First games that come to mind

bassman118

Jul 16, 2009
1) Torchlight 2
2) Terraria
3) Team Fortress 2

Because they're all good, fun, aesthetically pleasing games and also I kinda need someone to play them with

Suicidal_Ferret

Aug 9, 2010
First that came to mind was Battlefield 3.

Then Borderlands 2.

Then Skyrim.

Battlefield 3 is different from CoD in many ways. Slower pacing, more emphasis on teamwork, greater variety in tactics, the addition of vehicles.

Borderlands 2 is just...wacky. I have a Longbow Bonus Package grenade. When thrown, this grenade teleports EXACTLY where I want it. And then it blows up, releasing 9 grenades...one of which will release 9 more grenades. I had an SMG that sounded like a psychotic midget when fired. I have a turret that releases a mini nuke when deployed. That's just crazy!

And then Skyrim. There's not even guns.

Fluffythepoo

Sep 29, 2011
had an fps friend ask something similar so i started listing rts games, then he reminded me that "fuck rts's" so i offered diablo 3 and he loved it (i wouldnt offer him tl2 because d3 is better.. so there)

so top 3..

1. Diablo 3 (clicky clicky)
2. Demigod (rpg feel, dota format, doesnt punish noob like dota)
3. some mmo (prolly wow on account of it being the best)

and no ur not odd op

COMaestro

Vae Victis!
May 24, 2010
Anthraxus said:
He says he wants something COMPLETELY different, yet ppl recommend other FPS.
[http://imgur.com/4e4TP]
Indeed, I was finding that pretty funny myself.

For me, I think I'd have to recommend

Batman: Arkham Asylum (and then suggest he play City)
Assassin's Creed 2
Uncharted 2

I picked the 2nd AC and Uncharted games because I feel they improved upon the originals a good deal. With luck, if my friend took my advice and tried these, he'd look into the originals on his own. These are just the first things that came to mind, but depending on what else I knew of my friend's interests, I might swap something out for a good RPG or strategy game.

Eclectic Dreck said:
We were asked for games that are good for someone who played Call of Duty almost exclusively to branch out to. Suggesting a game for a console the guy probably doesn't have on hand that is old, ugly, and different in every possible way is not a good suggestion.
As the person above me mentioned, the friend is asking for something completely different than CoD. You can go with another FPS in a different setting like Bioshock or Borderlands, but it's still pretty similar. For that matter, my suggestion of Uncharted would still be pretty similar, just 3rd person instead of 1st, though the platforming adds an element that a CoD player would not have experienced. I haven't played Dead Space so I can't comment on it, other than knowing it is 3rd persona sci-fi/horror, so at least removed from the CoD formula by that much.

Powereaver

Apr 25, 2010
Persona 4
The Longest Journey
Legend of Grimrock

I tried to pick from a few different game categories but in the end all great games from their respective genres!

Rose and Thorn

May 4, 2012
If someone asked me this I would probably tell them to go ask someone else. I would hate to be the one to recommend this guy an game/RPG, that he might not like and blame me for his purchase. I have had many people in life recommend me a game, and when I do they never like it. So I just say "Ask someone else".

I guess Borderlands might be a good choice, it will introduce them to new mechanics, like loot, RPG leveling/skills, not fighting online, but it will also keep that shooting that I would already know they like. It would be a good intoduction for a shooter/COD player into a new genre. Fallout 3, also might work.

Reven

Feb 7, 2012
Now since he asked for completely different:

1.Kotor/Kotor 2 (i know its kinda like cheating, but it would help starting from the first one, then moving to the second's superior story that gets even better if you actually played the first) Both are available on steam now so shouldn't be hard to grab.

2. Planescape: Torment, tell him to grit his teeth initially to get used to it (i did) and the story will sweep him away.

3. League of legends: This is the only game i can think of that getting better in it doesn't feel like a chore, the initial learning curve is a bit harsh, but i can honestly say that it is one of my favorite MP games, and one that i haven't gotten bored of despite playing it for way longer than nearly any other game.

charge52

Apr 29, 2012
1. Arcanum, though I will probably leave that till later so he can ease himself into shit tons of customization, also Isometric perspective might catch him off guard.
2. An MMO, preferably DnD online or LOTRO because I play both already.
3. Banjo Tooie
4. Yes I know 3 but the first was a depends on the situation kind of game so Earthworm Jim 1.

Nah you ain't weird, you just like the style.

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
Saints Row 3, Sid Meier's Alpha Centuri, Zelda: Twilight princess and skyward sword, Bastion, TF2, Super Meatboy and Pokemon is what I would recommend off the top of my head.

Darren716

Jul 7, 2011
1. Bioshock (it's still a hooter but it has more of a brain)
2. Fallout 3 or NV (probably NV, basically has the same stuff they're used to but is much deeper once they learn)
3. TF2 (hell it's free so they have nothing to lose)

thethird0611

Feb 19, 2011
Hmm, maybe I can help some since im an avid Call of Duty fan and loved MOH because it was a GOOD game. No were near COD though.

1. Dark Souls (with a guide)
2. Assassins Creed
3. Portal 2/Fallout New Vegas. Both came to mind, couldnt pick 1.

crimson sickle2

Sep 30, 2009
Legened of Zelda in general (or Okami): its necessary
Darksouls: shooters are made to cater to anger, Darksouls feeds off of it
Bastion: slightly new game, awesome story, good gameplay

I'd like to say Rayman Origins or any fighter, but Rayman may be a bit too weird for them and fighters take time and initial interest. The first two choices also help transition between action to more rpg type games.

babinro

Sep 24, 2010
1. Diablo 3 : Because I'm actively playing this game and it's awesome
2. Rock Band : Because it's my favorite game of all-time
3. COD : Because I just finished reading your thread referencing the game. I've only ever played COD4:MW and it was a worthy purchase.

Exius Xavarus

Casually hardcore. :}
May 19, 2010
Okami
Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus
Prince of Persia: Sands of Time

Those would be the first three. Bonus points because Okami has a sequel and Sly Cooper and Prince of Persia are both the beginning of a four title series.

JEBWrench

Apr 23, 2009
juyunseen said:
Well, the first three titles out of my mouth were Okami, Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker, and Team Fortress 2. I didn't even think about it, they just kinda came out.

So my question is twofold. 1: What three games would be your first recommendations for your own hypothetical military shooter friend, and 2: is it odd that the three games that I thought of first were all non-realistic, stylized and cell shaded games?
Answer to the first fold:
Dwarf Fortress, Beyond Good and Evil, Myst (Though if pressed I prefer Riven, I'd recommend starting at the very beginning with that series)

Second fold: Of course it is. At least one of them should have been an ASCII game. (Real answer probably agrees with something someone else has probably said about unique aesthetics that make them easily identifiable and whatnot and so forth.)

juyunseen

Nov 21, 2011
JEBWrench said:
juyunseen said:
Well, the first three titles out of my mouth were Okami, Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker, and Team Fortress 2. I didn't even think about it, they just kinda came out.

So my question is twofold. 1: What three games would be your first recommendations for your own hypothetical military shooter friend, and 2: is it odd that the three games that I thought of first were all non-realistic, stylized and cell shaded games?
Answer to the first fold:
Dwarf Fortress, Beyond Good and Evil, Myst (Though if pressed I prefer Riven, I'd recommend starting at the very beginning with that series)

Second fold: Of course it is. At least one of them should have been an ASCII game. (Real answer probably agrees with something someone else has probably said about unique aesthetics that make them easily identifiable and whatnot and so forth.)
Of course. How could I NOT offer an ASCII game.
In fact, I'll go a step further and get him to play ZORK!

Reptiloid

Nov 10, 2010
1. Painkiller
2. Serious Sam
3. F.E.A.R.

All solid FPS experiences with fantastic fun and challenging gameplay, meaty and satisfying guns with powerful sound FX, and most importantly, solid single player focused campaigns. Everything CoD isn't. If none of those would get this hypothetical friend to see the light, there would be no hope.