantasy XIV Subscription Fees Still a Ways Off

Catalyst6

Dapper Fellow
Apr 21, 2010
Look, Square. I know that Notch was able to get away with "selling the game halfway through the development cycle" and came out aces, but it doesn't work for everyone. Especially if the game is terrible.

Yes, I know that you want to be back with all the fancy developers and regain your spot in the limelight, but it's okay! We still love you. Kind of.

rembrandtqeinstein

Sep 4, 2009
I would have never tried Dungeons and Dragons Online unless it was free to play. Now two years later I spent at least $200 on it. So yeah they got me good.

BTW if you want to know the best way to get started in DDO PM me here and I'll help you out.

tlozoot

Feb 8, 2010
I know that people generally say that an MMO must come out strong to have a chance of survival, but has there ever been an MMO that was effectively 're-launched' after its official release and after a lot of further work?

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
dagens24 said:
Bwahahahahaha! What else is there to say? This is pathetic and the prime example of why developers need time to actually make the game worth playing, publishers take note.
Exactly. And Square Enix looks like even more of a joke with the knowledge that it was a self-funded game and thus they had no reason to rush it out the door so broken except for their own stupidity. Did none of them play it and say to each other "We need to delay this"? Wow.

Necromancer1991

Apr 9, 2010
That's what happens when you totally disregard your previous MMOs while developing a new one, FFXI was a good, albeit simple MMO. I mean really WTH happened guys, you seem to have forgotten all the stuff that you learned from XI!

mjc0961 said:
dagens24 said:
Snip
You make a valid point, I mean really, I understand that you wanted a holiday release, but you release this flaming turd and what happens a few months later, oh right...

They would have been better off delaying it for a year or so just to add more polish and get their shit together

Stammer

Apr 16, 2008
What's sad is that had I bought this game when it was released, it would have not only have paid for itself, but at this point would have been giving me a net increase in money.

(For those who don't know, if you have XIV and XI active on your account at the same time it halves the XI fee cost. So by this point it would have saved me [$8/mo] x [6mo] = $48)

Jonci

Sep 15, 2009
Well I've read that Final Fantasy 11 had a rough start, too. The international crowd got the polished game, but the Japanese had to deal with an immature MMO for awhile.

For all the good they could have done with FFXIV, my biggest issue with their game is how empty it feels. FFXI had life in its world, in my opinion. Seeing the old buildings, mines, and crypts lost to the beastmen after the Crystal War gave it a sense of purpose.

With FFXIV, grab your quest from town and just kill some group of enemies. What's the reason? What's the purpose? There's nothing that makes the northside of an area different from the southside. No story to the dungeons. If they change that with time, I may see myself returning to the game. But with the beauty that Guild Wars 2 is showing, I have a hard time moving back to FFXIV considering it is still following an old MMO concept.

Formica Archonis

Anonymous Source
Nov 13, 2009
Ah, yes. I have a friend who plays it every now and then and he's been regaling me with stories of the vast stupidity of the design and their attempts to fix it. The way he talks, this news does NOT surprise me one bit. I have never heard such a rigmarole just to find an item you want to buy, for instance.

dragongit

Feb 22, 2011
This is what happens when you release a game too early. They were so pressured to push this game out the door that not only is their PS3 port not out yet, but the PC version is a mess. For one thing, only getting one character slot and having to be charged an extra dollar a month (once subscriptions go into play) Is really an assinine thing. Wow allows 10 slots per server, and 50 in total. I hope Guild wars 2 at least allows 5 slots before they charge you for extra.

You know what though? Benig charged extra for slots in GW2 is alright for me, concidering even on launch it will be Buy to Play. I just hope GW2 will not suffer a similar fate as FFXIV. God damn typing out Final fantasy titles these days is like trying to decrypt some anchient language.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
I still don't believe this game is out. I have yet to see it at my retail store, nor anywhere else. It's all just a big lie. :)

Eri

The Light of Dawn
Feb 21, 2009
j-e-f-f-e-r-s said:
Especially so soon after your last one
Um, what? 11 came out in 2002 in Japan, 2010 is 8 years later.

devotedsniper

Dec 28, 2010
Quest system...? what quest system? unless i missed something in the last 1-3 months i haven't played there is no quest system all you have is the missions (going off xi lingo) every 5 levels, and then just skirmish style mini quests used for leveling.

Since my ffxi career is basically done, maybe i should log in and see whats what now until the eu servers and new patch are released on my current beta(which for disclosure reasons will have to stay anonymous).

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
Yes, its time for this game to go purely free to play and accept a hybrid of the guild wars/DDO model. Leave what is the f2p game Along with the base repairs to the non existent combat system. Implement micro transactions for those who want it, and charge for the expansions. (honestly any square game should be about the narrative and the expansion system is an adequate method of delivery for it.

Honestly it makes sense to do it that way. SE already has a monthly sub game. It makes sense if your going to build 2 MMOs... dont use the same pay method for both. Expand the reach of what type of customers you will reach.

Random Argument Man

May 21, 2008
AnythingOutstanding said:
Onyx Oblivion said:
Still, at least they aren't going. "This game rules, and y'all are just haters."
Hahahaha BioWare.
Wasn't it Bioware that said FF13 is not a game and criticized the usage of corridors? I found it ironic with Dragon Age 2.

Note* Still I can't compare DA 2 and FF13 since I've not played FF13.

Defense

Oct 20, 2010
At least they're willing to actually help the game instead of dropping it because it didn't sell like hotcakes. I hope Square Enix ends up making a profit from it soon and gets back on their feet.

frago roc

Aug 13, 2009
Thank god for simon and lewis saving me the trouble of trying this train wreck. Funny guys, check them out on youtube (bluexephos) - the game is a total mess.

Trogdor1138

May 28, 2010
There's no saving this one, they blew it. At least they aren't charging and saying "people just don't understand the game" but there really has to be a point where they kill the game and cut their losses. Nobody will want to pay for it when it's done anyway.

This game never needed to exist in the first place, use your manpower to do an awesome game instead, especially when you already have an FF mmo on the market.

This whole thing has just been embarrassing, I can't believe it got released in that state. It's your own damn fault when the time comes to see how much you've lost from it.