First thoughts when you hear germany?

Mr.Platinium

Jan 26, 2011
The Nurburgring. Followed by Porsches, Audis, BMWs, Volkswagens, Mercedes-Benzes, and unrestricted autobahns. I then think of all the other automotive-related stuff they're good at, their high standard of driving skill and some of the all-time great drivers in motorsports.

Then I think of the numerous Germans I've met in the past, many of them friends. I think of their amazing politeness and hospitality, and how generally nice they've been to me.

I also do think of WW2, but then I have a significant interest in the war itself anyway. As far as Nazis are concerned, I think it's a textbook case of the human condition in action. Even people as great as Germans can succomb to ignorance, hatred and greed - amongst other flaws humans often times indulge in.

May 5, 2010
Gonna be honest, my second thought was "Nazis! Wait, that's exactly what he wants me to think. Shit, did I just prove some point about the misguided global perception of Germany?". Then I realized that as I read the word "Germany", the German flag popped into my head, just barely edging out "Nazis!". So ha.
Thisgermandude said:
I know the game- and filmindustry trys very hard to keep everyone thinking that germans are still Nazis.
They really don't. They try very hard to keep everyone thinking that Germans USED to be Nazis, but....you know....It's kinda true. Sorry.

JCD2k4

Sep 13, 2010
Currywurst. Definitely Currywurst. Immediately followed by Einstein and Hartz IV reform.

Akimoto

Nov 22, 2011
Rockets!

And lots of beer and sausages. If they had TGIF as part of the working life I won't mind moving there.

kalt_13

Veteran n00b
Sep 14, 2008
Eclectic Dreck said:
China.

No, not the nation - plates and such.

Why? Because mere hours ago, I was given a gift by my grandmother. A set of (incredibly nice - seriously - platinum accents and such) china that was made, according to the box, in "Bavaria, West Germany". I was given god damn cold war freedom China for my birthday. It's strange enough (seriously - still sealed in original packaging and everything all bearing the name of a nation more than two decades gone) that, for the moment, all I can associate with Germany is dishes.

Not beer. Not Nazis. Not incredibly apt words that encapsulate concepts only expressible with lengthy sentences in English. Plates.
thats a truly bizzare prezzie. Were they a family heirloom or something?

Sexy Devil

Jul 12, 2010
Well now all I ever think is Paul Christoforo: convention veteran. Aside from that, I think of the pretty landscape in comparison to where I live (Australia).

Then Nazis.

masticina

Jan 19, 2011
Food and Beer, mmmm

Bratwurst, and lovely lovely brews. Now I am not a fan of every food items german related..obviously. But they do have a good taste!

Durgiun

Dec 25, 2008
I think of the difficult times I had trying to learn German grammar during class in Junior High.

And thanks to that, I will forever evade learning German, unless I NEED it.

Talvrae

The Purple Fairy
Dec 8, 2009
Indistrious contry, good economy, A contry that should serve as role modern for is economy

sune26

Not sure what to put here
Apr 13, 2009
Cheap soda. I live in south Jutland in Denmark so I often cross the border and buy various things i Germany since its much cheaper than in Denmark.

AnyNamePlease

Oct 16, 2011
I'm from the USA and I'm Jewish, but the first thing I think of is about the Euro (seeing as they're sort of taking over on that regard) Maybe because I've had German teachers and met other Germans, and all the Germans I've met are curious about the Jewish culture and they always seem so apologetic about WWII. Nazi come way down on the list of thoughts I think about Germany.

Irony's Acolyte

Back from the Depths
Mar 9, 2010
Deutschland.

Also, I think of it as a very interesting place. Not all good, but still very interesting. Might just be the deutschphile in me...