First Steam Machine Prototype Pictures Published

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
It was interesting to see some of the other prototype controller designs they came up with.[footnote]Trackballs underneath the controller? Thin touchbars used as scrollers? An all touch-surface controller? Valve, you crazy.[/footnote]

However, my quote of the day came from the IGN interview with the design team when talking about the controller:

"You can play Dota with it. You just can't win." - Eric Hope

vallorn

Tunnel Open, Communication Open.
Nov 18, 2009
Vigormortis said:
Trackballs underneath the controller? Thin touchbars used as scrollers? An all touch-surface controller? Valve, you crazy.
I know... I spent 5 goddamn minutes of my life starting at those controllers and thinking "Why are there trackballs where I'm supposed to have enough fingers to both use the surface buttons, grip the handles and now use a trackball on the underside?"

Actually this gives me an idea. Valve are going to market free "upgrades' for peoples hands that have extra fingers just to use all of the buttons! They will also be the first hands that are fully compatible with the N64 controller!

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
synobal said:
Should it levitate in your livingroom and dispense ice cold sodas?
That would get my money, despite the fact i just started ordering £1700 worth of gaming PC.

New Frontiersman

Feb 2, 2010
It's been a long time since a new company entered the console market, so this should be interesting I guess. It's always good to see more competition on the market, it means more choices for consumers which is always a good thing, I'm curious to see how they're going to compete with the three current gen consoles currently on the market. I'm interested to see how this develops.

thiosk

Sep 18, 2008
If they don't release HL3 as THE launch title for this experiment, they're friggin' crazy.

Talk about a revolutionary killer app. HL2 launched steam from a mad experiment that pissed off customers into what it is today. Halo made the xbox viable. HL3 would be a transformative title. While I'll be a steam customer as a card carrying master race member, and i just don't see much major paradigm shift without that sort of killer app: a new HL + bundled CS.

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
Why do people always bang on about the looks of the new consoles? My HTPCs have always been in understated Silverstone cases, they look better in the livingroom and they are efficient and cheap to manufacture. Plus thay are easy to crack open when you need to fiddle with components.

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
NinjaDeathSlap said:
Please be affordable. Please be affordable. PLEASE BE AFFORDABLE!
They are building different versions for different people. Some will be designed with a small budget in mind, some will be designed to be as quiet as possible and some will be designed to run the latest games.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
SourMilk said:
It looks like a Xbone/360 hybrid painted black. Really Valve, what's with the VHS design? This is a legitimate question for the upcoming generation. Trying to fit in with the crowd?
don't think prototype cases necessarily reflect the final design

Jamash

Top Todger
Jun 25, 2008
Psychobabble said:
sigh. So twenty years of computer and gaming console technological advancement has led to three cutting edge consoles that look like ... a computer from the late 1990s. Or a cake box.
What cutting edge and innovative way would you design a horizontal rectangular box?

The reason they're this shape is because it's the best shape for their function. A pyramid make look more interesting, but it wouldn't fit into an entertainment unit underneath a TV and you'd have a hard time getting all the components to fit whilst maintaining proper air flow.

The Ouya can get away with being a cube because it has few moving parts and internally there's not a lot to it.

For mass produced consoles that are essentially PCs which are designed to fit underneath a TV, the horizontal rectangular box is the most practical and efficient shape.

Complained about the uninspired shape is a bit like complain that bicycle design is stagnant because they all feature circular wheels.

Alfador_VII

Nov 2, 2009
Interesting, but not very relevant picture, given that it's just a prototype thus far.

But they're definitely missing a trick not calling it the Steam Engine :)

synobal

Jun 8, 2011
Alfador_VII said:
Interesting, but not very relevant picture, given that it's just a prototype thus far.

But they're definitely missing a trick not calling it the Steam Engine :)
Valve doesn't want to confuse steam punk enthusiasts.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
Who cares what it looks like?
SILENTrampancy said:
They need to show demo's of them using the controller on older games, like UT1999, Jedi Knight Dark Forces 2 or Longest Journey. I don't care if you can get it to work with Portal 2, that game works with my wired 360 controller.

Show us the controllers vaunted compatibility.
Exactly, Im really curious about this too as there are some older games that I wouldnt mind playing with a controller.

Vivi22

Aug 22, 2010
SourMilk said:
It looks like a Xbone/360 hybrid painted black. Really Valve, what's with the VHS design? This is a legitimate question for the upcoming generation. Trying to fit in with the crowd?
It's a prototype. Wasting money making a prototype of the hardware look like anything other than a box would be a waste.

EDIT: My god the number of people complaining about a PROTOTYPE looking bland is hilarious.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
vallorn said:
Vigormortis said:
Trackballs underneath the controller? Thin touchbars used as scrollers? An all touch-surface controller? Valve, you crazy.
I know... I spent 5 goddamn minutes of my life starting at those controllers and thinking "Why are there trackballs where I'm supposed to have enough fingers to both use the surface buttons, grip the handles and now use a trackball on the underside?"

Actually this gives me an idea. Valve are going to market free "upgrades' for peoples hands that have extra fingers just to use all of the buttons! They will also be the first hands that are fully compatible with the N64 controller!
Oh god, if they actually did this.

The things I could do... The skills I could gain...

Even outside the bedroom.

<.<

sneakypenguin

Elite Member
Legacy
Jul 31, 2008
Country
usa
Adam Jensen said:
If the Steam Machine gains popularity it could really change PC gaming. For the first time in the history of PC gaming, PC games will be made for a standardized hardware. Sure you can change it and run your own configuration, but the games will probably be made for the default Steam Machine in mind.
Except that standardized HW is essentially the same as any other pc. IIRC valves SM prototypes/standards called for gtx 660 up to a titan. Pretty much your entry lvl card up to a beast. IDT they will have a whole lot of effect on the pc game market.

Shadow-Phoenix

Mar 22, 2010
Looks standard in design but I wonder how long and how many more articles we'll get before people start spamming "consoles R ded" threads due to Valve fangasming.