First online game?

implodingMan

Apr 9, 2008
It was an RTS. I can't remember which, but it was probably either Starcraft or one of the Age of Empires games.

sarahvait

Nov 6, 2008
Diablo II, though the whole online thing was a bit moot since I quickly learned that playing with other people ruined the experience (besides the fact that I'm a greedy ***** and would take every single thing that was dropped by monsters or found in a pile, because if I couldn't use it then I was either going to save it or sell it. I also realized that while playing any game online, I tend to start hating other players). I would always get online, then create a private game with a password so no one else could get in and bother me.

Kiutu

Sep 27, 2008
I think my first was Call of Duty 2. My dad's friend brought his 360 with live and we all took turns playing CoD2 online. Everyone but me was obsessed with trash talking, I was obsessed with the fact I was playing online. Shortly after I signed up for Live. (And then re-aquired 1000G in Oblivion ._.)

Good morning blues

Sep 24, 2008
Donbett1974 said:
Battlefield 1942 the demo. Ole free good times.
This, actually, but at an internet cafe - I had other multiplayer-capable games, but I'm pretty sure we still had dialup back then. That cafe was great times, until somebody got shot and it closed down.

It was great fun playing that in a row of computers next to a couple of my friends. To this day I still don't really like online play, but love sitting in a room playing with my friends.

medievalguy

Jul 31, 2008
Age of Empires 2 ^_^ Had loads of fun playing that with friends online....till I put all my pop in a few ships and tried to land on the one spot of beach with a million cannon towers.... <.<

Xvito

Aug 16, 2008
I think the first online game I played was some browser-based madness, don't remember the name though. Good times :)

DirkGently

Oct 22, 2008
Command & Conquer: Red Alert over a modem.

First FPS I don't remember, but I did used to have a ridiculous cable setup to get my internet from the kitchen to my Xbox in the living room, way back when.

Hamster at Dawn

It's Hazard Time!
Mar 19, 2008
First online game I played was Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter. It's a decent game that I thought was amazing at the time because it was the only online game I'd ever played. This was just after I'd bought my Xbox 360 two years ago.

After that, I got Splinter Cell: Double Agent and the online on that was awesome. I would still play it now if I wasn't the only person in the world who actually still wanted to play it. The thrill of sneaking around as a spy is nothing short of epic, even with the often horrible lag.

nilus2k

Oct 22, 2008
Wow am I really that old. The first games I played over a network were several different text based games on a BBS. This was in the 80s, on a 2800 baud modem. Pre-AOL, pre-Prodigy, Pre-internet.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Mech Warrior 2

That game was pure brilliance, 8 way walking Tank warfare. Was affected a bit by bullet spam Mech layouts though. But at the time it was the nuts.