Godzillarich(aka tf2godz)

Get the point
Legacy
Aug 1, 2011
Cretaceous
Country
USA
So TotalBiscuit did his review

I think it being mediocre was the worst outcome for this game Because if it was really bad it could I've been something fun to laugh at but instead we just get mediocre

Skatologist

Choke On Your Nazi Cookies
Jan 25, 2014
Wow does that look boring and something you'll get tired of within 10 minutes of playing.
Genocidicles said:
I'll probably pick it up, if only to prove there's more of a market for games like this than shit like Gone Home.
So...GTA V wasn't the piece of media that grossed a billion dollars first then? Or was that Gone Home?

SquallTheBlade

May 25, 2011
FirstNameLastName said:
F4TK said:
That's Postal 2. The original postal was just a psychotic guy murdering people because he believed the world was against him.

"The earth is hungry. Its heart throbs and demands cleansing. The earth is also thirsty..." Are quotes directly from that game all but said verbatim in Hatred at the end of a level. The top down gameplay and style make it pretty much a spiritual successor.
True, but it's important to remember that Postal 2 is pretty much the only reason anyone still remembers and cares about Postal 1.
What do you mean? When people compare Hatred to Postal they mean Postal 1, not 2, because that's the comparison that makes sense. I don't see how your statement is any way relevant to this.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Genocidicles said:
I'll probably pick it up, if only to prove there's more of a market for games like this than shit like Gone Home.
Is there? Say what you will about Gone Home, at least it was built with a purpose beyond trying to piss people off.

Bombiz

Apr 12, 2010
Genocidicles said:
imo this game and gone home are one in the same thing. Both are going to sell on controversy alone because theirs no real merit to the gameplay at all.

Tsun Tzu

Feuer! Sperrfeuer! Los!
Legacy
Jul 19, 2010
Country
Free-Dom
Ya know what? Watching the gameplay for this?

...It's nothing I haven't seen before and I find it rather...milquetoast at best.

Hell, I've done more brutal things in Wolfenstein. Seen more traumatic shit in Walking Dead.

I'm disappointed and I find that fact kind of unsettling.

Seeing it now?

What the fuck were all those pussy ass websites bitching about?!

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
I never understood the controversy surrounding this game. I mean, what can you do in this game, that you couldn't do in a game like, say, Grand Theft Auto, Saints Row, that one level from Modern Warfare 2, or to a lesser extend, PAYDAY 2?

Publications have been going on and on about this game, talking about how it is the most insensitive game in existence, but games like this have existed for years, and in most cases, are a lot more graphic than this game is.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
LostGryphon said:
Ya know what? Watching the gameplay for this?

...It's nothing I haven't seen before and I find it rather...milquetoast at best.

Hell, I've done more brutal things in Wolfenstein. Seen more traumatic shit in Walking Dead.

I'm disappointed and I find that fact kind of unsettling.

Seeing it now?

What the fuck were all those pussy ass websites bitching about?!
Probably because the trailer made it out to be worse than it actually was (At least according to Total Biscuit) and that the developers were deliberately talking about how it was trying to piss people off. About how it was against political correctness and "false philosophy". And against color, for Christ's sake, there IS color in the game, stylistically done color too. That's why the game did, and still does, piss me off. The game, standing on its own, would barely be a blip on my radar. The way the devs have been acting, going all "2edgy4u" and deliberately trying to drum up controversy instead of ACTUALLY MAKING A DECENT FUCKING GAME has just left me with a sour taste in my mouth.

I respect TB but there are times where I flat out disagree with him (and he gets on my nerves a bit). He says Hatred's publicity is because of "hang wringing, navel gazing" journalists. While that's partially the case, let's not pretend that that isn't EXACTLY what the devs wanted.

ExDeath730

Mar 13, 2012
Just watched TB's first impression...My only thought was..."Is that it?", i mean...Really? All this drama and whinning because of that?

Have those people not played GTA? Carmageddon? Manhunt? Freaking Mortal Kombat? Postal? Really, i can go on, because...That...Was tame. I've seen worse in other games, in movies, in TV shows and Anime as well. I mean...There was something about the "media maturing", the person who wrote that have some serious issues. Have he not watched Game Of Thrones, or even worse, something like Spartacus?

I just...Sorry, i can't get it, just can't. It's just a mediocre shooter, with some cool visuals and effects. That's it. For a first game? Cool, i'm interested in what the dev can make, and the big studios should hire the artists who worked in that, because it got some really cool visuals.

But the gameplay? It's so...Boring, i would probably be done with the game in less than 30 minutes. I have heard some people talking about modding it, and with those effects and visuals, modding that game could do wonders actually.

So yeah, if it develops a modding community, it's a title that can be interesting in the future. Right now? Waste of money (still, kudos for the art team).

Tsun Tzu

Feuer! Sperrfeuer! Los!
Legacy
Jul 19, 2010
Country
Free-Dom
erttheking said:
Probably because the trailer made it out to be worse than it actually was (At least according to Total Biscuit) and that the developers were deliberately talking about how it was trying to piss people off. About how it was against political correctness and "false philosophy". And against color, for Christ's sake, there IS color in the game, stylistically done color too. That's why the game did, and still does, piss me off. The game, standing on its own, would barely be a blip on my radar. The way the devs have been acting, going all "2edgy4u" and deliberately trying to drum up controversy instead of ACTUALLY MAKING A DECENT FUCKING GAME has just left me with a sour taste in my mouth.
They played it up for controversy and sales. Nothing new for a company/dev/whatever trying to sell a product, which is likely an indicator of the trashiness of said product. For that? The dev sucks, but they were smart about it.

Their doing that was to be expected. Just...the coverage of this title. The 'end of the/setting back the medium' whining diatribes and articles and whinging, mewling petulance. The outright banning by Twitch and GoG refusing to carry it. Steam pulling it (at one point) from greenlight and a god damned AO rating-

For this?

I sincerely didn't need any more of a reason to take these sites less seriously, but they've somehow managed to further solidify their complete and utter worthlessness.

FirstNameLastName

Premium Fraud
Nov 6, 2014
SquallTheBlade said:
FirstNameLastName said:
F4TK said:
That's Postal 2. The original postal was just a psychotic guy murdering people because he believed the world was against him.

"The earth is hungry. Its heart throbs and demands cleansing. The earth is also thirsty..." Are quotes directly from that game all but said verbatim in Hatred at the end of a level. The top down gameplay and style make it pretty much a spiritual successor.
True, but it's important to remember that Postal 2 is pretty much the only reason anyone still remembers and cares about Postal 1.
What do you mean? When people compare Hatred to Postal they mean Postal 1, not 2, because that's the comparison that makes sense. I don't see how your statement is any way relevant to this.
Upon rereading that, I realise it was somewhat irrelevant. I was simply pointing out that the mindless violence route seemed to do better with crude humour than edgyI feel unclean using that word, but it's the shoe that fits aesthetic.

tf2godz said:
So TotalBiscuit did his review

I think it being mediocre was the worst outcome for this game Because if it was really bad it could I've been something fun to laugh at but instead we just get mediocre
After watching this, I'm somewhat more positively disposition towards it. Not enough to actually buy it, but it seems like a decent -- if slightly boring -- game. Nothing great, nothing terrible, just average.

At the end of the day, it seems all the discussions over what differentiates it from GTA and Postal is simply the way the trailer over-sells its psychotic side. Looking at the gameplay, it really doesn't seem all that different from other violent games, well ... excluding the cringe worthy try-hard dialogue.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
LostGryphon said:
erttheking said:
They played it up for controversy and sales. Nothing new for a company/dev/whatever trying to sell a product, which is likely an indicator of the trashiness of said product. For that? The dev sucks, but they were smart about it.

Their doing that was to be expected. Just...the coverage of this title. The 'end of the/setting back the medium' whining diatribes and articles and whinging, mewling petulance. The outright banning by Twitch and GoG refusing to carry it. Steam pulling it (at one point) from greenlight and a god damned AO rating-

For this?

I sincerely didn't need any more of a reason to take these sites less seriously, but they've somehow managed to further solidify their complete and utter worthlessness.
Can I get a link to websites that say that Hatred is the "End of gaming" or "sets gaming back"? I googled it and I couldn't find anything.

Total Biscuit said it was "Literally Hitler" according to some website too, but I couldn't find anything on that either.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
I already have this game, but an earlier version called Postal. No, wait... Postal was actually more fun than this game looks to be. I wasn't impressed when I heard about it at first, I'm not impressed now. I had no real expectations either way though because I didn't care. Now people are making a bigger deal out of it than it deserves really, all because Steam took it down for a bit then put it back up on GL, then Twitch put it on their extremely limited set of games they won't allow you to stream and people blew a gasket.
All I can say is, meh. I don't think it has any inherent value and is playing off an old "shock factor" popularity rather than good gameplay and immersive story or mechanics.
Someone said that there aren't any other good indy games being developed? If this counts as "good" I'd hate to see what they consider "bad"... cuz this is at best a mediocre game trying to capitalize on yesterday's fad of murder simulators like Postal. Games with weak or no story, with shit mechanics and hamfisted attempts at being edgy and cool.
Its fine if you like those types of games and all, I won't agree with you, and I'll go a step further to say that this game wasn't necessary or asked for, people seem to just want to buy it to spite whatever version of "the man" they see themselves sticking it to which seems like an absolute waste of money just to teach some nebulous effigy (because there is no real person they're sticking it to) a lesson... whatever lesson buying a game you don't want would be, I've no fucking idea but it sounds pretty stupid. I just don't get people these days.

Tsun Tzu

Feuer! Sperrfeuer! Los!
Legacy
Jul 19, 2010
Country
Free-Dom
erttheking said:
Can I get a link to websites that say that Hatred is the "End of gaming" or "sets gaming back"? I googled it and I couldn't find anything.

Total Biscuit said it was "Literally Hitler" according to some website too, but I couldn't find anything on that either.
Ah, no, didn't communicate that the way I intended. The 'and' after those two quotes was meant to indicate the next thing on the list.

The 'sets the medium back' thing and similar stuff came from some neogaf posts I remember reading. But it's Neogaf, so, yeah, not exactly a den of intellectual excellence or tolerance.

Also, tumblr. God bless tumblr.

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
Graphics(besides the dude's hair), destruction, and blood looks pretty damn nice. Onto the gameplay, did anyone expect anything different? The game made it quite clear your only goal was to shoot people. Sure they could add a few goals of like blowing up a building or something, but the main purpose stands. Kill people. It sounds like it plays like a pretty standard isometric shooter, so something I'd pick up on Steam for like 5 dollars and play every now and again.

I find it funny people blame the developers for all the controversy and publicity this game got. When the media is who showed this game to the world screaming "LOOK AT THIS ABOMINATION!!!!" and then gave the developers a pedestal to just keep the train a' rollin'. Multiple people have said this so far and I'll repeat it. If people would have just ignored this game, if media had just moved on, this game would have had a silent release and then faded into obscurity pretty quickly.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
erttheking said:

I'm with you. I have followed the controversy when something relevant happened, and the only place I have heard the "think of the children" argument is from people making fun of it to defend the game (unless TB is referring to UK publications, which I haven't read). I find the controversy about this game fascinating because it was generated within the gaming community, and not from an external politician calling for censorship just for winning votes.

Now that I saw the gameplay from TB review, I can say the developers knew how to make a good trailer. But the next time I want them to make the game better than the video. And really, that character needs to be in a 100% satirical game.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
LostGryphon said:
erttheking said:

Ah, no, didn't communicate that the way I intended. The 'and' after those two quotes was meant to indicate the next thing on the list.

The 'sets the medium back' thing and similar stuff came from some neogaf posts I remember reading. But it's Neogaf, so, yeah, not exactly a den of intellectual excellence or tolerance.
Well it's just...ugh. I watched Total Biscuit's review and I think my respect for him went down a smidgen. He said things like "This game won't cause killing sprees" I'm just wondering "Did anyone claim it would?" See the way he generally acted made me realize that absolutely no one came out of this mess looking good. The developers made a controversial game for the sake of being controversal, games media fell for it hook line and sinker and gave the game a ton of free publicity and blowing the game out of proportion, and then people like TotalBiscuit criticize the media for blowing things out of proportion...while blowing what the media said out of proportion! People absolutely love hyperbole nowadays and honestly I just find it sad. I find it sad that so many of us, myself included sometimes, decry getting swept up into controversy and panic, jumping to conclusions and making baseless assumptions, yet we can only seem to hold up those values about things we like and happily break them when it's with something we don't like.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
CaitSeith said:
erttheking said:

I'm with you. I have followed the controversy when something relevant happened, and the only place I have heard the "think of the children" argument is from people making fun of it to defend the game (unless TB is referring to UK publications, which I haven't read). I find the controversy about this game fascinating because it was generated within the gaming community, and not from an external politician calling for censorship just for winning votes.

Now that I saw the gameplay from TB review, I can say the developers knew how to make a good trailer. But the next time I want them to make the game better than the video. And really, that character needs to be in a 100% satirical game.
Yeah, like I said with Gryphon it's driving me up the wall because it's responding to hyperbole...with hyperoble! I feel like that's what the discussion around gaming has devolved to nowadays, who can blow up the people they disagree with into the biggest cardboard cutout.

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
LostGryphon said:
The dev sucks, but they were smart about it.
I find it curious you're bemused by the stupidity of the gaming press for giving a terrible game coverage, and not at the stupidity of the audience for actually buying it.

If the developers were "smart" about hoodwinking the press into into drumming up coverage for their controversy bait, what does that say about the intelligence and discrimination of the people putting down money for it? Either in spite of the (ridiculously negative) coverage, or because of it?

If the answer to the question "How dumb is the gaming press to give obvious controversy-bait coverage" is "pretty dumb", what is the answer to "How dumb does someone have to be to actually BUY the fucking thing after the fact"?

erttheking said:
People absolutely love hyperbole nowadays and honestly I just find it sad.
There's nothing fundamentally bad or wrong about hyperbole. Hyperbole is a classic comedic device. The problem you're running into isn't people being hyperbolic, it's people incapable of understanding hyperbole, and believing it to be gospel.

I guarantee you right now there are people watching that video with a complete lack of critical thought or analysis who will later emerge on a forum and talk about how "the media" insisted Hatred would cause killing sprees. Someone else will read that post, and take it a step further. It's the purple monkey dishwater effect.

So hyperbole isn't the problem. Stupidity/ignorance is definitely a problem, but only part of the problem...most people aren't catastrophically stupid. Confirmation bias is probably more accurately the problem. If you're Tommy Anti-SJW, lookin' on yer interwebs for some SJW madness to flip your shit over, you're going to WANT to believe the media said Hatred would cause killing sprees. It was probably some of those corrupt journos! It fits nicely into an existing narrative, so it's Quality Information. You'll post about it on Gamer Conspiracy Central and get a warm fuzz.

By the same token, if you're given to loathe and hate everything about violent video games, you'll probably uncritically assume someone did a study to prove Hatred will cause killing sprees, and post about it on Huggleton Central, and get the same warm fuzz.

Then someone might come along and say "Hey guys no one actually said that", and it'll go in one ear and out the other, because it's NOT Quality Information, because it doesn't confirm the bias.

It's not worth getting sad over, because it's not going to improve. If anything you're going to see it get worse and worse as time goes by.

Bombiz

Apr 12, 2010
Elfgore said:
I find it funny people blame the developers for all the controversy and publicity this game got. When the media is who showed this game to the world screaming "LOOK AT THIS ABOMINATION!!!!" and then gave the developers a pedestal to just keep the train a' rollin'. Multiple people have said this so far and I'll repeat it. If people would have just ignored this game, if media had just moved on, this game would have had a silent release and then faded into obscurity pretty quickly.
It's more that they knowingly did this. It's like a SJW making a game having social justice themes(ex:Gone Home) knwoing all the media and controversy that's going to be surrounding it and still doing it anyways. Just ticks me the wrong way. It's like they don't even try. They know it's going to gain a lot of attention so they just ride that with out even trying to make a good game.

With that said I'm not excusing the media from this either. All they had to do was just not freak out over this game and it would've been over with.

In my eyes both parties are at fault here. The idiots who just won't let it go and the assholes who just couldn't care less.

Also the destruction is more a case of Unreal Engine 4 and not anything to do with the actual game