First Star Wars Standalone Called Rogue One, Ep. VIII Release Date Revealed

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008
cpukill said:
Always good to run across another "starfighter jockey." I was one of those kids that wanted to be Wedge Antilles instead of Luke Skywalker. I devoured anything related to Star Wars space combat growing up (I could easily go on a huge tangent on how Tie Fighter is one of the best games ever made and anyone even remotely interested in Star Wars needs to play it), though I preferred Wraith Squadron when it came to the novels.

Having said that, I fully expect all of it to be relegated to "Legends" status. I just hope whatever Disney comes up with will at least be of comparable quality (something they're capable of, if Star Wars: Rebels is any indication).

I've long since established my own headcanon when it comes to Star Wars anyway, picking and choosing what I like and ignoring the rest. If two sources happen to contradict each other, I take a leaf out of Star Trek's book and consider them alternate timelines/realities. It's hard to keep straight sometimes, but I find it's the best way for a fan to deal with something like this without going mad.

infohippie

Oct 1, 2009
Ukomba said:
infohippie said:
I am looking forward to this. More Star Wars but without the *yawn* Jedi, and hopefully more ship-to-ship combat, sounds exciting. And I could not care less about the EU, most of it was trash, so I won't be butthurt about any changes.
And would you know/care if they kept it? Most of the old Marvel comics were contradictory, nonsensical, silly trash but that didn't stop them from salvaging everything they could out of it.
If they can salvage a good story out of it, then no I would not mind at all if they kept it. I am just saying that apart from a small handful of particular books, the rest of the EU was junk, and I could not care less if they completely eviscerated it, taking what they could use and throwing out the rest, so long as the end result was an enjoyable film.

Phil the Nervous said:
infohippie said:
I am looking forward to this. More Star Wars but without the *yawn* Jedi, and hopefully more ship-to-ship combat, sounds exciting. And I could not care less about the EU, most of it was trash, so I won't be butthurt about any changes.
Sorry if this comes off as pedantic, but you're a little bit misinformed. There were no jedi in Rogue Squadron (one of the secondary characters becomes a jedi in another series) and the series focused on ship-to-ship combat.

While I appreciate (and agree) with your stance, you're arguing against your opinion here.
Hang on, I think I am confused by your post here. What I was saying is that I am looking forward to this standalone film, since it sounds to me like it will not prominently feature Jedi and will likely contain lots of space combat. That is what I associate with the name "Rogue Squadron". Or did you accidentally misread my first few words to mean "I am NOT looking forward..."?

Platypus540

May 11, 2011
Please let this be a Wedge Antilles movie.
Please God let this be a Wedge Antilles movie.

Seriously though, a Rogue Squadron movie would be awesome. Even if they don't base it on the established Rogue Squadron stories (and they almost certainly wouldn't, unfortunately), I'd love to see a Star Wars movie with a bit of a different style, more about the pilots and soldiers than the Jedi.

Edit: A Corran Horn movie would be pretty great too actually, either way works.

Edit 2:
Neverhoodian said:
Always good to run across another "starfighter jockey." I was one of those kids that wanted to be Wedge Antilles instead of Luke Skywalker.
Wow, I'm not the only one! It always baffled my friends that I wanted to play as Wedge in the Rogue Squadron GC game instead of Luke, reactions ranging from "Why would you not want Luke?" to "Who the hell is Wedge Antilles?".

Phil the Nervous

Jun 1, 2014
infohippie said:
Hang on, I think I am confused by your post here. What I was saying is that I am looking forward to this standalone film, since it sounds to me like it will not prominently feature Jedi and will likely contain lots of space combat. That is what I associate with the name "Rogue Squadron". Or did you accidentally misread my first few words to mean "I am NOT looking forward..."?

Kind of, yeah ':D I misread it and though you were looking forward to the replacement rather than the new story itself. -Thanks for clarifying!

(still butthurt though, those stories were awesome!)

infohippie

Oct 1, 2009
Platypus540 said:
Wow, I'm not the only one! It always baffled my friends that I wanted to play as Wedge in the Rogue Squadron GC game instead of Luke, reactions ranging from "Why would you not want Luke?" to "Who the hell is Wedge Antilles?".
Why not Porkins? :p Who doesn't like Porkins? :D

Phil the Nervous said:
infohippie said:

Kind of, yeah ':D I misread it and though you were looking forward to the replacement rather than the new story itself. -Thanks for clarifying!

(still butthurt though, those stories were awesome!)
Ah, I see. And though I may pour scorn on most of the EU, I do think the Rogue Squadron books were among the few parts of the EU that were actually good. All the New Jedi Order stuff, and Ssi-Ruuk crap, and the Yuuzhan Vong nonsense... That is all best forgotten as far as I am concerned.

Tsun Tzu

Feuer! Sperrfeuer! Los!
Legacy
Jul 19, 2010
Country
Free-Dom
Oh, god.

A...a Star Wars Rogue (hopefully) Squadron movie!? Really!?!

I'm moist. MOIST! Dude, just make this real. Sincerely, this could be amazing...while we're at it? A Republic Commando movie. I'd buy it. I'd buy it twice.

Aerith

Feb 25, 2015
PlotTwist, actual title is - Rogue One, Episode One: The Rogue One.

Srsly, good title. Doubt the makers will be smart enough to adapt the Rogue Squadron games. Will probably be a smuggler movie for Harrison.

Spaceman Spiff

Sep 23, 2013
I would actually be really excited if they made adaptations of the X-wing novels. I remember the first one I read, Iron Fist, had me hooked on SW novels for years.

But I doubt this is the case and am not about to get my hopes up.

Edit: just read a bit more closely and it's rumored to be about bounty hunters. I now have no interest in it and am slightly annoyed that they'd pick that title considering the old SW canon.

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
Damn, now I REALLY want a rogue squadron movie starring Wedge "motherfucking badass" Antilles. I don't mind the idea of a mercenary film, it even sounds intriguing, but don't call it rogue one...

Also, these writers and directors are awful. Disney, you have the money, now get the talent. J.J. "Im high on cocaine" Abrams? Chris "I don't know where I am right now" Weitz? The dude from LOOPER?! Get your shit together Disney, this is sad.

COMaestro

Vae Victis!
May 24, 2010
I hope to God the rumor is wrong and this movie has nothing to do with some stupid heist by bounty hunters. You want to do that, use a different name, Disney! In Star Wars the Rogue name is and should forever be associated with Rogue Squadron.

Ukomba

Oct 14, 2010
infohippie said:
Ukomba said:
infohippie said:
And would you know/care if they kept it? Most of the old Marvel comics were contradictory, nonsensical, silly trash but that didn't stop them from salvaging everything they could out of it.
If they can salvage a good story out of it, then no I would not mind at all if they kept it. I am just saying that apart from a small handful of particular books, the rest of the EU was junk, and I could not care less if they completely eviscerated it, taking what they could use and throwing out the rest, so long as the end result was an enjoyable film.
That's all I think most of us want, Salvage the EU. A counsel of Trent type sit down where they pick out the good bits and toss the dross. The winnowing might result in only keeping names even but that would be enough for a lot of things. I wouldn't mind loosing the Force Unleashed entirely for example. It's the whole sale destruction just for the sake of being different that we see as the slap in the face.

ExileNZ

Dec 15, 2007
"First stand-alone Star Wars movie..."

Does NOBODY remember Ewoks: The Battle for Endor? Or that magical adventure shit that it was the sequel to?

But what do I know? I'm sure the fact that this one actually has "Star Wars" in the title makes all the difference...

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
ExileNZ said:

Does NOBODY remember Ewoks: The Battle for Endor? Or that magical adventure shit that it was the sequel to?

But what do I know? I'm sure the fact that this one actually has "Star Wars" in the title makes all the difference...
I'm guessing the fandom likes to pretend some things related to Star Wars don't exist, like those movies, or the Holiday Special, or the Ewoks television series and probably some more stuff.

Anyway, I'm going to echo some of the sentiments in this thread and say I'd like Rogue One to have less or no Jedi/Sith and more space battles. It's called 'STAR Wars' after all, not 'Glowstick-Twirling Pedestrians Wars'.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
Sometimes I imagine I live in a fantasy world where companies don't say shit about their product unless it's six months or less away.

I mean, what the heck Disney? Nearly two years and just over two years away for two movies? Sit on that crap until you're even marginally close to that end. This is the same crappy reason we keep getting delayed releases everywhere else.

ExileNZ

Dec 15, 2007
Chimpzy said:
ExileNZ said:

I'm guessing the fandom likes to pretend some things related to Star Wars don't exist, like those movies, or the Holiday Special, or the Ewoks television series and probably some more stuff.

Anyway, I'm going to echo some of the sentiments in this thread and say I'd like Rogue One to have less or no Jedi/Sith and more space battles. It's called 'STAR Wars' after all, not 'Glowstick-Twirling Pedestrians Wars'.
Pretty hard to ignore the Christmas Special - while I've never seen it and I never plan to, it WAS the origin of Bobba Fett. People can moan all they like, but no Christmas Special means no Bobba Fett, and no Fett means no Mandalorians.

And who doesn't want more Mandalorians?

I didn't know there was an ewoks TV series tho, that's news to me.

Frankster

Space Ace
Mar 13, 2009
This won't have anything to do with Rogue Squadron?

If I was in my teens at the height of my interest with Star Wars, I'd have had an aneurysm from the nerd rage and missed opportunity.

Techno Squidgy

Nov 23, 2010
TehAardvark said:
*Crosses fingers* Please be an adaptation of the Rogue Squadron books.
I can almost guarantee it won't be. Because that would be too good.

OT: I swear to god, if Wedge Antilles doesn't show up, I'll.. I'll... I don't know. Cry, probably. All I want is a Star Wars film, during the Galactic Civil war, following an X-Wing squadron (preferably Red/Rogue squadron), akin to Red Tails, Battle of Britain, etc. I can say with almost complete certainty I won't get the film I'm looking for. If Rogue One does turn out to be like that....

Techno Squidgy

Nov 23, 2010
Do you think the 181st Imperial Fighter Wing will survive the EU purge? I really hope so. It'd be nice to see competent opposition to the rebel pilots.