Find Your Perfect Career by Choosing Colors

kitsuta

<Clever Title Here>
Jan 10, 2011
Find Your Perfect Career by Choosing Colors

Forget puzzling over complicated career assessment questions - just pick your favorite color.

There's no shortage of quizzes, personality tests, and ill-tempered guidance counselors that will claim to predict your career-related future. The process usually involves answering a plethora of dull, confusing, or just plain bizarre questions about yourself. Instead of spending ages trying to decide what your best quality is or what one thing you'd give to the homeless, we at The Escapist have found a simpler solution. So just kick back, relax, and pick your favorite color.

While the Dewey Color System career test isn't exactly new, it's a laidback - and surprisingly savvy - personality assessment based on color science. Or voodoo, it's not really clear. But it doesn't cheat by sticking to vague feel-good qualities that anyone can be said to have, so that's a plus. Our quick-but-assuredly-super-scientific sampling showed that the test has surprisingly good accuracy, which is all the more impressive because, you know, colors.

There's a simplified version of the test you can take here [http://jobs.aol.com/articles/2010/06/24/color-tests/?icid=maing-grid10|htmlws-main-bb|dl24|sec1_lnk3&pLid=174313]. Both versions are a breeze, so give it a shot and let us know how you think it stacks up.

Source: AOL Jobs [http://jobs.aol.com/articles/2010/06/24/color-tests/?icid=maing-grid10|htmlws-main-bb|dl24|sec1_lnk3&pLid=174313]

Fr]anc[is

May 13, 2010
Tried taking the full version, it just restarts the test instead of giving results. Guess I wont be able to pick brown every time and make a lazy joke about video game developers.

80Maxwell08

Jul 14, 2010
I took it and it told me to go to Grand Canyon University in Arizona. Granted I am in Texas so it isn't too far all things considered but it says it's a Christian university and I'm an atheist so it wasn't too accurate. Still with that last question for the colors I disliked a lot of them equally so I just clicked them at random. Don't know how much that affected the test.

EDIT: After a few people telling me this was an ad I retook it. It said I was energetic and emotionally stable (about as wrong as you can be about me) then told me to go work in places with physical risks. Yeah I think I'll just choose for myself.

WaysideMaze

The Butcher On Your Back
Apr 25, 2010
Best Occupational Category
You're a DOER
KEYWORDS
Emotionally Stable, Reliable, High Energy, Practical, Thrifty, and Persistent
These adventurous types prefer action-oriented, concrete problems rather than dealing with thought-provoking, ambiguous, abstract dilemmas. Fields of interest include mechanical, construction, and outdoor careers. They might also enjoy working with machines, tools, and equipment to repair or build something.
DOER OCCUPATIONS
Suggested occupations are Engineer, Auto or Aviation Mechanic, Telephone Technician, Emergency Room Supervisor, Gardener or Groundskeeper, Plumber, Police Officer, Criminal Investigator, Rancher, Electrician, Forester, Machinist, Flight Attendant, Radiology Technologist, Vocational Agriculture Teacher, Industrial Arts Teacher, Building Contractor, Software Technician, Horticulture Worker, Professional Athlete or Dancer, Military Officer, and Cabinetmaker.
DOER WORKPLACES
Consider action-oriented workplaces such as the construction, mining, and energy industries where physical risks could be present, but constant pressure to change or accept new procedures or ideas is not. Consider small towns or rural communities. And avoid workplaces that force you to be the center of attention or talk about yourself.
Suggested Doer workplaces are manufacturing or industrial firms with tangible products such as aviation, trucking, local transit, engineering, and technical firms. Organizations structured with clearly drawn lines of authority, for example the armed forces, enforcement agencies, and security protection occupations will work best for you.

2nd Best Occupational Category
You're a CREATOR
KEYWORDS:
Nonconforming, Impulsive, Expressive, Romantic, Intuitive, Sensitive, and Emotional
These original types place a high value on self-expression. They enjoy working independently, being creative, using their imagination, and constantly learning something new. Areas of interest are far beyond the expected fields of art, drama, music, and writing. There are many occupations that allow creators to express, assemble, or implement ideas and maximize resources.

The first occupational category, doer, is more accurate than I'd expected from a test like this. Although it still just gives a shitload of options, it does narrow it down some.

The second best option though, creator, completely wrong. I have no imagination, I'd be useless!

gardian06

Jun 18, 2012
80Maxwell08 said:
I took it and it told me to go to Grand Canyon University in Arizona. Granted I am in Texas so it isn't too far all things considered but it says it's a Christian university and I'm an atheist so it wasn't too accurate. Still with that last question for the colors I disliked a lot of them equally so I just clicked them at random. Don't know how much that affected the test.
you have to go to the bottom of the page, and at least say "no thank you"

OT: it said that I was a creator with a secondary of organizer.

I can agree with the creator, but the organizer I am a little skeptical over though I do think that I am a creator, or I try to be at least.

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
I got for my
Best Occupational Category
You're a CREATOR
KEYWORDS
Nonconforming, Impulsive, Expressive, Romantic, Intuitive, Sensitive, and Emotional.
These original types place a high value on self-expression. They enjoy working independently, being creative, using their imagination, and constantly learning something new. Areas of interest are far beyond the expected fields of art, drama, music, and writing. There are many occupations that allow creators to express, assemble, or implement ideas and maximize resources.
CREATOR OCCUPATIONS
Typical ?Creators? function best in occupations where they have the autonomy to be original. It?s essential. In fact, your best career is mostly about your workplace environment. For Example, Educational careers, Corporate Trainer, Author, Editor, have constant demands for new perspectives or better methods. Without flexibility, however these careers are a not a good fit. Careers that typically have these qualities, but not always, are Advertising Executive, Architect, Web Designer, Creative Director, Public Relations, Fine or Commercial Artist, Interior Decorator, Lawyer, Librarian, Musician, Reporter, Art Teacher, Broadcaster, Technical Writer, English Teacher, Architect, Photographer, Medical Illustrator, , Landscape Architect, Exhibit Builder, and Package Designer.
CREATOR WORKPLACES
Unstructured, flexible organizations that allow self-expression work best with this free-spirited type. Ironically, professions that appear to be ?Creative? can inhibit self-expression. Those that seem overly structured like Tax Assessor can actually offer the latitude to make a difference. Most enjoyable workplaces allow for self-expression with the capability to improve the status quo.
Don?t be befuddled by the word ?Creative.? Creator workplaces are much broader that the ?Typical Creative Careers? like interior decorating firms; artistic studios, theaters and concert halls; institutions that teach crafts, universities, music, and dance schools. In order to see your best recommendation, check out the Color Career Indictor 4.0 for actual occupational listing.

For my
2nd Best Occupational Category
You're a PERSUADER
KEYWORDS:
Witty, Competitive, Sociable, Talkative, Ambitious, Argumentative, and Aggressive
These enterprising types sell, persuade, and lead others. Positions of leadership, power, and status are usually their ultimate goal. Persuasive people like to take financial and interpersonal risks and to participate in competitive activities. They enjoy working with others inside organizations to accomplish goals and achieve economic success.

Sounds pretty spot on for me, sadly my career path is no where near either of those, and suffice to say I'm not super happy about my job. I do my job as a need for cash rather than for the enjoyment of it.

Eric the Orange

Gone Gonzo
Apr 29, 2008
First answer was WAY wrong. But the second answer was pretty good. Strange that the first and second answers were in many ways polar opposites.

Fasckira

Dice Tart
Oct 22, 2009
Thats insane, I got Researcher as 1st and Social Manager as 2nd - my career is a community manager tasked with finding new ways to improve the company...

ZephrC

Free Cascadia!
Mar 9, 2010
I got creator and persuader. Creator kinda works a little, I guess. Probably not the best fit, but not a complete failure either.

Persuader is just straight up wrong though. I'm not just bad at that stuff, I'm bad at it in no small part because I hate doing it.

Richardplex

Jun 22, 2011
Creator and persuader. Really doesn't work for me because I have ADHD and thus my favourite colour changes every 5 minutes.

Trivun

Stabat mater dolorosa
Dec 13, 2008
Did the full version and it said I was a creator. Given that I've had to retake the final year of my degree because I 'wasted' last year making films, and given I want to learn the drums and guitar and become a film-maker (and also spend a lot of time writing fiction), I'd say it's pretty damn spot on. I wonder how it works...?

Tornix

Oct 13, 2010
I knew I would get Creator and I did. I didn't expect Organizer as the second one but once looking through it I could tell it's acceptable.

TheRightToArmBears

Dec 13, 2008
"You're an ORGANIZER
KEYWORDS
Self-Control, Practical, Self-Contained, Orderly, Systematic, Precise, and Accurate
These conservative appearing, plotting-ty"

It's completely wrong. I'm disorganised, and hate having to be organised. I think it gave me that because I thought 'hey, it's seeing if all my answers match up, I'll show it!' so it thinks I have OCD.

Conn1496

Apr 21, 2011
Creator and Doer. This thing isn't tapped into my head is it? No? WHOA! MIND BLOWN.

Spaloooooka

Oct 5, 2010
Creative & Social Manager. eeerr...I legally have to adhere to BS5930 and EC7 when writing almost anything. Unless you count figuring out how to drill awkward stratigraphy? ......I do a lot of work on site about 100M from anyone else. Not too social.

I AM a successful Engineering Geologist and it suggested construction: Site Engineer

Eh. When I was 16 I was told I'd be a Janitor/Handiman!!

Rainforce

Apr 20, 2009
organizer-creator

...how was I supposed to decide which I want least if they're ALL beautiful D: ?

captcha: "very nice"
indeed.

EDIT: my result lacks a bit of researcher, too XD