Finally, a Game for Girls!

Sizzle Montyjing

Pronouns - Slam/Slammed/Slammin'
Apr 5, 2011
Of course i am being highly sarcastic, as is the article i'm about to link you to is also being.

http://kotaku.com/5848870/finally-a-game-for-girls

Now, i know that we'd all usually get all angry at this sort of thing, but i say we just laugh at it.
Laugh and laugh and laugh at the amazing stupidity and sexism that this game brings to the table.

Now, this applies mainly to the girls among us, but hell you can join in either way!

Disscussion value/ question:
Why in the world do people still make games like this?
What are your responses?
What possible effect to you think this game could have?

Also, i know this isn't exactly a suprise but hey!
It's nice to have a laugh sometimes

Wuggy

Jan 14, 2010
I glossed over it (I'm at work, can't really go in-depth right now) and I demand equality! We need a game for boys!

Some of the objectives would include:

- Lift weights
- Get a tan
- Drink beer
- Watch Football
- Beat up some geeks
- Urinate in a public place

And much, much more!

Because that's just as accurate to what "guys" do as a collective (because you can generalize an entire gender to have same interests, right?) as this 'game for girls'.

OtherSideofSky

Jan 4, 2010
The press release at the end of the article is quite possibly the funniest thing I've seen this week.

Also, the thing that really disturbs me about this is its portrayal of relationships. If it was just about fashion and trying to look better than everyone else, it could be harmless, although hardly progressive. The way this thing deals with relationships, though... those ideas are just toxic. It's quite disgusting.

Also, other games already do everything this purports to be about better.

Pinkamena

Stuck in a vortex of sexy horses
Jun 27, 2011
This can't be serious. What were the developers smoking when they decided to add a witch into this game?!
The evil witch has been hiding the Ghost city for centuries and no one has succeeded in breaking the spell yet. With every passing year, and with each of the thousands of unsuccessful attempts to break the spell, the witch becomes stronger and is now more powerful than before.

dickywebster

Jul 11, 2011
First off im pretty sure theres a few games like this on facebook...

Secondly, when they basically say that this is a game that assumes women dont like the same things as men, arent they basically saying the human race is dead as the 2 sexes have nothing in common?

Thirdly, im not sure if i should laugh or pity this game, it just seems so, idk, stupid?

Fourly, im pretty sure theres been games aimed at just girls before, so why is this the so called first?

I know theres complaints that games tend to pander more for the male audience, but this one takes things a little too far in the other direction, just a little...
Actually, im pretty sure there have been none facebook games in a similar line to this, why is this even been declared as new?
Actually, im not even sure which is more sexist now, the games that show women as sexual objects, or this one thats tell you that girls need to have their own place and love shopping to be independent (not even going to start on the paradox about the needing a boyfriend part).
Actually that might just be me facepalming over the shear stereotyping.

Gulleko

Mar 30, 2011
I'm laughing and being horrified at the same time. It is hilarious in its stupidity,
but sadly a lot of young girls would want to play it, since they think appearance and a boyfriend is all that matters.

I see it as a game for young Paris Hilton fans that simply don't know better,
and I can imagine trophy wives buying it for their daughters,
but intelligent beings should do all they can to talk them out of it...

Sizzle Montyjing

Pronouns - Slam/Slammed/Slammin'
Apr 5, 2011
kman123 said:
Car Washer sounds like the perfect boyfriend.
That was indeed my thought!
And i should probably link you to this video...
Pinkamena said:
This can't be serious. What were the developers smoking when they decided to add a witch into this game?!
That bit just made my day, i was laughing HARD at this bit when i found it, i mean, it was funny enough but...
Oh games industry, you so crazy!

KarmaTheAlligator

Mar 2, 2011
Was I supposed to laugh at this? Because I did. A lot.

Although I imagine this "game" is going to be ignored by its target audience and tried by everyone else just for laughs.

Death-of-Penguins

Mar 2, 2010
Right, I am going to go and investigate this game personally, in the name of science.

I am a girl, so perhaps this will truly be the perfect game for me, and I won't have to spend money on Assassin's Creed or Uncharted or anything else.

I doubt it.

M-E-D The Poet

Sep 12, 2011
Gulleko said:
I'm laughing and being horrified at the same time. It is hilarious in its stupidity,
but sadly a lot of young girls would want to play it, since they think appearance and a boyfriend is all that matters.

"Trophy wives"

what are you, an alpha male?

MercurySteam

Tastes Like Chicken!
Legacy
Apr 11, 2008
I seriously can't stop laughing. At least it will give stay-at-home-mums something to do in their spare time.

Gulleko

Mar 30, 2011
M-E-D The Poet said:
Gulleko said:

"Trophy wives"

what are you, an alpha male?
No, but in Sweden we have an extremely crappy show called "Swedish Hollywood wives", and they are all so blond and stupid that it feels like the husbands only want them for their appearance, and that's a trophy wife in my eyes...

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Wow that is some messed up shit, especially the boyfriend part, his name is Car washer and he gives you 50$ per day... what the frack.

And just last week Extra Credits was talking about how lazy design stumbles into horrific messages.

Lilani

Sometimes known as CaitieLou
May 27, 2009
Sizzle Montyjing said:
Of course i am being highly sarcastic, as is the article i'm about to link you to is also being.

http://kotaku.com/5848870/finally-a-game-for-girls

Now, i know that we'd all usually get all angry at this sort of thing, but i say we just laugh at it.
Laugh and laugh and laugh at the amazing stupidity and sexism that this game brings to the table.

Now, this applies mainly to the girls among us, but hell you can join in either way!

Disscussion value/ question:
Why in the world do people still make games like this?
What are your responses?
What possible effect to you think this game could have?

Also, i know this isn't exactly a suprise but hey!
It's nice to have a laugh sometimes
Eh, it looks like it's aimed at the younger female demographic, which believe it or not often DOES like dress-up simulators. I know I did when I was a pre-teen. I'm fairly certain there are boy video games, like games about cartoon trucks or little racing games, so why should I be offended? It's not aimed at me. Of course I probably wouldn't like it now. It's aimed at girls, not women. I admit the boyfriend thing is pretty...bad, but there have been worse. Much worse. [http://www.amazon.com/Berjuan-1502-Bebe-Gloton-Breastfeeding/dp/B002QIWRA0]

I think it's rather sad that we've gone so far into this "eradicating gender-roles" craze that we've gotten to the point where even voluntarily exploring stereotypical gender-roles has become unacceptable. Whenever something like this comes out, or any sort of toy geared towards girls and their stereotypical gender-roles, so many people rise up to say it's such a shame. I mean, what do you want us to do about it? Federally mandate that all girls only engage in either male or gender-neutral activities, and all boys only feminine or gender-neutral activities? Whatever happened to just letting kids play the games they want, regardless of whether it's stereotypical or not?

Moonlight Butterfly

Be the Leaf
Mar 16, 2011
This makes me want to vomit. Its so purile.

Young girls may be attracted to dress up sims but this is NOT the message we want to be giving them.

As far as I can tell these are the two main 'issues' of the game

- How you look
- How much money your boyfriend makes (I don't even..)

Just horrible.

drisky

Mar 16, 2009
Car Washer probably only makes about $50 a day, your just bleeding him dry unless he ironically doesn't wash cars for a living.