Finnish Hearthstone Tournament Changes Policy on Women - Update

Pogilrup

Apr 1, 2013
The Lunatic said:
So, we now have a genderless tournament and a female-only tournament.

... How is this better?
Consider it an investment in a better future where the videogame industry is much less prejudiced against the views and experiences of women.

direkiller

Dec 4, 2008
The Lunatic said:

... How is this better?
Well there was no female harthstone Tournament only Starcraft and StreetFighter. So everyone can join in.

as for why they are running two Starcraft tournaments, I think it's because there is prize, and sponsorship money involved. So it will lead to a legal kerfuffle if they just get rid of the Female only tournament.
What will most likely happen is after this there will only be one all comers, but for now they have to do two different tournaments.
It's probably better that this happend now anyway before a Transgender player entered the "wrong" tournament, at-least right now they have a chance to save there company.

tzimize

Mar 1, 2010
Huh. If only all organizations had that kind of effectiveness in their decision making.

Schadrach

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 20, 2010
Country
US
The Lunatic said:

... How is this better?
Because it benefits women, which is the measure you are supposed to gauge sexism solely against -- how does it effect women. Men are wholly irrelevant in measuring sexism.

Same reason that the UN gender equality rankings count education in such a way that the fact that more women than men are in college now makes us more equal with respect to education than when the numbers were closer to parity.

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
The change didn't solve anything, they still have a gender segregated tournament for a card game.

This is the sort of thing that causes bitterness with people.

Aaron Sylvester

Jul 1, 2012
Wait wait wait...they decided to keep female-only competitions? Then why should a female bother to compete with males when they can have a much easier time in the female-only division?
In the all-gender group, competition will obviously be significantly harder and very fierce due to the sheer number (and skill) of male players.

So there will be females winning prize money for coming 1st/2nd/etc out of a competition for their own gender, but compared to the main group they might be not even be worth coming in the top 50 and shouldn't be getting anything.

This just doesn't make sense.

Gali

Nov 19, 2009
johnsarif said:
Ferisar said:
You know what I know? That I communicate with females on a daily basis who seem to function exactly the same as me outside of our reproductive desires.
The same? Really?
Based on the study I posted above:
The data, pulled from 10,000 American men and women who took a questionnaire that measured 15 variations of personality traits, records that men and women feel and behave in very specific (and gendered) ways.

Men are more:
- Dominant
- Reserved
- Utilitarian
- Vigilant
- Rule-conscious
- Emotionally stable

While women are more:
- Deferential
- Warm
- Trusting
- Sensitive
- Emotionally "reactive"
As a side note, I'm all for gender equality. I believe that it's OK to have mixed eSports competition but that's just that, a belief. I do not have any conclusive evidence to support it or to refute it.
I don't think the cognitive argument works as well as the physical one. Brain functions are not that clearly researched compared to basic body functions, muscles and the like you need for the physical argument to segregate gender in sports. Furthermore, as experiences of transgered people show, one can have a "more female" brain but still have a male body, or the other way around. Because of the complexitiy of the mind, how can you say ones mind is clearly male or female when this can happen? It is stupid to put gender labels on ways of thinking since the chance that a person applies to everything "male" or "female" 100% is so small. The body may be male or female, but what goes on in ones mind is a whole other story that tells us we, as humans, are in the end just persons.

That's why gender segregation in eSports is dumb. I'm sad that they still keep those female only tournaments and this company is not the only one. ESL is doing these too, for example. I know the reasoning behind it, but I think they should just be tournaments for amateurs/lower league/more casual players. When the assumption "playing (competitive/more hardcore) videogames = a male hobby" fades, we will see more female progamers.

Also, shoutout to Team Acer's Scarlett. My role models when it comes to eSports. :)

spoonybard.hahs

Apr 24, 2013
Sgt. Sykes said:
Can anyone explain this, I don't understand.

So were there always TWO tournaments (male and female) and they just changed the male-only to universal-gender?

Or were there always two tournaments, but the qualification (or whatever) in Finland was male-only, so they switched that to universal-gender?

Anyway the current state is the worst of all. Okay, if women make 1% of the players, then it makes sense to have a separate male and female tournament, so that one woman in 100 doesn't have to compete with 99 men (i.e. statistically just 1/100 change of winning).

But making one tournament female-only and the other universal is just as unfair to any man who gets displaced by a (theoretical) woman in the main tournament since he can't play in the female tourn.

Why not just make leagues 1 and 2 like in any other sport?
To answer your question, there were two "leagues," male and female. Because "other sports are gender segregated, so to be taken seriously and legitimate, we should do that, too."

Also, gender has absolutely no determination on chances of winning. It is absurd to make one competition for all and one only for women. But only because it should just be one competition for everyone.