First game ever played?

Hookman

Jul 2, 2008
Donkey Kong country 2 for the SNES. God I loved that game. That reminds me,I need to get a new SNES.

SquirrelPants

Dec 22, 2008
Shadow Warrior on the PC.
It was sort of a spiritual counterpart to Duke Nukem, both are from 3D realms, and I still enjoy both of them. Though it's violent to the extreme. =D

Eclectic Dreck

Sep 3, 2008
My earliest gaming memories come from a trio of games for computers, before it was even remotely fashionable for computers to play games (mid 80's). One was castle - an graphic adventure game of primitive quality. The objective was to simply escape a castle. The graphics were given courtesy of the ASCI special character set. I know not how much progress I made in the game but as far as I was concerned it was damn near unbeatable.

The second was alley cat, a slightly more advanced game. I cannot recall what the objective was though I do know the game involved avoiding junk being thrown out of windows while climbing up a series of obstacles.

The third was bouncing babies, and I have seen this concept reiterated many times over. Basically, you controlled a pair of firemen holding a trampoline. Babies were being tossed out of a burning building. Your goal was to use the trampoline to bounce the children to the safety of the waiting ambulance. As the game progressed you were forced to juggle many children at once.

None of those games really had much of an impression on me though. When the NES first came out and my parents picked one up, the only games we had were Super Mario Brothers/Duck Hunt (which came bundled with the console) and Golf (my dad's pick). For quite awhile these games failed to draw me into the fold.

The first game that I truly loved, and what probably represents my first step into geekdowm was Captian Skyhawk, which I got for christmas in 1990. As luck would have it, there was a war on at the time and the news was full of coverage of Allied planes bombing some target or another. I don't recall ever really connecting the dots in a specific way, but I can only assume the Gulf War probably had more than a little bit to do with my love of that game.

Other memorable milestones include the first game I played on the internet (Duke Nukem 3d, thanks to the third party program internet commit), the first game I purchased myself with money from something resembling employment (Unreal), my first MMO (Arctic, a MUD), and the first online game I actually became good at (Team Fortress/TF Mega for Quake I).

odBilal

Feb 7, 2009
I cant remember the name but maybe someone of you can help me
it was a jump n run with a guy on a pogostick, with aliens. on MS DOS

Dr. UBAR

Dec 24, 2008
Super mario 64! It makes it really difficult to truly appreciate though, it being revolutionary and all.

ZP---Fanatic

Dec 29, 2008
Teh first game i SAW was a really old silent hill being played by my brother,and the first one i played was pitfall on sega,or pong,cant remember...

Zenode

Jan 21, 2009
Major Striker

That game is still wikid even after 17 years of being out :)

Look it up

Aardvark Soup

Jul 22, 2008
Super Mario Bros. and Duck Hunt where the very first games I ever played if I'm correct. Soon after that it were shareware games on floppy disks and console games on the NES, SNES and Mega Drive. The first non-PC game I really owned was Pokémon Yellow, when I was 10 years old.

MisterAnarchist

Feb 10, 2009
My entire childhood is a blur of old NES games. But my favorites were Metroid, Sector Z, Life Force, Super Mario Bros. 3, and Legend of Zelda.

jahsol

Jan 14, 2009
StickManRampage said:
Curiosity, what is the first game you can remember playing? Also what system was it for?

For me it was Super Mario Land for Game Boy, but i was 5 so i had a Game Boy Color to play it on =D
Duck Duck Goose, Red Rover, Memory, Chutes n Ladders, Hungry Hungry Hippo's...oh you meant video games...I think maybe Asteroids at the arcade.