First 'Holy Moly' Next Gen Graphics Moment?

Pink Gregory

Jul 30, 2008
Daystar Clarion said:
First thing that comes to mind is Metal Gear Solid 2.

I remember when the first trailers were released prior to the release of the PS2.

Blew my goddamn childhood mind.
What's great is that it still stands up, a game I picked up for £1 used (god knows why I sold my copy of MGS2 Substance...) still has superlative graphical prowess; shows what can really be done with aesthetics.

Smeggs

Oct 21, 2008
The intro cutscene to Digimon World 3, which was one of the first games I played when I stepped up from a SNES to PS1.

"OH MY GOD, LOOK AT THE 3D, THIS IS SO COOL!"

SomeLameStuff

What type of steak are you?
Apr 26, 2009
Half Life 2 for me. My mind was also blown when I realised I could pick up random stuff from the ground. Spent ages in the train station just flinging garbage at people.

Hemlet

Jul 31, 2009
For me it was when I made the jump from the NES to the N64 (never got to play a SNES as a kid). I knew who Mario was, but seeing him in 3D for the first time blew my fucking mind.

I was so stunned by the animations and how everything looked that I dicked around in the castle courtyard for a good hour just jumping and swimming around (also HOLY SHIT MARIO COULD SWIM).

What's funny was I remember thinking: "This is the future. Nothing will ever look better than this."

HA

LordofSquirrels

Aug 21, 2012
Ironically, another recent 'meep' moment, though less so, was when I played the Amazing Spiderman, and it wasn't necessarily even because of the graphical quality, though I think the game looks pretty nice. Basically it's the first giant robot boss, the one that bursts from the ground with the big legs, and you have to beat it by swinging in circles around it knocking out vents or whatnot... it was by far the most enjoyable Spiderman boss battle I'd ever played, its simplicity aside, because the last time I had FELT so much immediate danger was when I played one of the super-early Spiderman games back on the old consoles, and Carnage-Doc-Ock was chasing me through the vents. Maybe it was the close camera angles, the quick movements, but all I could think doing this was 'Oh shit oh shit oh shit ohshit!"

Course, that was NOTHING compared to the giant killer death cyberworm. @_@

I remember Digimon World 3! Well, it might not have been 3, I remember it really vaguely, but I quite enjoyed it; it's a bit of a shame that it never really seemed to take off, or last as long, as Yu Gi Oh or Pokemon... unless there's some underground Digimovement I'm too old and jaded to be aware of. x3

Zeema

The Furry Gamer
Jun 29, 2010
Smeggs said:
The intro cutscene to Digimon World 3, which was one of the first games I played when I stepped up from a SNES to PS1.

"OH MY GOD, LOOK AT THE 3D, THIS IS SO COOL!"
YES GOOD SIR ITS GODDAM AMAZING

i loved that game <3

LordofSquirrels

Aug 21, 2012
....damnit, now I have the theme song stuck in my head. >_< "Digimon, digital monsters, Digimon are the champions..."

AceDefective

Mar 23, 2009
neonsword13-ops said:
That part in Fallout 3 when you first leave the vault and you're blinded by light.

Then, when your eyes adjust, you are met with the harsh looking wasteland in front of you.

That moment just tops them all in terms of awe factor.
I'll have to agree with this one
Starting you off on that hill with the promise of adventure awaiting in every direction.
It's a good way to start off a game.

Oblivion (Which was the first game I got on my 360) had a similar opening after you left the prison. With the dungeon in front of you, Imperial City behind, and open wilderness to the sides I didn't even know where to start.

Fasckira

Dice Tart
Oct 22, 2009
Half Life's intro kind of had a "Wow" effect on me as it just seemed really impressive at the time. When it comes to consoles though, I think Assassins Creed tops it when you first synch at a tower and the camera pans out to reveal the surrounding area. Beautiful moment.

LordofSquirrels

Aug 21, 2012
Fasckira said:
Half Life's intro kind of had a "Wow" effect on me as it just seemed really impressive at the time. When it comes to consoles though, I think Assassins Creed tops it when you first synch at a tower and the camera pans out to reveal the surrounding area. Beautiful moment.
Half Life 2 actually really got to me, not so much in graphics given I was a late-comer to playing it, but just the sheer fun of some of its sequences. Like racing to get across the tracks before an oncoming train blocked it off, the sheer variety of environments and ways you could very easily die a horrible death... lots of 'This is ****ing AWESOME!' moments for me.

Sean Hollyman

Jun 24, 2011
My first next gen game I ever played was Heavenly Sword on the PS3, and I thought the graphics looked really good and they still do.

Offworlder_v1legacy

Ya Old Mate
May 3, 2009
Oblivion on the 360 I think.

The sewer was a good build up then you step into the sun and....well at the time it blew my mind.
I know it all looks dated now but at the time it was the hottest shit going. around.

Inconspicuous Trenchcoat

Shinku Hadouken!
Nov 12, 2009
Earliest time I can remember being floored by graphics was Mario 64 for the Sega Dreamcast (is funny joke ^^ cause 64 is in the title). The internet was young, so I avoided pictures and mostly stuck to text on GameFaqs. I had never seen a Playstation being played. So, I jumped from a SNES and Genesis to a N64. I had seen better graphics in arcades, but it being in my own house was mind blowing. The environments, and wall jumping in a 3D world enthralled me. Seeing beloved characters (not Peach and Toads, obviously) in bright, colorful 3D melting my little brain.

Bioshock caused me some awe as well, but not it or anything has reached Mario 64 level. Bioshock was just so incredible on high settings! The water looked amazing, walking through that collapsing tunnel at the beginning of the game. Everything was so pretty, even the dirty sinks were a sight. Unfortunately, when I actually had to aim and shoot, my pitiful 8-12 FPS was too crippling to play the game. It looked so much less astounding on Medium, and then even more drab on low (which I would have to play on to get decent frames) that I was too saddened to play it. I didn't pick it up again until a year or two later, when my computer was much better.

The opening cinematic for Super Smash Brothers Melee was astounding to watch on a beautiful Christmas morning.

Crysis: Warhead (I still haven't played more than 5 minutes of Crysis, but have beaten this one and 2) was a delight for the eyes. For the 5 minutes of Crysis I played... well, it was slighty fugly in my opinion. Especially the geometry. Although from a distance, when parachuting in, it was lovley. I think Warhead and Crysis 2 look better :/. This was coming off of beating 2 on Ultra (no DX11 or high res texture pack); and I was playing Crysis on Ultra.

I think I remember Oblivion looking great, but being sad I had nowhere near the computer to play it. I think that's when dual-cores were brand new, and Oblivion listed it as a recommended spec; I think I had a Pentium 3 @800MHz at the time, haha.

The intro sequence to Half Life is still one of my favorite beginnings to a game. So immersive and cool. Even if it does get way too long on subsequent (attempts at) playthroughs.

Dissidia and God of War surprised me on my PSP. I remember being somewhat fascinated watching a friend play Grand Theft Auto on his PSP when it was brand new. Hehe, back when 256MB flash memory was large and expensive.

Going up to the second story of the city of Hengsha in Deus Ex: HR was pretty neat.

kasperbbs

Dec 27, 2009
Half-Life 2 was probably the first one to impress me so much, sounds, physics, facial animations, every aspect of that game blew my mind and the fact that i ran it on a pretty slow machine on max settings without issues only added to my happiness. The next one would probably be The Witcher 2 - That forest looked fucking amazing as did most things in that game.

IanDavis

Blue Blaze Irregular 1st Class
Aug 18, 2012
Playing the Doom 3 demo. Because of its minimum memory requirements, I had a hard time finding a machine that could run it, but when I did, oh man. I was never so freaked out in a game before or since. I remember an early scene where a demon bangs on a door, trying to get through. I froze and pointed my gun at it, terrified for when it would surly burst through. It never did, of course, but I stood there, knowing that it would break through the minute I turned around.

redisforever

Oct 5, 2009
I only got into the next gen gaming scene last December, with my PS3 purchase. Really, the first time I damn near peed myself from holy shit graphics! was probably with Red Dead Redemption. The rest was just kind of, well, nice, but not beautiful. That, and Journey, for various reasons.