First man-to-man talk with your father.

rutger5000

Oct 19, 2010
I'm 20 and I just had my first man-to-man talk with my father. Sure I've talked with my father but those talks were different. Father-to-son, scientist-to-pupil, intellectual-to-intellectual, pupil-to-scientists (Finally there are fields I know more of then my father does), guy who is being oppressed by my mother-to-another guy who is being oppressed by my mother. (Love my mother, but she can be an absolute tyrant at times), etc etc.
Back to the issues I just had my first man-to-man talk with my father, and now I'm curious my fellow male escapists when was your first man-to-man talk.
To clarify with a man-to-man talk I mean discussing a guy-problem or a guy-matter. A subject you would't be able to address to a member of the fairer sex, or a subject that is better to talk about with a fellow man. (Would mostly involve girls or career plans I think)
By the way, 'the talk' can be a man-to-man talk. I was like 5/6 when I got my first sexual education (gotta love the Netherlands) so I don't regard it as such. But apart for 'the talk' there are many other man-to-man talks you could have.

Kermi

Elite Member
Nov 7, 2007
I never really had a "talk" with my dad. My parents divorced when I was 2 and I spent every second weekend with my dad. We were pretty much buddies, and I guess his general wisdom got me through all the major dramas in my life without me actively having to take my problems to him. Sure, we talked about various issues in my life but that was just how things went, there was no landmark moment where we had our first man-to-man.

Marter

Elite Member
Legacy
Oct 27, 2009
I've talked to my dad about his problems before...not really the other way around.

Does that count as "man to man"?

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Never had that sort of talk with my dad, he's more of the traditional "ignore it all and hope for the best" sort.

He did teach me to shave when I asked him, though.

rutger5000

Oct 19, 2010
Sgt. Sykes said:
YOUR!! Shit. Aren't words like my, your, his, hers among the first things one needs to know when learning English? Gosh.

And as for the question, never, actually the first time I talked to him at all was when I was 22.
Come one man, cut me some slack. Everybody makes mistakes sometimes. Yeah it was a stupid one, so what?

Jonluw

May 23, 2010
You can't talk about career plans with women? Okay...

I have no desire to talk about girls with my father, and I don't see any other things I could talk to him about that would be considered "man to man talk"
If I have "guy problems" (i.e. problems with my junk), I'll see a doctor, and not bother my dad with any STDs I might have caught (as if).

Edit:
Crazy_Dude said:
He only showed me how to shave once.

For the rest I never had the "talk"
I have never had the talk either. However, I was once visiting some friends of my parents with my parents, and they started to talk about whether they'd given their children the talk, and whether they'd gotten it themselves. You can imagine my delight at sitting there with them.

spartan1077

Aug 24, 2010
Kermi said:
I never really had a "talk" with my dad.
Basically this. I mean, we've talked about stuff but it's hard to hold an intellectual conversation with him since we both turn to humor and I don't believe he's as...acceptive as my mom. So, no, I've never had a "man-to-man" talk with my dad.

ProtoChimp

Feb 8, 2010
Well my dad is a scum bag who nearly made my family homeless so if I did see him I would probably lose my temper and try to murder him... awkward sorry.

BENZOOKA

This is the most wittiest title
Oct 26, 2009
Never had that. Barely anything you could actually call a conversation. He's literally a brain-damaged drunk who doesn't do anything else but verbal assault.

Thincrust

Sep 2, 2010
My dad was killed by a drunk driver when I was 6 months old, and I never had a "father figure" after that. I would love to talk to him and just be reassured that whatever I did with my life he'd love me.

MarlaminLTarmiko

Oct 19, 2010
My father was murdered when I was 6, so yeah, never had one. My mothers made an attempt but it was just completely lulzy.

IamQ

Mar 29, 2009
Nope. I learned most things myself. Though I maybe should have asked for help when I first shaved myself, since my face looked like I'd been shot with a mini-gun all around my mouth.

Sneeze

Dec 4, 2010
Never really had one, not about the birds and the bees anyways. He taught me how to shave though, that is a typical bonding moment. Everything else I learned from the internet.

Spectrum_Prez

Aug 19, 2009
My dad and I talk history and politics all day long, but for some reason I always tune out after a while. Probably because he always goes back to making the same arguments after a while. Politics and history are his hobbies and he never read much on them in university, so his knowledge is really 'patchy' and one-sided, non-critical. So its hard for me to carry on with him.

As for more personal matters, nope. My dad isn't much of a father figure because my mother is so dominating in our household. I still respect him a lot though because he went through much more adversity than I did and is probably a smarter guy overall.

Dystopia

Jul 26, 2009
I'm not a man, so I tend to have more 'woman to woman' talks with my mum, but never about anything personal. I find it incredibly difficult to share things with my parents.

similar.squirrel

Mar 28, 2009
I was never taught to shave, on account of his beard [which stretches back to times immemorial. I think he last got rid of it when I was less than a year old]. I find it awkward to talk about girls and sex, so we don't do that much. We do discuss career plans, though. He seems to be chuffed about my choosing something scientific.

rutger5000

Oct 19, 2010
MarlaminLTarmiko said:
My father was murdered when I was 6, so yeah, never had one. My mothers made an attempt but it was just completely lulzy.
God that's horrible, my sympathize. I don't know if you still have the urges for talks like that, if so maybe a counciler would be a good idea?