Final Fantasy XV Confirmed For 2016 Release

twaddle

Nov 17, 2009
Mister K said:
Wow, I didn't expect so many people sharing my general line of thought.

To be fair, I never was hyped for the game. When it was still Versus XIII I just hoped for it to be better than XIII. Now I have a feeling that it's going to be kind of worst, to be honest. Unless there is a huge twist and the boys band dies somewhere at the end of a prologue, I cannot see myself playing through the whole game with them. 3 out of 4 shown party members annoy me. And there is also this "dark and gritty reboot" feeling about the game I can't shake off. Final Fantasy games (for the most part) always had a rather diverse bunch of characters and stories that could be both lighthearted and tragic and that is one of the endearing traits of the franchise. Remember what happened last time FF decided to be dark and gritty? FFVIII happened. There is also the fact that we don't actually know much about RPG aspect. Do party members actually level up anymore, or is it now full-blown action game?

Anyhow, I keep my hopes low. Either this game will turn out actually good and I'll be pleasantly surprised, or it will be bad, I won't feel dissapointed and maybe FF franchise will be fknally put to rest after 3 (4 with XV) complete failures.
I was hyped when it was vs 13 and cried when kotaku said it had been cancelled. Now I'm just afraid. The fact that they changed the storyline and completely got rid of Stella as the antagonist to Noctis which would have been actually interesting... I'm just very afraid.

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat šŸ
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
šŸ‡¬šŸ‡§
Nazulu said:
16? What the hell happened to 15? Was it really bad or something? Also, what light is he speaking of?
XV is 15.

Also, can't believe no-one has pointed this out yet but the link in the OP indicates this game was announced two and a half years ago rather than ten years ago as stated? Typo?

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
JoJo said:
Nazulu said:
16? What the hell happened to 15? Was it really bad or something? Also, what light is he speaking of?
XV is 15.

Also, can't believe no-one has pointed this out yet but the link in the OP indicates this game was announced two and a half years ago rather than ten years ago as stated? Typo?
For fucks sake! I confused it with 2016 :p

That's enough posting for me tonight

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
I'll be honest, I was quite happy with the demo I got with Type 0 (which wasn't FF13 bad but wasn't great either). I'm actually looking forward to this. I don't complain much about the characters, have learned to see them as a form of Japanese B-game campness. I don't think thats what they're going for, not at all, but it makes it funny for me and I enjoy the games more because of that. Its either look at it that way or want to strangle at least 1/3 of the cast every time they speak.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Mister K said:
Anyhow, I keep my hopes low. Either this game will turn out actually good and I'll be pleasantly surprised, or it will be bad, I won't feel dissapointed and maybe FF franchise will be fknally put to rest after 3 (4 with XV) complete failures.
XIII, XIV before Realm Reborn... What's the third complete failure?

I think XIII sold decently outside the west, too.

Mister K

This is our story.
Apr 25, 2011
Silvanus said:
Mister K said:
XIII, XIV before Realm Reborn... What's the third complete failure?

I think XIII sold decently outside the west, too.
Oh, I forgot to say that I am not counting MMO's. I meant XIII, XIII-2, XIII-3 and (hopefully not) XV. And I didn't call them failures because of sales, but rather because of the general reception at the very least in the West (don't know what Japanese think about XIII and its sequels).

Now that I think about it, I should've included VIII aswell.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
In other FF news, FF IX is apparently getting a PC launch in Japan in the next year or so. Which will probably end up in the west not to long after that.

Though the Primary source on this is Kotaku, which may be why it hasn't been mentioned here yet.

As for FFXV, don't really care. Pretty much all the games past IX have failed to excite me(Well, X did....about halfway through the game, when Tidus stopped being annoying as shit). I don't see anything in XV's trailer that makes me think this is the one that's gonna make me care again.

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
The demo for FF XV was pretty fun especially the combat. If the combat is more or less the same asbin the demo I am sure I will enjoy it.

Xisin

Sep 1, 2009
Still no release date. My guess is it'll come out in 2020 as FFXVII.

Norithics

Jul 4, 2013
-Dragmire- said:
I just wonder how much it cost to make in total and if it's even possible to make their money back
Oh don't worry about that, it doesn't matter how much money Nomura's vanity projects make back; they just pilfer their current-running MMOs to fund all their other overbudget dead-end projects instead of investing back in the thing people like! =D

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
drkchmst said:
Why is my response "no it won't"?

In any case Persona 5.
Nailed it.

It's only taken them 10 years to finish it. But why should I care when there's Atlus?

dragongit

Feb 22, 2011
Affordablequote said:
You're all so fucking depressing.
I have to agree. People are quick to shit on this before we've even gotten our hands on it. People say the demo is good, if they keep up with that it should be at the very least a "good" game. I have confidence it will be "very good" to "great". People go on as though it shouldn't be finished because it was in development so long, and then what should Square do? They would be worse off NOT finishing it, and making no money off it, then releasing it to slightly depressing sales. For all we know it could still be a break through release. Especially if they added say... a demo for another upcoming title.I will be buying this day one, for sure.

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
Affordablequote said:
No, they're having a good time. You're the only one that is depressing, letting other comments get you down. It's not like this is new.

Sheo_Dagana

Aug 12, 2009
Affordablequote said:
Eh, I played the demo and didn't like what I played, and I sank quite a bit of time into it trying to find something to like about it. Yeah, yeah, not the final version, but I highly doubt the finished product will be all that much better. I know it's an MMO, and sure it's not nearly as pretty, but Final Fantasy XIV is a hell of a lot more fun to play.

Other than that, I think one of the bigger reasons expectations are low among other people is the convoluted development cycle this game had, as games with such long and overly complicated developments don't usually turn out to be very good. There are exceptions, but the way Square Enix has handled Final Fantasy lately, I think we're all pretty skeptical that this will be the one where they get it right.

Of course, I'd love nothing more than to be proven wrong. I love Final Fantasy, including a lot of the spin-offs, so to see the franchise get a single player game that can revive the series would be great.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Affordablequote said:
This is Humor, Good Sir.

Final Fantasy XIII and it's ilk were depressing(in pretty much every way possible). That and TWO MMO's and one MMO wannabe have a lot of us feeling that the last real Final Fantasy game was IX or X(depending on where you draw the line).

SE wants us to believe in the series again, they need to actually deliver a good game for the first time in 15 years. The trust we used to have is no longer there.

Or they could just give in, admit they really just want to make movies and just make movies from now on.

Edited for content.

Mister K

This is our story.
Apr 25, 2011
Dalisclock said:
Affordablequote said:
This is Humor, good sir.

Final Fantasy XIII and it's ilk were depressing(in pretty much every way possible). That and TWO MMO's and one MMO wannabe have a lot of us thinking that the last real Final Fantasy game was IX or X(depending on where you draw the line).
Well, some also say that XII was good too. But I played only up to a certain point and only remember that kid characters Vaan and Penelo were awful and combat system was boring. However I also remember liking gambits and other party members. Plus the story was intriguing, at least.
Anyhow, I'll have to replay it at a certain point in the future, when either inevitable PC port or inevitable HD remaster comes out.

drkchmst

Mar 28, 2010
Fox12 said:
drkchmst said:
Why is my response "no it won't"?

In any case Persona 5.
Nailed it.

It's only taken them 10 years to finish it. But why should I care when there's Atlus?
10 years since it was announced. Who knows how long it was in development before that. Wish this was an anomaly but with squenix this sort of development cycle is all too familiar.