Fish-Eating Spiders Are Everywhere - Except Antarctica

Rhykker

Level 16 Scallywag
Feb 28, 2010
Fish-Eating Spiders Are Everywhere - Except Antarctica

Scientists have recently discovered that fish-eating spiders can be found on every continent other than Antarctica.

Spiders have historically been considered insectivores. According to Arachnologist Martin Nyffeler, only a few spiders have been known to be fish eaters - until now. He and co-author of a new review Brad Pusey found that at least 18 different spider species have been seen eating fish in laboratories. The review was published in the journal PLOS ONE [http://www.plosone.org/article/info%3Adoi%2F10.1371%2Fjournal.pone.0099459].

89 instances of spiders eating fish were collected, originating from rivers, ponds, and swamps on every continent except Antarctica. Most of the observed cases came from warmer climates and all involved freshwater fish.

A spider's fishing method isn't unlike a human sitting on shore with a fishing pole. "The spider typically assumes a position near the water's edge, with the rear pair of legs anchored to some vegetation or wood or rock, and their three front pairs of legs out of the water's surface," Pusey told Live Science [http://www.livescience.com/46391-fish-eating-spiders-are-everywhere.html] in an email. Once the spider feels a fin or body brush up against its legs, it plunges in, latches on, and bites its prey near the base of the head, injecting neurotoxin. Then, it's just a matter of dragging its haul out of the water.

"It can take many minutes for the fish to die, and it is probably safer for the spider to haul it out of the water to aid in handling and reduce the potential for escape," Pusey said. 

If you happen to live in Florida, many sightings of fish-eating spiders originated from the Florida wetlands, so keep an eye out for a remarkable sight.

Source: Live Science [http://www.livescience.com/46391-fish-eating-spiders-are-everywhere.html]

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
I happen to live in Florida, but I've never seen this. Fishing spiders seem strange to me. But after hearing of the turtle that intakes most of it's oxygen through it's anus, I guess nothing surprises me about the animal kingdom anymore.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Kopikatsu said:
I happen to live in Florida, but I've never seen this. Fishing spiders seem strange to me. But after hearing of the turtle that intakes most of it's oxygen through it's anus, I guess nothing surprises me about the animal kingdom anymore.
Considering how many humans seem to intake most of their oxygen from their anuses, I'm not sure a turtle surprises me any.

Tahaneira

Social Justice Rogue
Feb 1, 2011
When I first saw the title, I thought it said "Flesh-Eating Spiders Are Everywhere - Except Antarctica." My immediate thought was, "Fascinating. Now if you'll excuse me, I need to burn down my house." Fortunately, I decided to read the article before grabbing the gas.

This is really pretty cool. Out of all the science news, the two I like best are the ones concerning space and the ones about things that were right under our noses but we've never noticed before.

Rhykker

Level 16 Scallywag
Feb 28, 2010
Tahaneira said:
When I first saw the title, I thought it said "Flesh-Eating Spiders Are Everywhere - Except Antarctica." My immediate thought was, "Fascinating. Now if you'll excuse me, I need to burn down my house." Fortunately, I decided to read the article before grabbing the gas.

This is really pretty cool. Out of all the science news, the two I like best are the ones concerning space and the ones about things that were right under our noses but we've never noticed before.
I'll be honest -- I decided to write about this because I, too, thought the headline was "flesh-eating."

Here's a fun game: re-read the article, and substitute every instance of "fish" with "flesh." Enjoy the nightmares.

Ferisar

Oct 2, 2010
Rhykker said:
Tahaneira said:

I'll be honest -- I decided to write about this because I, too, thought the headline was "flesh-eating."

Here's a fun game: re-read the article, and substitute every instance of "fish" with "flesh." Enjoy the nightmares.
I think I'd prefer substituting all "fish" with "children" and the "spider _____" with "bouncy castle"

:p

This is pretty neat though. Spiders be scarayay.

EdwardOrchard

Jan 12, 2011
Didn't homo-sapiens' intelligence develop shortly after switching to a fish-based diet, as the increased iron lead to brain development?*

Is this the dawn of the planet of the spiders?

*Probably not true, pulling that almost entirely out of my ass.**

**This is the internet. I dont have to fact-check.

Ferisar

Oct 2, 2010
EdwardOrchard said:
Didn't homo-sapiens' intelligence develop shortly after switching to a fish-based diet, as the increased iron lead to brain development?*

No, human brains developed primarily because of our superior demand for empathetic problem solving, thus allowing us to Kappa the plants to our will, whereas various other species relied heavily on poop as their primary source of contemplation and self-reflection, thus lowering their self-esteem and reducing their brain-mass to becoming hypothetical instead of actively functioning, especially given the excess consumption of copy pasterino.

I have a Ph.D in scientist, I know what I'm talking about.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
EdwardOrchard said:
They shall come by land, sea, and
Nowhere is safe from the Spider Revolution!

Rhykker

Level 16 Scallywag
Feb 28, 2010
EdwardOrchard said:

Hahah, you had me for a moment, there.

Funny thing is, there was a time in college when I was eating fish for lunch every day, and a friend of mine made a joking remark about mercury poisoning, and I suddenly became very aware that I was having increasing difficulty concentrating, a symptom of mercury poisoning... Was the fish possibly ruining my intelligence? Who knows. I stopped eating so much fish though, just in case.

Me55enger

Dec 16, 2008
Rhykker said:
Funny thing is, there was a time in college when I was eating fish for lunch every day, and a friend of mine made a joking remark about mercury poisoning, and I suddenly became very aware that I was having increasing difficulty concentrating, a symptom of mercury poisoning... Was the fish possibly ruining my intelligence? Who knows. I stopped eating so much fish though, just in case.
So you had to... scale it back?

Rhykker

Level 16 Scallywag
Feb 28, 2010
Me55enger said:
Rhykker said:
So you had to... scale it back?
We have the best community on the internet.

BeerTent

Resident Furry Pimp
May 8, 2011
They're not in Antarctica you say? Well...

Spiders are one of the reasons I prefer the winter months.

Xan Krieger

Completely insane
Feb 11, 2009
Well I now know where I'm moving to, anyone wanna come join me? Bring a snowblower, living in North Carolina I sadly don't have one.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
First we got the bird eating spider, then this. What's next? A bear eating Spider??!!! (I'm probably missing some other meat eating spiders.)

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
and by everywhere you of course mean as always my land of no poisonous animals or natural disasters wonderland is once again free of it. good, i like it that way.

Scarim Coral said:
What's next? A bear eating Spider??!!!
we already have Putin.