Finding Dory - Just Keep Swimming

ccggenius12

Sep 30, 2010
Samtemdo8 said:
Now I worry if Increadibles 2, even with Brad Bird at the helm, would even exceed the first movie at all. Because what made the first movie great was the whole theme of Superheroes now in hiding.

I just feel the sequal is at risk of just being an Avengers/Fantastic Four clone....as in just part for part exactly like the Avengers with no identity to call it its own.
Without knowing anything of the production, I find myself expecting a Heel-face turn for Syndrome, set up by him spending the first half of the film in a Silence of the Lambs, Hannibal Lecter capacity. Dunno. I just think they did a pretty good job of establishing him as a sympathetic character in the first movie, and it'd be a waste to ignore all of that character build-up in a sequel.

OT: Has a movie where the main cast gets sidelined for the side characters from the previous movie(s) ever worked? I honestly can't think of any.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
ccggenius12 said:
Without knowing anything of the production, I find myself expecting a Heel-face turn for Syndrome, set up by him spending the first half of the film in a Silence of the Lambs, Hannibal Lecter capacity. Dunno. I just think they did a pretty good job of establishing him as a sympathetic character in the first movie, and it'd be a waste to ignore all of that character build-up in a sequel.
Um...Syndrome's dead. Like, really dead. Like, "holy shit, did Pixar get away with that?" dead.

ccggenius12 said:
Has a movie where the main cast gets sidelined for the side characters from the previous movie(s) ever worked? I honestly can't think of any.
Off the top of my head, Finding Dory itself, along with Jurassic Park: The Lost World, and 2010: Odyssey Two.

ccggenius12

Sep 30, 2010
Hawki said:
Um...Syndrome's dead. Like, really dead. Like, "holy shit, did Pixar get away with that?" dead.

ccggenius12 said:
Has a movie where the main cast gets sidelined for the side characters from the previous movie(s) ever worked? I honestly can't think of any.
Off the top of my head, Finding Dory itself, along with Jurassic Park: The Lost World, and 2010: Odyssey Two.
Huh... I guess it's been a LONG ass time since I watched that movie... I remember shit-all about it (apparently)... In that case, I see either a Superhero Registration Act/Civil War knockoff, or something to do with a successful, unpowered hero.
Also, there was a sequel to 2010!?!

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
ccggenius12 said:
Hawki said:

ccggenius12 said:
Huh... I guess it's been a LONG ass time since I watched that movie... I remember shit-all about it (apparently)... In that case, I see either a Superhero Registration Act/Civil War knockoff, or something to do with a successful, unpowered hero.
Also, there was a sequel to 2010!?!
Not a sequel, it IS the sequel. Of the Space Odyssey series, we have 2001: A Space Odyssey, 2010: Odyssey Two, 2061: Odyssey Three, and 3001: The Final Odyssey (I'm not including the Time Odyssey series in this). The first two were adapted into films, and 3001 is apparently getting a TV adaptation. 2010 fits the criteria because Heywood Floyd is the main protagonist, whereas in both the film and book of 2001, he was there for 25-50% of the time and not the main protagonist in either case (he's there more in the book than the film, but both versions of 2001 lack a central protagonist outside humanity itself...sort of).

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
P-89 Scorpion said:
Bob_McMillan said:
P-89 Scorpion said:
Bob_McMillan said:
It was okay. Pretty fun.

I was hoping for a cameo from one of the other fish in the dentist's office from the first movie. As a child, that had always bugged me. How did they get out of their bags? If they did, did they all stay together? If they didn't, wouldn't they eventually suffocate? Or get eaten by seagulls?
Someone didn't stay till after the credits :)
Wait, seriously? In this movie or the first one?
In Finding Dory.
Goddammit, now I have to watch it again -_-

ccggenius12

Sep 30, 2010
Hawki said:
Not a sequel, it IS the sequel. Of the Space Odyssey series, we have 2001: A Space Odyssey, 2010: Odyssey Two, 2061: Odyssey Three, and 3001: The Final Odyssey (I'm not including the Time Odyssey series in this). The first two were adapted into films, and 3001 is apparently getting a TV adaptation. 2010 fits the criteria because Heywood Floyd is the main protagonist, whereas in both the film and book of 2001, he was there for 25-50% of the time and not the main protagonist in either case (he's there more in the book than the film, but both versions of 2001 lack a central protagonist outside humanity itself...sort of).
I'm gonna blame this one on exhaustion based numerical dyslexia. My reaction SHOULD have been to 2001 having a sequel.
Also, just came up with one: Tremors. Kevin Bacon was the main attraction to start, but the franchise has built itself around Michael Gross. I may be biasedthough, my favorite was #4, cowboys vs giant worms.

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
Samtemdo8 said:
Now I worry if Increadibles 2, even with Brad Bird at the helm, would even exceed the first movie at all. Because what made the first movie great was the whole theme of Superheroes now in hiding.

I just feel the sequal is at risk of just being an Avengers/Fantastic Four clone....as in just part for part exactly like the Avengers with no identity to call it its own.
Disney already made an Avengers clone with "Big Hero 6" so I imagine the plot of "Incredibles 2" will be different.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Evonisia said:
Samtemdo8 said:

Disney already made an Avengers clone with "Big Hero 6" so I imagine the plot of "Incredibles 2" will be different.
I just hope it tries to do something original because Pixar now is not Pixar then.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Evonisia said:
Samtemdo8 said:

And The Incredibles was basically a Fantastic 4 clone.

Neither "cloning" is inherently bad, but The Incredibles was hardly the high point of originality.

Necrozius

Jun 21, 2016
I enjoyed it. It was interesting how it tackled the concept of overcoming one's disability (there were a few characters with disabilities). Also: living in the moment instead of worrying about everything. There was some emotional stuff and lots of comedy, but nothing as brainless and stupid as Minions or other non-Pixar CGI films.

As usual, the visuals are really, really amazing, especially the short at the beginning. Pixar still rules compared to Illumination or Dreamworks