First show you ever hated

Salieri82

Mar 3, 2010
It is a truth universally acknowledged that kids have horrible taste in pretty much everything. Bad movies, bad music, bad TV, bad food, bad toys: anything can be sold if you skew the marketing young enough. But eventually, most of us develop a bit of discernment. (The rest of us watch Honey Boo-Boo).

So here's my question: What's the first show or a movie you ever saw that made you think, "Wow, this stinks. I could do better than that!"?

(In my case: Teddy Ruxpin. Even 5-year-old me thought it was treacly, goopy crap.)

nariette

Jun 9, 2013
I really disliked the new "disney" shows starring the Jonas Brothers, Demi Lovato, or Selena Gomez. Disney used to be fun for everyone, but now it's just ridiculous. I also hate the mainstream American crime shows like NCIS or CSI, they are all the same, the characters are as flat as a brick and they are just so, well, stupid . There was one point where they had a woman on a surveillance camera, zoomed in on her eye to see the reflection, changed the whole angle of the picture (the woman was standing sideways, but they changed the angle so they could see her from the front) and then saw of the reflection that there was a man in the hallway who was holding a basketball. That's just so ridiculous. That's why I prefer British crime shows.

Shinsei-J

Prunus Girl is best girl!
Apr 28, 2011
Home & Away
Any Australian knows what I'm talking about.
At the tender age of eight even I hated this show and it's melodramatic writing.

To be fair this definitely wasn't the first show I hated but it certainly was the one thing I really
hated so much that it's stuck in my mind to this day.
nariette said:
Alright, I agreed with a lot of what you said but the main NCIS's characters are anything but flat, unlike any other show they hold their experiences and change as the story progresses, character arcs are a major part of the show.

Colour Scientist

Troll the Respawn, Jeremy!
Jul 15, 2009
Shinsei-J said:
Home & Away
Australians and an amazing amount of Irish people. Home and Away is huge over here.

OP:The Magic Roundabout is the first thing that comes to mind. That show freaked me out, it used to come on Cartoon Network at 5 in the morning when I was 6 or 7.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Dragon Ball Z. The Z is the keyword/letter here. I initially enjoyed Dragon Ball as a trippy adventure show. Then Goku grew up, the Z was thrown in and it became a series of macho stand-offs with an oversized crowd of secondary characters gawking and commenting. Boring and unimaginative as hell. The fact that every other kid in my school watched it and quoted from it made me hate it all the more.

King of Asgaard

Vae Victis, Woe to the Conquered
Oct 31, 2011
Pretty much everything found on kid's TV channels in the early 2000s.
Don't know why really, especially when people talk about shows like Hey Arnold, Ed, Edd n Eddy and Rocko's Modern Life with a certain reverence.
The only show that really caught my attention, and my brother's attention, was Avatar: The Last Airbender, which is fucking awesome.

Shinsei-J

Prunus Girl is best girl!
Apr 28, 2011
Colour-Scientist said:
Shinsei-J said:
Home & Away
Australians and an amazing amount of Irish people. Home and Away is huge over here.
I've heard some british people really enjoy it too but I just kind of figured it was for the environment.
The rest of it is terrible, I watched it for at least six years straight, each night waiting for the episode to finish so my mother would let my sister, brother and I play videogames.

I just noticed why I may be a little bias.

klaynexas3

My shoes hurt
Dec 30, 2009
As far back as I can remember, the show I hated most was Dora the Explorer. Even as a child around the same age that the target audience was, I found myself baffled at how stupid everyone was on the show. The adventures weren't bad, I could enjoy the colors, but she could not do anything on her own and no one on the show could figure out what the hell they were doing. And this ran through my mind as a five year old. I think handholding has always pissed me off a fair amount, no matter what age or what the thing was that did it.

C. Cain

Oct 3, 2011
Johnny Novgorod said:
Dragon Ball Z. The Z is the keyword/letter here. I initially enjoyed Dragon Ball as a trippy adventure show. Then Goku grew up, the Z was thrown in and it became a series of macho stand-offs with an oversized crowd of secondary characters gawking and commenting. Boring and unimaginative as hell. The fact that every other kid in my school watched it and quoted from it made me hate it all the more.
I concur. The show was so much better when it was still an affectionate parody/homage to A Journey to the West.
But suddenly sci-fi was all in vogue for some reason, so why not take out all the mystical elements and replace 'em with aliens.

Ratties

May 8, 2013
It would have to be Scrubs. Bad stuff on t.v. before Scrubs that I saw, it was pretty much ignored by me. Basically hate Scrubs so much, that I don't even want it around me. So after watching the first season with my room mate, I was pretty much just staring at my t.v. screen. Was this supposed to be funny? I just wanted to choke the living shit out of most of the characters. I sat there feeling dirty after I watched it. Eventually I stopped bringing up the fact that I hated the show because people would just say the same thing over and over again. "You just don't understand that kind of humor." What the fuck does that even mean.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
Well, this may not count entirely, but I'm gonna put it here, anyway.
I can't watch King of the Hill.

Not because it's bad. Hell, the show is genius at times. One of the best episodes I did see was Hank and several other characters parodying 12 Angry Men with a lawnmower. It was so funny. Partly because Hank and co don't realize they are being funny.

So, why can't I watch this show? Peggy.

I HATE Peggy. She's annoying, idiotic (but thinks she's smart), arrogant, annoying, lacks any degree of common sense, and causes plenty of problems. Did I mention she's annoying? I hate this one character so much, for fear of an episode being Peggy centered, I can't ever watch it. Which is unfortunate.

And I get the joke. It's just not funny. She's too annoying to be funny.

I remember watching an episode where she effectively ends up smuggling drugs into jail without knowing it. All because she's too full of herself to realize that no kid would write to a substitute teacher. In the end, she almost gets in trouble because the convict can basically just tell the warden about the smuggling. But, because the crook was too dumb to not take his drugs/evidence, and Hank pointed out that it was his word against hers, she was let go. Does Peggy have any humility? Nope. She walks out telling Hank she told him she could take care of it.

I really hate that character...

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
Hrm... Easily it was The Real World. And all the crap that has come because of it. It in my eyes was the downfall of the Music part of MTV, and later the downfall of the true edgyness that was a part (not the whole) of MTV. I remember there used to be stuff like The Head, The Maxx, Dead at 21 on MTV. To me those were interesting and edgy shows along with some great music videos which are still around but it doesn't feel the same...
Nickelodeon also went to shit compared to what I grew up with. Salute Your Shorts, Hey Dude, stuff like that... Now we have generic cloned-from-Disney shows. I feel sorry for kids... No Are You Afraid of the Dark? type shows either...

ShinyCharizard

Oct 24, 2012
Shinsei-J said:
Home & Away
At the tender age of eight even I hated this show and it's melodramatic writing.
Ooh yeah that show sucks the donkey balls. Don't know how the fuck it has been running for so long seeing as no one I know watches it.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
I generally come to hate any show that throws around the Idiot Ball [http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/IdiotBall] too much.

There are a few exceptions, though.

Glongpre

Jun 11, 2013
Johnny Novgorod said:
What!! DBZ was awesome, haha. I loved watching Goku rev up for 20 mins. The tension! (serious about the first thing, sarcasm on the revving.)

Watching it now, this show is totally absurd. Haha.

I can't recall a show early on, but right now I can say The Big Bang Theory. It is just not funny.

Leemaster777

Feb 25, 2010
Oh geez, that's easy. I must share in the same sentiment as the Nostalgia Critic, and pick the most mind-numbingly boring show of all time: