First Skyrim review

Spectrum_Prez

Aug 19, 2009
vrbtny said:
It says that it's a lot like Fallout : New Vegas. Which I hope it isn't, as I kinda preferred Fallout 3.

Aside from that, it looks real promising. And I didn't even like Oblivion.
I have, in the last few months, grudgingly come to accept that New Vegas is as good a game as FO3. But at the end of the day, New Vegas would simply not have been possible without FO3 coming out first.

I'm curious to see what Skyrim picks up from those two games. There's a lot that New Vegas tried and got right, and a lot it tried and got wrong.

putowtin

I'd like to purchase an alcohol!
Jul 7, 2010
like FO: New vegas....
didn't like Oblivion....
Gave it 9.5

Oh bollocks I'm gonna like this game arn't I?!

2fish

Sep 10, 2008
In my opinion the best reiviews are done by the number of people in help forums trying to get the game to work. I know I will like it,as do many of the people who are already planning to get it, but how well will it work?

But thanks for the link.

AnarchistFish

Jul 25, 2011
999realthings said:
Gammayun said:
on the score is says the developer is id software. Hmmm what level of nerd rage should i go into i mean a profetional magizine should know the devoloper was betheda's in house dev betheda game studio.grrrrrrrrrrr.
Yea I know, that right there kinda put the whole review credibility for me in question but from the sounds of things, he's an outsider to the Elder Scrolls series.
And wikipedia

kouriichi

Sep 5, 2010
I expected it to get a 9-10. Its one of those things that cant go wrong.

On a semi-related note.

Doesnt the soundtrack alone make it an 8/10?

Spectrum_Prez

Aug 19, 2009
Jesus, that magazine needs a better proofreader.

The big thing I took away from that review was the existence of a faction called the Companions. Does that mean they'll be a Fighters Guild rival, meaning two paths to take for warrior characters?

Also, Companions, *snerk*

RedEyesBlackGamer

The Killjoy Detective returns!
Jan 23, 2011
Knusper said:
Is there any amount of spoilers in that review? I don't want to take any chances just before getting the game.
Not really anything we don't already know.
OP: Awesome. An increase in factions is always good.

Anthony Abney

Mar 16, 2011
Spectrum_Prez said:
Jesus, that magazine needs a better proofreader.

The big thing I took away from that review was the existence of a faction called the Companions. Does that mean they'll be a Fighters Guild rival, meaning two paths to take for warrior characters?

Also, Companions, *snerk*
pretty sure the Companions ARE the Fighters guild, they said they were going to name the guilds something other than "fighters/mages guild" because the old names were boring. I think the mages are now called "The College of Winterhold" but I don't know if they changed the name of the Thieves Guild.

babinro

Sep 24, 2010
Jandau said:
babinro said:
Good find and solid review! I'm actually getting psyched for Skyrim again :)

The only soul crushingly bad part of this review was the point that you have to sell your loot at specific vendors. This sounds like a horrendous idea on paper. I really don't want to have to walk around for 10 minutes in a city just to unload goods and go back to having fun.
Oblivion had that limitation as well. You can remove the limitation through a perk in the Speech skill line, just as you could remove the limitation in Oblivion by leveling your Mercantile skill sufficiently.
Excellent! I haven't read to that detail yet...looks like I'll be getting that perk on every playthrough.

AnarchistFish

Jul 25, 2011
I find it odd that graphics and sound get 2/3 of the share of the score and gameplay only gets 1/3

Ironic Pirate

May 21, 2009
Does anyone know if you can have kids? You can get married, and the game features children, but no word on whether you can have some of your own.

Anyway, cool. Gonna get it regardless, but it's good to see positive reviews ahead of time.

999realthings

Jun 23, 2011
AnarchistFish said:
I find it odd that graphics and sound get 2/3 of the share of the score and gameplay only gets 1/3
Personally, I would group graphics and sound under presentation.

Mycroft Holmes

Sep 26, 2011
CRRPGMykael said:
how in the holy mother of fuck did they think id software were the developers?!
That's a pretty weird mistake. I have to assume that ID likely helped making the engine, because they have made some of the best game engines out there. So it stands to reason that they would receive help Bethesda out on this with their engine design. But the bulk of the game is definitely Bethesda.

Spectrum_Prez said:
I have, in the last few months, grudgingly come to accept that New Vegas is as good a game as FO3. But at the end of the day, New Vegas would simply not have been possible without FO3 coming out first.
And Fallout 3 would not have been possible if it wasn't for Fallout 1 and 2 which coincidentally were made by a lot of the same developers that work for Obsidian Games; so whats your point? That you arbitrarily favor Bethesda?

Freaky Lou

Nov 1, 2011
Mycroft Holmes said:
I have to assume that ID likely helped making the engine, because they have made some of the best game engines out there. So it stands to reason that they would receive help Bethesda out on this with their engine design.
Wouldn't Fallout 4 be awesome on Rage's engine with Obsidian's writing and design?

OT: It's reassuring to see this. I've got it pre-ordered and have been reading some pretty hostile forums which were zooming in on every possible flaw. I wasn't deterred exactly, but a positive writeup (from someone who didn't like the previous two ES games, and has actually played this one) is still great to see.

Spectrum_Prez

Aug 19, 2009
Mycroft Holmes said:
Spectrum_Prez said:
And Fallout 3 would not have been possible if it wasn't for Fallout 1 and 2 which coincidentally were made by a lot of the same developers that work for Obsidian Games; so whats your point? That you arbitrarily favor Bethesda?
The 'fact' that FO3 would not have been possible without FO1 and 2 doesn't negate the 'fact' that FNV would not have been possible without FO3. Do you really thing Obsidian could have made FNV without FO3 as a stepping stone from the older games?

My original point is that I now accept FNV to be as good as FO3, which I was hesitant to do originally. That said, FNV still owes a lot to FO3, and so therefore the latter still holds a dearer spot in my personal game rankings.

Sheepy Sheep

Dec 16, 2010
Anthony Abney said:
Spectrum_Prez said:
pretty sure the Companions ARE the Fighters guild, they said they were going to name the guilds something other than "fighters/mages guild" because the old names were boring. I think the mages are now called "The College of Winterhold" but I don't know if they changed the name of the Thieves Guild.
Yeah the thieves guild are keeping the name as far as I can tell but I think its something to do with the questline..

RedEyesBlackGamer

The Killjoy Detective returns!
Jan 23, 2011
Sandor [The Hound said:
Clegane]
CM156 said:
Me? I'm not really interested, so I don't think I'll be getting it. But hey, anyone who does: Have fun.
We will. So. Much. Fun.
I can't wait to be called "criminal scum". I'll be home again. Thank god that they are releasing it the day before the weekend.