First Dark Souls 3 DLC is Titled Ashes of Ariandel, Coming in October

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
First Dark Souls 3 DLC is Titled Ashes of Ariandel, Coming in October

News of the first Dark Souls 3 DLC is coming to light through a now-removed tweet from PlayStation.

Last week, the official Dark Souls Twitter account [https://twitter.com/DarkSoulsGame/status/765820537599918080] teased a "major announcement" for tomorrow, August 24. Today, a tweet from PlayStation (that has since been deleted) revealed the name and release date of the first Dark Souls 3 DLC.

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1344/1344952.jpg

The tweet (seen above) says that the first DLC for Dark Souls 3 will be titled Ashes of Ariandel, and it will be released (at least on PS4) on October 25. Earlier this week, Siliconera [http://www.siliconera.com/2016/08/23/dark-souls-iii-first-dlc-adds-new-weapons-new-magic-and-a-pvp-exclusive-map/] translated a report from "Japanese video game magazines" saying that the first DLC would launch on October 26. This could be a difference in launch dates for different regions, or one of the dates could be inaccurate.

Also included in that translation is the news that the DLC will include a new PvP-exclusive map called "Immortal Competition." Finally, the price of the DLC in Japan will be 1,200 yen (which converts to about $12), while the season pass with both the first and second DLC will run you $25 on Steam. Obviously, it's likely the US price will be higher than $12, considering that it would be cheaper to buy the two DLCs separately.

We'll be sure to keep an ear to the ground for tomorrow's announcement, and let you know if any of this information changes.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Note to self, actually complete this game.

And i hope this isn't pure PVP, I think we all know Dark Souls' PVP is a bit of a mess at the best of times.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Ariendel doesn't ring a bell, so it's probably new lore. Cool.

Hopefully I am not too far down the Legion rabbit hole by the time this comes out. I'll need to get some characters ready for it.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
erttheking said:

And I hope this isn't pure PVP, I think we all know Dark Souls' PVP is a bit of a mess at the best of times.
As someone who hasn't gotten into this aspect of the series yet (I was invaded once in the original and it hasn't happened yet in 3), could you explain why? Is it because of the inherent lack of structure, or are some things just really broken in PvP?

Solo-Wing

Wanna have a bad time?
Dec 15, 2010
ABout time for the DLC to be announced. Cannot wait! *Starts 5th playthrough of DS3*

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2010
RedDeadFred said:
erttheking said:

And I hope this isn't pure PVP, I think we all know Dark Souls' PVP is a bit of a mess at the best of times.
As someone who hasn't gotten into this aspect of the series yet (I was invaded once in the original and it hasn't happened yet in 3), could you explain why? Is it because of the inherent lack of structure, or are some things just really broken in PvP?
One aspect is lag, it can and will happen, which is a bit of a downer, considering the nature of the combat.

On Topic; Dark Souls 3, the game I forgot I owned...

Not particularly looking forward to this DLC as I haven't bothered to defeat the final boss yet and I bought the game on launch...

wulfy42

Jan 29, 2009
I rented this game and always planned on buying it on the PC (if the bugs ever got worked out for that platform) when it went on sale.

It hasn't had a big sale yet though, and since I finished it (more then once) when I rented it.....playing through as almost every combo possible (melee only, hybrid, magic only (hardest) and even mostly through as ranged only), I really don't have a huge reason to get it again anytime soon. Hopefully the DLC will be big enough and add something that makes it worth getting again (along with a decent sale on the pc version.

I did really like the game, but didn't find it nearly as challenging, especially after the first playthrough (which was my hardest).

Not really sure if DLC can draw me back in, but can't wait to find out what it will be.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
Bring it. I am ready. I can't wait to see what lore questions they answer--if any at all. I can't wait for new weapons, new outfits, and new everything. Trailer tomorrow too please? Yes?

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
RedDeadFred said:
erttheking said:

Bit of both. There are certain meta builds that work really well in PVP and if you don't dump points into certain builds and level equipment in certain ways you're woefully unprepared. Basically experimenting casually and going off on your own for building a character will lead you to being utterly destroyed. Basically too many times you get invaded it feels like this.

http://new1.fjcdn.com/pictures/Pvp+in+dark+souls+this+is+pretty+much+how+i_1b40ba_4972209.png

Though to be fair 3 feels more balanced, though I have heard people who like to invade have complained that things are heavily slanted against them.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
erttheking said:
Though to be fair 3 feels more balanced, though I have heard people who like to invade have complained that things are heavily slanted against them.
I will admit, I get a chuckle whenever people complain "Invading is unfair for the invader!". Maybe it's just because I detest the invasion mechanic and have no qualms about pulling the plug the few times I've been invaded.

Infernal Lawyer

Jan 28, 2013
Dalisclock said:
erttheking said:
I will admit, I get a chuckle whenever people complain "Invading is unfair for the invader!". Maybe it's just because I detest the invasion mechanic and have no qualms about pulling the plug the few times I've been invaded.
This is me as well, even after I got decent internet (seriously, fuck this game's method of handling lag, since it makes slower weapons almost useless) and better at PvP. Forcing random multiplayer against strangers who may or may not be completely overpowered (and that's ignoring the whole "cheaters breaking other people's save file" thing that happened a while ago") just isn't great for someone like me who would rather progress through the game at a steady pace instead of worrying about getting invaded just as I chug my last bit of Estus.

antidonkey

Dec 10, 2009
Huh.....it comes out on my birthday. I'm sure I'll get it but Dark Souls 3 has been disappointing. I like the game but it didn't hook like the others in the series. In fact, it made want to go back to Bloodborne. I still need to beat that game with the parasite weapon.