First game you ever played? Have you ever finished it?

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
The first game I played couldn't be finished. It was some kind of pre-DOS shooting gallery thing. A cursor would move randomly over a target, and if you wanted to shoot you had to press the spacebar (as that thing didn't have a mouse yet). Each hit gave you points depending on how close to the bullseye you were and each consecutive shot moved faster and faster over the target. After three missed shots it was a game over.

So it just kept getting faster and faster and faster until it was impossible to hit something. No levels or anything, just top-scores.

Bad Jim

Nov 1, 2010
First games I remember were those LED games like Astro Wars, Caveman, Scramble etc. They can't be completed as such but you can overflow the score counter, which I did for all of them. My cousins had a Commodore 64 before we did and I remember playing International Soccer, Ghostbusters and Ad Infinitum, all of which I eventually beat

The Artificially Prolonged

Random Semi-Frequent Poster
Jul 15, 2008
Sonic the Hedgehog on my mega drive is the earliest game I can remember playing. I couldn't complete it, I always got suck in the Labyrinth Zone every time (screw water levels in Sonic). To be fair, young me sucked at platformers and present me is too busy lazy to go back to it.

dessertmonkeyjk

Nov 5, 2010
It was either Commander Keen 4 or Jill of the Jungle on MSDOS (PC). I managed to beat them years later when I knew what I was doing... and save scrubbing :/.

Dopefish doesn't screw around, son.

targren

May 13, 2009
Nope. I'm with the guy up there. Space Invaders on the Atari 2600 didn't have a kill screen or an endgame. :)

renegade7

Feb 9, 2011
Super Mario Gallery 2...so technically that couldn't be completed :/

But Zelda: Link's Awakening was the other first game I played. I was 6. I didn't beat until I was 17 :p

Quazimofo

Aug 30, 2010
minesweeper most probably, as i began dicking around on my mum's computer at the tender age of 18 months.
first actual game though? with a story and such? or even some less arcadey gameplay? pajama sam or freddy fish, one of the 2.

the next game i remember playing is red alert 2, or was it goldeneye? i cant remember, those years are all kind of a blur.

Klumpfot

Dec 30, 2009
'Twas either Super Mario Bros. or Solomon's Key for the NES. I've finished SMB at least 10 times, but I have never beaten Solomon's Key. It is brutally difficult.

Freaky Lou

Nov 1, 2011
I think it was Battletanx on Game Boy Colour, which I did indeed finish.

Unless of course we count Putt-Putt Enters The Parade, which I also completed. It's not exactly a difficult little adventure.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
My first video game was the Duck Hunt/ Super Mario Brothers dual cart. I don't think Duck Hunt has an actual end but I have beaten Super Mario Brothers before. I don't remember how far I've made it in Duck Hunt.

malestrithe

Aug 18, 2008
Donkey Kong in the Arcade. Yes, I beat it, well saw the end screen anyway.

Home, It was ET for the 2600. And I saw the ending.

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
I likely played over 100 games that didnt have an ending before I actually played one with one.

wait, does cup and ball count? Didnt specify video game, right?

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011

Yeah, I've beaten it a bunch of times, much to the surprise of my best friend, who has always been moderately terrible at the Sonic the Hedgehog games. "Labyrinth Zone" did give me problems for a while, though.

Though I'm not actually sure if Sonic was the first game I ever played, or if it was this:

Because we had both of them around the same time.

irmasterlol

Apr 11, 2012
Galaga. Apparently my dad was an arcade pro at it, and he introduced me. I never could beat it though. At home it was the Hercules Action Game that tied in to the Disney movie. I did finish that one.

Fluffythepoo

Sep 29, 2011
Woulda been a game gear game.. ive never finished a game gear game despite spending hours upon hours playing them

kortin

Mar 18, 2011
Well, the game that I can remember that I actually seriously tried to beat was The Legend of Zelda Link's Awakening, which I got when I was 4 and never beat. My parents bought me it, a gameboy color (It was green :D) and pokemon Yellow, which I never beat as well.

Not being able to read made playing the games a "Let's explore every tile of the game for several hours! :D" sort of thing. It was fun though. Perhaps I should emulate Link's Awakening and finish it...