First exposure to Japanese animation

niknar266

Sep 22, 2011
My first exposure was a VHS of the late 80s Guyver anime my older brother. it was just 1 or 2 episodes I saw small snippets of. I didn't get exposed to anime properly til pokemon and the Toonami lineup of DBZ, gundam Wing, tenchi muyo etc.

Miss G.

Jun 18, 2013
Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, Sailor Moon, and Pokemon. My aunt watched the shows a lot (when we were little) and put them on for us when we were visiting since we didn't have cable or satellite at our house.

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
Probably Dragonball Z or one of the early Pokemon games. Good times.

Do4600

Oct 16, 2007
FizzyIzze said:
That's why I will always push this on you guys:
[/spoiler][/QUOTE] Ah, I love that movie so much.

The first exposure I remember was on a Saturday morning on the sci-fi channel, they played
[spoiler=This!][MEDIA=youtube]ICiNsGCwvBA[/MEDIA]Ah, those missiles are still awesome.[/spoiler]

Actually, I think it was 9:00 am Sat Feb 1 1997 because I distinctly remember seeing "Record of the Lodoss War" and I taped "Roujin Z" the next week. Then I would go outside and play and be back in before I recorded MST3K at 4:00pm. It's so weird how remembering when that happened reminds me so much of the rest of my life 16 years ago. Feels man.

After that, I watched it every Saturday. That was before cable and in particular the Sci-Fi channel was ruined by network made shows and reality television.

DasDestroyer

Apr 3, 2010
My first exposure was through the shows that aired on cartoon channels like Cartoon Network, YTV and Teletoon(those last 2 are primarily Canadian, as far as I know), including:
Pokemon, which I didn't like too much
Digimon, which I adored
Dragonball Z, which was fun
and Card Captors, Sailor Moon, and possibly a few others that I don't remember nearly as well.
But I hadn't watched any sort of anime since about 9 years ago when I moved out of Canada and didn't have access to those channels anymore, and I've only been dragged back into anime thanks to Katawa Shoujo, which got me into Visual Novels, which in turn have gotten me into anime.

crazygameguy4ever

Jul 2, 2012
z3tzilla said:
Hmmm... As a kid I used to watch a certain TV channel that would show some old anime TV series, like Speed Racer, G-Force, UFO Robo Grendizer. I used to draw grendizer battles when it wasn't airing :)
Not that I knew that these shows were japanese. To me, they were no different from other cartoons like Transformers, or, say, Exo-Squad.

Somewhere around the time I was in middle school Sailor Moon and Pokemon boom happened. Almost everybody watched those, but not a lot of people were willing to admit that ("you watch sailor moon? what are you, a girl?", "you watch pokemon? what are you, a five year old?"). But yeah, these were the ones i watched and knew that they've come from Japan.

EstrogenicMuscle said:
crazygameguy4ever said:
mine was ..unfortunately.. and regrettably.. sailormoon... and that show sucked ass...
NO... HUH-UH. NO. THAT OPINION IS WRONG.

You will repent to the goddess right now, sir. Here we burn unrepentant heathens at the stake.

All i can say is.. never!! Sailor moon can suck... and not in the good way...