Firmware Update May Break Your Old Xbox 360 [UPDATE]

Jabberwock King

Mar 27, 2011
The first response already hit this, but can someone tell me if I can parlay my old Xbox for a new one? I stuffed it away in a box after I got an elite, but I was going to give it to my brother.

Jabberwock King

Mar 27, 2011
punipunipyo said:
danpascooch said:
punipunipyo said:
wow, they didn't need hackers to screw up their costumer relation.... I kinda feel bad for Microsoft...
screw up? Are you kidding? I'm assuming you didn't actually read the article, every affected customer gets a FREE 250gigabyte 360 SLIM!

Everyone here is praying it bricks their 360
Though they didn't quite say how long will it take to sent out the new(replacement) X360, and how long till receive, all the software, data (I hope this data, including the account info are all server saved...), but yeah, read it, didn't think the sudden brick down made anyone happy, guess if you were all for getting a free upgrade, I guess you COULD be a little bit excited when it brick on you... kinda like when PSN got hacked, and you were one who never play online, nor makes ANY purchases using PSN except with pre pay cards... getting a "welcome pack" (2 free full games) with no risk... is kinda cool, i guess I wonder how much $$ is at work here...
Don't forget the free year long gold membership included.

Quiet Stranger

Feb 4, 2006
When does the update come out? We're suppose to be prompted to download the update right? How does that work again anyways? Does the update pop up when I start up my 360 or when I pop in a disc, someone tell me, please?

KeyMaster45

Gone Gonzo
Jun 16, 2008
Jonabob87 said:
Like I said, it's an upgrade to support a different disk format. Obviously certain types of drive wouldn't support this update. This is not something that can be remedied with an update unless you removed the upgraded disc capacity, which would then render the console unable to play any games using that new format.

So you honestly read that article and came away with the impression that the update will brick 360's? It says "The update caused some consoles to face disc error messages, claiming the inserted disc is "unreadable" or "unsupported" -- an unforeseen and unwelcome side-effect."

This means that certain discs will not play, not that the console will be bricked. I honestly don't know how this could have been made any clearer.

The only part of the console that will be affected in any adverse way is the disk drive. Your data would not be in any danger.

It's not that your comment was "not to my liking" it's that you'd skimmed over the article and assumed something the article never said. i.e. Bricking your Xbox.
If they're having to send me a brand spankin' new Xbox to fix the problem then they have officially bricked my system and I do not want that to happen. End of story.

LogicNProportion

Mar 16, 2009
...Time to start up the 360 and hope it goofs up.

...Seriously...my OLD OLD OLD 360 is a piece of junk. It overheats after an hour of play. : I

punipunipyo

Jan 20, 2011
assuming that "gold" is kinda like "PSN+", I never use the feature, and don't know how... figure it's probably just discounts, and exclusive demo? free DLC?

Azaraxzealot

Dec 1, 2009
Braedan said:
Oh boy! I have a crusty barely working "original" Xbox, with no HDMI or anything. Time to update to see if my lotto ticket gets me a new slim...
yeah, i tried it, and apparently they can detect which consoles got it and they contacted you ahead of time. so if you haven't been contacted, you're not getting a slim

Jonabob87

Jan 18, 2010
KeyMaster45 said:
Jonabob87 said:
Like I said, it's an upgrade to support a different disk format. Obviously certain types of drive wouldn't support this update. This is not something that can be remedied with an update unless you removed the upgraded disc capacity, which would then render the console unable to play any games using that new format.

So you honestly read that article and came away with the impression that the update will brick 360's? It says "The update caused some consoles to face disc error messages, claiming the inserted disc is "unreadable" or "unsupported" -- an unforeseen and unwelcome side-effect."

This means that certain discs will not play, not that the console will be bricked. I honestly don't know how this could have been made any clearer.

The only part of the console that will be affected in any adverse way is the disk drive. Your data would not be in any danger.

It's not that your comment was "not to my liking" it's that you'd skimmed over the article and assumed something the article never said. i.e. Bricking your Xbox.
If they're having to send me a brand spankin' new Xbox to fix the problem then they have officially bricked my system and I do not want that to happen. End of story.
They're not having to, they're choosing to. Out of warranty.

Either you're not paying attention to what I'm saying, or you WANT to be pissy about this. Either way I'm done with this idiotic conversation.

Migs

Oct 13, 2010
I wonder if this applies to people having the problem outside of the North American Territories?
because right now, this is kind of freaking me out. I have a Xbox 360 Arcade (Falcon) with a 20gb hdd attached to it and it indeed is using a Lite-On Drive.

theultimateend

Nov 1, 2007
punipunipyo said:
assuming that "gold" is kinda like "PSN+", I never use the feature, and don't know how... figure it's probably just discounts, and exclusive demo? free DLC?
No Gold is the ONLY way you can play games with your friends.

That's why I stopped playing 360. I know its only a couple bucks a month but all the games I wanted to play were on the PS3 too anyways (or the PC) and those both have free options.

It's been years and I've only had a month of downtime off of a free service, not bad.

KeyMaster45

Gone Gonzo
Jun 16, 2008
Jonabob87 said:
They're not having to, they're choosing to. Out of warranty.

Either you're not paying attention to what I'm saying, or you WANT to be pissy about this. Either way I'm done with this idiotic conversation.
I'm not being pissy at all, I'm trying to explain to you why I believe what I believe. Granted I did and still take offense to you continuing to claim I have not read the article properly. Despite not having a single shred of quantifiable evidence other than your belief that I fail to understand and subsequently agree with your line of thinking. You're the one who seems to be getting angry over it. I'll try and make my stance simpler.

--They release an update that causes my console to be unable to read disks.

--According to Microsoft the problem caused by the update is such:
Microsoft said:
"Following a recent update to our system software, we have become aware of an issue that is preventing a very small number of Xbox 360 owners from playing retail game discs."
--Their solution to the problem is to replace my current console with a new one. It is unusable if it cannot read discs. It can no longer fulfill it's primary function. It has become a large paper weight equivalent to that of a brick. Thus it is bricked.

--Since I have not had the ability to update my console for the duration of the academic year I can assume that since I own an older model it would be prudent for me to simply not reconnect it to the internet if I wish for it to remain functional. If I have to keep it forever disconnected from the internet to prevent it from being broken by the update then so be it; I don't play any multiplayer games on it as it stands so the effects on my normal play habits would continue to be negligible at worst.

I am sorry if my lack of elation at the prospect of breaking my system (however small that risk my be) makes no sense to you, but I have done my best to explain the reasoning my decision is based on. It, however, seems too have only served too further infuriate you for some reason. If my reasoning still continues to confound you then I see no reason why we can't simply agree to disagree and go our separate ways.

Johnnyallstar

Feb 22, 2009
Thedek said:
Johnnyallstar said:
PixelKing said:
But my xbox already did this 2 fucking times before and I bought 2 new fucking xboxs.
/rage /cry.
I don't think it was from an official firmware update, though.

I kinda with mine was effected, though. My disk tray has been acting all buggy. But back to LA Noir!
I had noir freeze up a time or two but they mean disc read errors right? I recall some game doing that maybe a month ago but I think it was a used game and I think it's been working the last half dozen times or so. Besides I have an elite so it probably isn't effected.

Though Sony needs to learn from MS. This is how you suck up to fans when you screw up. You suck as hard as you possibly can.
Haha agreed with what you said. I think Noir's problem is that it has some bugs still in it, as I've had it freeze up a few times myself. And yes, Sony needs to learn how to beg and plead and bend over for the customers when they screw up. They did offer a handful of games for free download, though, like LBP 1.

punipunipyo

Jan 20, 2011
theultimateend said:
punipunipyo said:
No Gold is the ONLY way you can play games with your friends.

That's why I stopped playing 360. I know its only a couple bucks a month but all the games I wanted to play were on the PS3 too anyways (or the PC) and those both have free options.

It's been years and I've only had a month of downtime off of a free service, not bad.
Oh... that's why... they keep saying "X360 had to PAY to play online..." that's what they were talking about? I see... then what IS PSN+? because I now have like a month or two for free... and I know not the difference... do I get free weapons upgrades? or at lease speed hack?

theultimateend

Nov 1, 2007
punipunipyo said:
Oh... that's why... they keep saying "X360 had to PAY to play online..." that's what they were talking about? I see... then what IS PSN+? because I now have like a month or two for free... and I know not the difference... do I get free weapons upgrades? or at lease speed hack?
PSN+ is an optional payment system for extra perks and support.

Quite a bit different than forced purchasing.

Anywho, I don't know who "they" are. I own both consoles. So if you are looking for one of those silly little fights you'll need to quote someone else. I really don't care enough to feign the interest in a "this or that" discussion.

Natural Philosopher

Mar 2, 2011
How can I verify if this happened to my xbox through the website? I do have an older xbox and I haven't been able to play anything as of late due to a more than normally persistent Open Tray error. I'm kind of hoping it is but I also just got a new copy of Battlefront II today so I'm torn lol.

bpm195

May 21, 2008
I remember like a year ago posting that the Microsoft's DRM changes for the Xbox would most likely screw over a minority of users, and having people argue vehemently against me as I was just being paranoid and unreasonable.

Thanks for proving me right Microsoft.

RobCoxxy

Feb 22, 2009
Apparently my games are dvds.
On the phone to xbox support "checking if it's to do with the spring update" -_-