First Mechwarrior Tactics Screens Hit the Hexes

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
First Mechwarrior Tactics Screens Hit the Hexes

The first batch of Mechwarrior Tactics screens promises good things for mech pilots who like to mix a little thinking with their stomping.

Fans of giant fighting robots got their first taste of Mechwarrior Tactics back in February by way of some very sexy concept images [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/115947-Mechwarrior-Tactics-Takes-the-Field] of famous machines like the Atlas, the Awesome, the Hunchback and the Jenner. But now we've got something even better: actual, in-game screenshots to eyeball and dissect.

[gallery=657]

I'm not really sure what I was expecting, but I think I like what I see. The hex-based grid system brings a bit of early-stage cred to the game and it looks like cinematic external views will feature as well, which is always a fun way to watch things explode. Four-on-four action is about what you'd expect from a Mechwarrior game, and I'm guessing those glowing tower things are some sort of control markers.

Clearly this doesn't tell us much about the gameplay side of the coin, but I think it's a promising start. Mechwarrior Tactics comes out later this year, and in the meantime you can find out more about the game at mwtactics.com [http://www.mwtactics.com/].

Bantis

Jan 27, 2009
Andy Chalk said:
Clearly this doesn't tell us much about the gameplay side of the coin, but I think it's a promising start.
Agreed on both. It doesn't tell us much but seeing the grid and the layout shots made me feel good about the first bits of info. I'm glad MechWarrior is getting some love with this one and the online one. My only interaction with the franchise has been through the computer so I don't know much about the detailed ins and outs of the universe or origins but I loved the old Activision Mech games. They were some of the fist video games I ever played. :)

capt.fodder

Sep 6, 2009
Not to sound like a heathen, but is this PC only or will there be any console/portable love for this title?

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
I really hope this turns out well. I'm a long-time fan of the franchise. I started with the 'ole MechWarrior back on the SNES and had my love of the mythos cemented with MechWarrior 2.

I've played the MechCommander games, read some of the novels, played and enjoyed the "blasphemous" MechAssault games, and dabbled in the card game. However, MWTactics reminds me a lot of the table-top game, save the hex-grid setup.

Still, Andy Chalk is right. 2012 really is a good time to be a Battletech fan. Hell, we're also getting Reign of Thunder from Day 1 Studios. (the team that made MechAssault)

Wicky_42

Sep 15, 2008
huh, this actually looks like it could be really good fun. will have to keep an eye on it.