Fire Emblem: Awakening Gets Tactical on February 4

Sarah LeBoeuf

Apr 28, 2011
Fire Emblem: Awakening Gets Tactical on February 4

The first 3DS entry in the Fire Emblem series allows your characters to marry and have children for the first time.

It's been over five years since the last original game in the Fire Emblem series was released, which is a long time for tactical RPG fans to have to wait. Luckily for them, the wait is almost over: Nintendo has announced that Fire Emblem: Awakening will be released in North America in February 4. European gamers will have a little longer to wait; Awakening is scheduled for an April 2013 in Europe.

Awakening was (kind of accidentally) announced at E3 earlier this year; the game has been out in Japan since April 2012. Though this is the first entry for the 3DS, the series is no stranger to portable systems. The first Fire Emblem to be released outside of Japan hit the Game Boy Advance in 2003, with Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones hitting the handheld two years later.

Fans of the Fire Emblem games can expect new features in the next entry in the medieval fantasy franchise, like being able to perform team-up attacks, marry, and have children with other characters. Awakening will offer additional characters via DLC once the game is released, including some familiar faces from other Fire Emblem games.

Source: Polygon [http://www.polygon.com/2012/12/5/3731772/fire-emblem-awakening-hits-nintendo-3ds-on-feb-4-2013]

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
This has been one of the most consistently high-quality franchises that I've played, with never a single subpar entry. I'll be buying this for sure.

P.S. Thanks

Issurru

Jun 13, 2010
Yay! Now my 3ds won't have to be a paperweight anymore. I'm so excited:D its been forever since I last played a fire emblem game

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
Covarr said:
This has been one of the most consistently high-quality franchises that I've played, with never a single subpar entry. I'll be buying this for sure.

P.S. Thanks
While I'd agree that most of the FE line has been great, I really disliked Radiant Dawn, which is sad because it's a direct sequel to Path of Radiance which I thoroughly enjoyed.

AldUK

Oct 29, 2010
I haven't bought a new DS game in a couple of years now. I still have my old clunky original DS, does anyone know if this will run on it? Or will I have to shell out for a sparkly new overpriced 3DS?

Either way, take all my money. Love Fire Emblem to bits.

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
This might actually be a system seller for me, I'll have to keep an eye on the 3DS prices.

Tiger Sora

Aug 23, 2008
AldUK said:
I haven't bought a new DS game in a couple of years now. I still have my old clunky original DS, does anyone know if this will run on it? Or will I have to shell out for a sparkly new overpriced 3DS?

I just looked this up myself. You'll need to buy a 3DS to play the game, no backwards compatability cause well. The old system can't handle the 3D. Question answred.

I'll have to show my little brother this, he loves the series. He'll buy it, and a 3DS. And once he's done I'll play it.
: D

Gylukios

The Red Comet
Dec 3, 2008
Time to cancel my plans for February 4th. And 5th, and 6th, and... let's just write-off the whole week's worth of free time while we're here.

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
Besides from being damn fun I play Fire Emblem for the shipping, call me a sappy prick but this children thing made me squee.

SpaceBat

Jul 9, 2011
Covarr said:
P.S. Thanks
-Dragmire- said:
While I'd agree that most of the FE line has been great, I really disliked Radiant Dawn, which is sad because it's a direct sequel to Path of Radiance which I thoroughly enjoyed.
I have to say that Shadow Dragon for the DS was pretty poor as well. I know it was a HD remake, but after having played those two amazing GBA Fire Emblems, Shadow Dragon felt incredibly disappointing. I couldn't even bring myself to finish it.
Otherwise, the FE series is pretty damn excellent.

Arcadian Legend

Blame your fate!
Jan 9, 2012
I'm a huge FE fan, and I can barely wait for it to come to Europe. I've had my eyes on this for a very long time.

SpaceBat said:
I have to say that Shadow Dragon for the DS was pretty poor as well. I know it was a HD remake, but after having played those two amazing GBA Fire Emblems, Shadow Dragon felt incredibly disappointing. I couldn't even bring myself to finish it.
Otherwise, the FE series is pretty damn excellent.
Yeah, I guess it was just too faithful to the original, as it lacked some crucial features that are in the present games, like thieves not being able to do things you expect them to do and no rescue feature and what new things they did add from the original were fairly shoddy, such as the underwhelmingly(?) basic support system and how new units added for the remake were implemented and obtained.

Oh, and this is unrelated but Naoto FTW.

AldUK

Oct 29, 2010
Tiger Sora said:
AldUK said:

I just looked this up myself. You'll need to buy a 3DS to play the game, no backwards compatability cause well. The old system can't handle the 3D. Question answred.

I'll have to show my little brother this, he loves the series. He'll buy it, and a 3DS. And once he's done I'll play it.
: D
Thanks for answering my question! But boohoo to having to buy a 3DS :(

Ah well, that limited edition special model looked so good! It's so sad of me that if I had that, I'd keep it as a memento to show my grandchildren...

Revnak_v1legacy

Fixed by "Monday"
Mar 28, 2010
I am beyond pleased about this. I'm pretty certain this was the most well received Fire Emblem to date too. I now must get a 3DS and this game. There is no other option.