Fire emblem fates: the darkest fire emblem yet?

Post Tenebrae Morte

Jun 6, 2011
As the title relates, it is being said by those in Japan that this game is actually the darkest, yet best written installment of fire emblem yet. Yes, it has the poke amie like stuff, but the gameplay and story is top notch.

What do you guys think of this?

xaszatm

That Voice in Your Head
Sep 4, 2010
Playing the game, the game DOES get extremely dark as many characters from both sides will die. Some in extremely gruesome ways. However, it doesn't get as dark as Genealogy of the Holy War did, which quite honestly in more comparable to Game of Thrones in darkness.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
So the playable characters from the other faction do get killed then?

Well it's hard to say seeing how I can't played the game til next year so I don't know how dark it can get.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
All I know is you can finally make sweet homosexual love, and there's a groping mechanic. Is that it?

StormShaun

The Basement has been unleashed!
Feb 1, 2009
I like that, I really like that.
Games with war should contain a good degree of darkness.
Awakening felt ... Almost a bit too happy.

After all, when things are darkest, the happier times are the brightest.
Which only means we will be only happier when we manage to get two people together.

The game looks good so far. I'm just a little uncertain on the whole two versions part.
I can get it ... But it kinda makes the side choosing decision less exciting, especially if you decide you want to go to the other version instead. Though I don't think it will be too bad in that case. The "My Castle" feature and the ... *cough* ... Intimate time seems rather neat. It only makes me wonder if the West edition will be censored. :/

EDIT: *One deep search later*

Well, I felt like I've seen too much.
I remember ... Voice lines, fanservice, and forbidden topics!
Well, this will surly be interesting once we get the game.

Rebel_Raven

Jul 24, 2011
I dunno, we're getting bathhouses and the ability to strip, and grope people pokeamie style. That kinda takes some of the bite of the dark writing, I think.

http://nintendonews.com/2015/06/fire-emblem-fates-dialogue-stripping-touching/

that said, *immature giggling.*

NPC009

Don't mind me, I'm just a NPC
Aug 23, 2010
xaszatm said:
Playing the game, the game DOES get extremely dark as many characters from both sides will die. Some in extremely gruesome ways. However, it doesn't get as dark as Genealogy of the Holy War did, which quite honestly in more comparable to Game of Thrones in darkness.
Yeah, that game had its Red Wedding months before the first Song of Ice and Fire book even came out... Also, the more you think about the bloodlines, the more fucked up things become.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Th3Ch33s3Cak3 said:
You just copy and paste that comment in the FE thread I made weeks ago or is that your response to every current FE topics made on here?

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Johnny Novgorod said:
All I know is you can finally make sweet homosexual love, and there's a groping mechanic. Is that it?
That's what I was going to say...I don't know if it'll be the darkest one, but apparently it'll be the kinkiest one. :p

BarkBarker

May 30, 2013
I hope it is so dark all the silly "waifu mechanics" as I've seen some put it get turned against you. Lovingly rubbing your wife and...uh....kid, enjoying their company? Oh guess what in this game wives die 4 chapters after marriage if you don't do this, this and this. Welcome to war buddy, this is no place for simple dating sim plebians like you. Enjoy holding your dying daughters hands as she fades away. I want it to feel like these mechanics aren't pandering but rather a way to lower your defences.

Post Tenebrae Morte

Jun 6, 2011
The kids are essentially as important to the plot as they were in awakening, aka, not at all. You can play the entire game without them, and no, no time travel.
From what has been said, this game appeals to the vets and the newcomers. Yes, there is waifu stuff but it doesn't detract from the horrors in the game. While it isn't incest filled like 4, it is quite dark I'm other ways.

Hades

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2013
Country
The Netherlands
Of course this game is dark. The main character is a psychopath who forces his men to come to his room so he can rub their faces and possibly grope them!

On a more serious note you also have two families that love you very much and you will have to wipe out one of them.

Flying Pilgrim

Apr 24, 2009
Th3Ch33s3Cak3 said:
IMO:

Path of Radiance>Fire Emblem>>>Awakening=The Sacred Stones>>>>>Shadow Dragon>>>Manure>>>>>Radiant Dawn

I'm a Fire Emblem fan. I first came to the series with Fire Emblem(FE7). Since then, I've played every single Fire Emblem game(that was realeased in the west) in order, and at least 3 times(with the exclusion of Radiant Dawn, which I've only played twice). That said, the more I hear about Fire Emblem: Fates, the less I want to buy it. I have trouble articulating what I want to say, so I'm going to copy-paste various comments from around the web:

User PKTHoron's comment:

'These controversial features have been announced so far:

-MUs,

-Two versions,

-Removal of weapon durability,

-Phoenix mode,

-My Castle,

-lolfacerubbing,

-Copies of Awakening characters,

-and now it looks like we're getting children and time travel back,

and it's surprising that people are fucking mad now!? They punched a sizeable portion of the fanbase in the stomach 8 times now, and it comes as a shock that people aren't liking it? Mind you, not all of these are necessarily bad features, but it's entirely understandable to be fucking pissed at the pandering, casualisation and general ridiculousness of the game by now.

Before today, my reactions to FEFates's questionable new features were "oh, this worries me" or "lol that's so dumb it's funny", but today's news were the first ones to legitimately upset me. I was trying to stay optimistic this entire time, but fuck no, IS couldn't relent dealing blow after blow to alienate their old fanbase as much as possible (well haha, joke's on me, I'm an Awakening baby and I'm STILL mad), and here I am posting the exact same kind of pessimistic comment about Fates I was not fond of seeing before.

And the worst fucking thing? This game looks so GREAT aside from those features; it has so many great ideas, character designs, story premise, new classes, weapon side effects, tweaking of Awakening mechanics and, well, it's a new fucking FIRE EMBLEM, and I still really want to buy and play it, but (Un)Intelligent Systems made so many fucking STUPID decisions that it just leaves a foul taste in my mouth.

But hey, maybe I'll find a new happy bubble to reside in after my old one bursted and I'll go back to my skeptical-but-generally-optimistic attitude again. But for now, I'm fucking furious about how blatantly and shamelessly the fucking imbeciles at IS are ruining what could have been an amazing entry that I'll buy anyway lol.

Rant over.'

User cargup's comment:

'I still want to play the game and it will probably be fun. But the message I'm getting from this marriage reveal is troubling.

I've always believed fans who got in on the Awakening train--even casual fans uninterested in the larger series--could be "integrated" into the fanbase. I thought IS would take the best of Awakening (I do believe some good is there) and push forward to make something new, but still distinctly Fire Emblem that could appeal to old and new fans alike. I didn't and don't believe marriage/children is a staple mechanic required to appeal to new and casual fans.

But IS evidently does believe that. They seem to not have faith in their ability to innovate and deliver a new experience that pleases both segments of the fanbase. Hence the Awakening clones; hence marriage and children returning to a story where they probably shouldn't be.

It's a bummer. I have nothing against shipping and children; I even liked them in Awakening. But forcing them in every game--or even just two games in a row--reeks of stagnation. They reveal the hypest shit like the recent class trailers, then kick you in the balls with another baffling design choice.'

User Packasus's comment:

'Awakening was a massive hit, and it also diverged greatly from previous Fire Emblem games in several key areas, most of which were the very things that many longtime fans loved about the series. IS is predictably going where the money is, and those same longtime fans who didn't like the way Awakening did things are feeling like they're being cast aside because... well, they are.'

I love innovation. I belive that if the Fire Emblem series does not try to change it's formula, it will become stale and unsuccesful. However, there is good and bad change. Adding dark weapons, while intergrating magic into a new weapon triangle? That sound's great! Rebalancing pair-up and adding in dual strikes? Fantastic! Shoving, capturing, and the ability to change features on well-designed maps? Even better! Changing core mechanics to keep stuff fresh while not losing sight of what makes the series special. That's good.

Face rubbing? Pandering to people who like 'way-foos' and dating simulators? Having a ridiculous art stlye? Casual and Phoneix mode? These changes are all ridiculous and go against what made the series great. This is pandering to people who don't even like these type of games. It panders to people who watch Chinese cartoons.

Keep in mind, the game isn't even out yet, so things might turn out differently than we think, and I will only make my final judgement on the game when it comes out next year.
I'm not sure if this has already been stated in this thread, but on the Nohr side, Odin, Lazward, and Luna are actually the same characters from Awakening. They're just going by aliases. Just a tidbit I thought you'd think was interesting, if you didn't already know.

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
I'm not totally up to date with the FE stuff because I want to go into it blind but thank fuck weapon degradation is out because that has never once been a fun mechanic in a game but dark stuff is pretty good if it's done well and in moderation and after Awakening I trust the devs to write it well. I hated Witcher 2 for example because yes, it's dark as fuck but just being 100% dark 100% of the time is just depressing and I just see no point in playing the game cuz no matter what I do, shit'll still be fucked.

Hopefully it'll be written like Comyu, it's covered in dark themes, hell the game at one point paints cold blooded murder as a good thing because the guy really deserved it guys! Yet the game keeps me invested because it has some lighter sections, some comedy and the constant idea that there is a chance at making the world better even when there's so much murder around. Kagome's Route AKA the obviously canon route (them plot twists, that ending) is fuckin' soaked in blood and I love it.

StormShaun

Feb 1, 2009
The Wykydtron said:
Hopefully it'll be written like Comyu
You mean I'd be forced into a big pair of maid jugs for no reason, and then I'd quit the game?
I'd rather not, and just play Majikoi thanks.

Well at least from here I can say that the protagonist of this Fire Emblem game will be better than that, or at least similar to G-senjou no Maou's protagonist. I think it would play better then. The main point though, protagonist of Awakening was rather plain, if this one was somewhat darker, it would be pretty interesting.

What I will agree with is the lack of weapon degradation. That was rather annoying in Awakening, especially considering I'd usually run out in the worst spots. So I won't miss that feature at all.
... Though I will miss Nowi. Now I'm going to have to search for another flat-chested character to ship with.

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
StormShaun said:
The Wykydtron said:
Hopefully it'll be written like Comyu
You mean I'd be forced into a big pair of maid jugs for no reason, and then I'd quit the game?
I'd rather not, and just play Majikoi thanks.

Well at least from here I can say that the protagonist of this Fire Emblem game will be better than that, or at least similar to G-senjou no Maou's protagonist. I think it would play better then. The main point though, protagonist of Awakening was rather plain, if this one was somewhat darker, it would be pretty interesting.

What I will agree with is the lack of weapon degradation. That was rather annoying in Awakening, especially considering I'd usually run out in the worst spots. So I won't miss that feature at all.
... Though I will miss Nowi. Now I'm going to have to search for another flat-chested character to ship with.
Hey come on, did ya even read the rest of the post or was the random fuckin' maid sex so mentally scarring to you, you just stopped reading there? I did explain what I meant by "like Comyu" Although Haru's existence in the game is basically just terrible sex appeal cuz she contributes nothing to the story, everything else was pretty good I think. Even though they do the forced route bullshit to do every single other route before you can even get to Based Girl Kagome it's kinda justified.

Yo I would love to play something in the vein of G Senjo though, that game was fuckin' amazing. Similar to Kyousuke how though? Some of his character traits would be a bit off for even a darker FE game. Just interested in how you meant that.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Flying Pilgrim said:
I'm not sure if this has already been stated in this thread, but on the Nohr side, Odin, Lazward, and Luna are actually the same characters from Awakening. They're just going by aliases. Just a tidbit I thought you'd think was interesting, if you didn't already know.
Ok that had peak my interest as I did notice some character did look similar to Awakenning (Syalla is not related to Tharja due to similar hair style). Still I don't get how there can be children character when time travel is not involved at all or maybe the comment I had read it from was incorrect?

So does that meant IF/ Fate is a sequel to Awakenning which I kind find a plothole in that Nohr and Hoshido aren't located anywhere in the Awakenning world (the world map in Awakenning). At least I think it was justify in that it take a thousand year or so after the origina FE starring Marth (the countries change shape and the culture within it). Maybe the changed past had alter their future somehow?

StormShaun

Feb 1, 2009
The Wykydtron said:
Hey come on, did ya even read the rest of the post or was the random fuckin' maid sex so mentally scarring to you, you just stopped reading there? I did explain what I meant by "like Comyu" Although Haru's existence in the game is basically just terrible sex appeal cuz she contributes nothing to the story, everything else was pretty good I think. Even though they do the forced route bullshit to do every single other route before you can even get to Based Girl Kagome it's kinda justified.

Yo I would love to play something in the vein of G Senjo though, that game was fuckin' amazing. Similar to Kyousuke how though? Some of his character traits would be a bit off for even a darker FE game. Just interested in how you meant that.
To be honest, this was a good while back. A couple of years probably, and I will admit, I probably did overreact.
Especially now since I am currently reading Kara no Shoujo, and that also throws sex scenes out of nowhere. I find them kind of annoying, but I really should just push past it, right? Anyway, that is still on my list, but I'm going to wait until a friend with similar tastes gives me some feedback on it.

When you said written similar to Comyu, I can somewhat believe you that it would suit FE. Especially considering it has that "We have to kill you to survive" kind of vibe.

With G-senjou no Maou (a damn good VN, I agree, and funnily enough it has a true ending too) and the protagonist, Kyousuke, I like how his characters works. Kyousuke is smart, and pretty two-faced. While he may seem like an ass and a Yakuza on the outside, he is pretty nice on the inside. I think it could work within FE because, I hope this part is right, but the protag for FE is going to be smart, making him a strategist. Not only that, he is raised within the Nohr faction, which could make him a little more cynical and distrustful, like Kyousuke.

I believe they can do it.
Of course though, unlike Kyousuke, the FE Fate protagonist has to become our character, so such writing is limited to this media. SO hey, anything can happen. I just hope that things are darker, but looking at a couple of Reddit posts, it seems like it.

WhiteFangofWhoa

Jan 11, 2008
I figured as much. Since the two warring kingdoms are both playable, both would have enough sympathetic/interesting characters to make the conflict more of an indecisive realpolitik gray than ever before in a series where you can often pick out the villains from a mile away (Gangrel, Malfoy Manfloy, Ashnard...).

The characters on the other side that you slaughter to save your chosen people have lots of friendships and families in the other game. Says it all right there.

ScrabbitRabbit

Elite Member
Mar 27, 2012
I can see it being the darkest western released game but I'll be very surprised if it's on level with Genealogy of the Holy War. That game is fucked up nine ways to Sunday and not just for a Nintendo game.