Find one good thing about a bad movie or game.

Louzon

Apr 9, 2009
The movie Robot Jox was thought of as pretty bad, but if you look at it from the time it came out, the effects were pretty good, and the plot of the movie was solid. People keep telling me that Pacific Rim is the first Mech movie to come out for the states, and I tell them, "No sir!" Robot Jox is awesome if you remember that time ages all movies.

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
Lieju said:
King Billi said:
I think The Village has some of the best music I've ever heard in a film.

I should admit that I actually really like this film even though popular opinion would seem to indicate that I'm the minority there but while I do concede that that can be attributed purely to my own personal opinion this one point I feel is beyond dispute.
I like the Village.

I'm not sure why so many people hate it, I seem to recall it getting mediocre reviews when it originally came out.
I guess a lot of people felt disappointed with the twist, and I agree it wasn't much of a twist, but that wasn't the point.
It's more that people were unimpressed with how the story unraveled and many didn't like the idea of the creatures itself. Unfortunately, this makes a lot of people over look what was done well.

I reckon this guy sums it up well - http://blogcritics.org/is-the-village-really-that-bad/

Lieju

Jan 4, 2009
Nazulu said:
It's more that people were unimpressed with how the story unraveled and many didn't like the idea of the creatures itself. Unfortunately, this makes a lot of people over look what was done well.

I reckon this guy sums it up well - http://blogcritics.org/is-the-village-really-that-bad/
But that doesn't explain the hate it got.
I guess it was the film where people started to realize Shyamalan wasn't as great as everyone had hyped him to be. (Personally, I thought Signs was bad), so it was a disappointment for them.
Add to that how Shyamalan has become a laughing-stock later, and how it colours one's recollections.

Angie7F

WiseGurl
Nov 11, 2011
The fact that they can be remembered a;ready makes the bad movie "good".
I watch one or two movies a day, and I am sure I have a ton of movies that I cant even remember watching.

Now, back on topic.
"Quicksilver" was horrible, but holds its unique place in a series of those Footloose/ Flashdance bunch of movies.
It has the Morpheus guy in it, so its all good.

Nazulu

Jun 5, 2008
Lieju said:
Nazulu said:

I guess it was the film where people started to realize Shyamalan wasn't as great as everyone had hyped him to be. (Personally, I thought Signs was bad), so it was a disappointment for them.
Add to that how Shyamalan has become a laughing-stock later, and how it colours one's recollections.
Yeah, the hate was the reaction to these mistakes. When something like dodgy story telling sticks out it can take people out of the immersion because they can't take it seriously anymore. Though I reckon that's harsh because there are many other elements to keep entertained, if done well. I can always point out flaws in films, as long as most other parts are done well, then I won't have a problem. Not usually.

What was bad about Signs?

Lieju

Jan 4, 2009
Nazulu said:
Lieju said:
Nazulu said:

Yeah, the hate was the reaction to these mistakes. When something like dodgy story telling sticks out it can take people out of the immersion because they can't take it seriously anymore. Though I reckon that's harsh because there are many other elements to keep entertained, if done well. I can always point out flaws in films, as long as most other parts are done well, then I won't have a problem. Not usually.

What was bad about Signs?
It has been years since I saw Signs, but I remember I wasn't impressed with it when it came out. I thought the plot was stupid, I didn't care about the characters and the aliens were silly.
But I didn't think it was spectacularly horrible or rage-inducing either.

Nazulu

Jun 5, 2008
Lieju said:
It has been years since I saw Signs, but I remember I wasn't impressed with it when it came out. I thought the plot was stupid, I didn't care about the characters and the aliens were silly.
But I didn't think it was spectacularly horrible or rage-inducing either.
I agree with you somewhat. The characters were pretty basic, plot is memorable but some events were lame, and the aliens... were something different. I don't know, I remember I first found them intimidating because of how large they were and they just seemed to be everywhere. Then again, I get easily scared to horrors.

Maeta

Jun 8, 2011
The War of the Worlds with Tom Cruise ended? But seriously, in a film so awful it made my head hurt, things did look quite pretty, and the much derided ending (which stayed true to the original tale) made sense and I actually liked it.

Black Reaper

Aug 19, 2011
Drakengard
The story was unique
The director said that he couldn't compete with things like Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy if his characters were normal, so he them as fucked up as possible
Yoko remarked that he had to fight a lot with Square-Enix to keep many of his creative decisions in the final product. One particular example which he named was how executives kept pressuring him to have a blue sky for natural realism. He strongly resisted them multiple times as he sought to keep the landscape surreal and dreary for the game's tone. Many of the characters' odd quirks and personalities were conceptualized by him for the sake of originality. Yoko felt Drakengard wouldn't stand a chance against Dragon Quest or Final Fantasy if the characters were normal. He is personally surprised to learn that the characters have stood the test of time in people's memories and had no idea the game has a fanbase.

Although the game is infamous for its multiple "bad" endings with fans, Yoko doesn't feel the same way. He made them with the intents to present unexpected and painful experiences for the playable cast. Yet the B ending represents his opinion for fetishism regarding the superficial "idealistic younger sister". At the time, Sister Princess was the prime source of his ire; he doesn't like the current title which represents this idealism, Oreimo. In his eyes, Furiae and her many monstrous clones in this ending represent how shallow and heartless these sister characters are in fiction.

The E ending (Tokyo ending) and its dramatic gameplay change were added by him a small group of developers to be a "surprise joke" for players ?following a similar train of thought as the UFO endings in Silent Hill. The ending wasn't shown to the entire team until the very end of development; Shiba hated it once he saw it. Yoko became quite fond of the reaction it had on the team and players, and it was one of the reasons why it was revisited again for Drakengard's alternate continuity, NIER.
Highlights:He is personally surprised to learn that the characters have stood the test of time in people's memories and had no idea the game has a fanbase.

The B ending represents his opinion for fetishism regarding the superficial "idealistic younger sister". At the time, Sister Princess was the prime source of his ire; he doesn't like the current title which represents this idealism, Oreimo. In his eyes, Furiae and her many monstrous clones in this ending represent how shallow and heartless these sister characters are in fiction.

King Billi said:

I should admit that I actually really like this film even though popular opinion would seem to indicate that I'm the minority there but while I do concede that that can be attributed purely to my own personal opinion this one point I feel is beyond dispute.
I thought i was the only person around here that liked it, i know some people who like it IRL, but i have only met 2 or 3 people who like it on the internet

Black Reaper

Aug 19, 2011
Drakengard
The story was unique
The director said that he couldn't compete with things like Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy if his characters were normal, so he them as fucked up as possible
Yoko remarked that he had to fight a lot with Square-Enix to keep many of his creative decisions in the final product. One particular example which he named was how executives kept pressuring him to have a blue sky for natural realism. He strongly resisted them multiple times as he sought to keep the landscape surreal and dreary for the game's tone. Many of the characters' odd quirks and personalities were conceptualized by him for the sake of originality. Yoko felt Drakengard wouldn't stand a chance against Dragon Quest or Final Fantasy if the characters were normal. He is personally surprised to learn that the characters have stood the test of time in people's memories and had no idea the game has a fanbase.

Although the game is infamous for its multiple "bad" endings with fans, Yoko doesn't feel the same way. He made them with the intents to present unexpected and painful experiences for the playable cast. Yet the B ending represents his opinion for fetishism regarding the superficial "idealistic younger sister". At the time, Sister Princess was the prime source of his ire; he doesn't like the current title which represents this idealism, Oreimo. In his eyes, Furiae and her many monstrous clones in this ending represent how shallow and heartless these sister characters are in fiction.

The E ending (Tokyo ending) and its dramatic gameplay change were added by him a small group of developers to be a "surprise joke" for players ?following a similar train of thought as the UFO endings in Silent Hill. The ending wasn't shown to the entire team until the very end of development; Shiba hated it once he saw it. Yoko became quite fond of the reaction it had on the team and players, and it was one of the reasons why it was revisited again for Drakengard's alternate continuity, NIER.
Highlights:He is personally surprised to learn that the characters have stood the test of time in people's memories and had no idea the game has a fanbase.

The B ending represents his opinion for fetishism regarding the superficial "idealistic younger sister". At the time, Sister Princess was the prime source of his ire; he doesn't like the current title which represents this idealism, Oreimo. In his eyes, Furiae and her many monstrous clones in this ending represent how shallow and heartless these sister characters are in fiction.

That, and The Dark Id's let's play of it, it's simply hilarious
King Billi said:

I thought i was the only person around here that liked it, i know some people who like it IRL, but i have only met 2 or 3 people who like it on the internet

Morsomk_v1legacy

RUMBA RUMBA RUMBA RUMBA RUMBA
Jan 30, 2013
Ace Of Spades(Jagex Version).

They added classic mode to it. That is it. Everything else in that game ruined the concept and theme of the original Ace of Spades for me.

King Billi

Jul 11, 2012
Lieju said:
Nazulu said:

It's funny that you say that as I would have thought personally that The Village might have been looked back on with a bit more appreciation soley from comparison to the films that followed it.

I always got the impression the major problem with this film was that it just wasn't what people expected it to be to the extent that I actually recall alot of people saying that the trailers and advertising misrepresented what it was actually about.

I also feel it's affected by the same problems that affect all of M Night Shyamalan's films(even those from before he became a joke) in the fact that nobody talks or acts like a real person in a Shyamalan movie they're all odd stoic people spouting ridiculous dialogue. I think its less obvious in The Village though since everyone is already speaking in a very proper 19th century style.

CrimsonBlaze

Aug 29, 2011
Well, despite the Twilight series being a unspeakably bad book and movie franchise, which not only proves how incredibly stupid it is, but also gives a giant "F*** YOU" to its 'devoted fans' in the end of the movie seires, I will say that they at least had the decency to hire actually Native Americans to play the role of the Native American werewolf clan, which can't be said with The Lone Ranger and Tonto.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
While Sonic 06 was really badly designed, rushed, and really pathetic, it did have a good soundtrack at least.
That's what I've noticed about Sega games, they could be outright terrible, yet they still would have at least a good soundtrack.

Alright another one...Transformers movies made by Michael Bay are awful yes, but on the plus they managed to get Peter Cullen to voice Prime again.