Fitness Expert Defends Wii Criticism

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Fitness Expert Defends Wii Criticism

Michael Torchia, the health and fitness expert who hinted at using legal action against Wii Fit [http://www.nintendo.com], says he doesn't have a problem with the unit itself but stands by his criticism of the way it's been marketed as a fitness tool.

Earlier in February the fitness guru threatened a lawsuit against Nintendo [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/89330-Fitness-Guru-Threatens-Nintendo-With-Wii-Fit-Lawsuit] based on the company's promotion of Wii Fit as "a replacement for sensible exercise and sports activities." Torchia wanted distribution of Wii Fit halted until Nintendo began including warnings about the possibility of injuries as a result of its improper use and stopped "contributing to the epidemic of obesity" by promoting the balance board as a fitness tool rather than as an entertainment device. "Young and old are putting away their gym clothes and shying away from going outdoors to play sports, because [of] the addictive appeal to the Wii game products," he said.

In a new statement, Torchia stood by his criticism but says he is merely part of the class action lawsuit being put together against Nintendo, adding that he hopes changes are made to the game so legal action can be avoided. Among the specific changes he's seeking are updates to the owner's manual to include proper playing and breathing techniques, the imposition of time limits on Wii Fit gameplay, updates to balance board sensors that will help users avoid overexertion and the halt of marketing efforts that present Wii Fit as a fitness tool rather than a game.

Torchia has offered his assistance to Nintendo in improving the product, saying that he understands the Wii is a "fun tool with numerous social and physical benefits" but adding that without proper instruction the units can do far more harm than good. Thus far he has had no response from the company and is therefore continuing to provide advice directly to the people by way of his website, Shape Up America [http://www.operationfitness.com/index.html] radio show.

Brotherofwill

Jan 25, 2009
Someone seems jealous...
Wii Fit is trying to combine fitness and video-games (people would have laughted at this a few years ago), and it seems to work pretty well.
It's certainly not worse of an ad scam than diet products

MegMurph

Mar 4, 2008
I can't help but agree somewhat with the fact that it does seem to encourage people to replace their physical fitness with Wii Fit. As a pretty active individual, I've spent some time on my dad's Wii Fit and it is incredibly disappointing as a "physical activity" or a "work out".

Pathwalker

Sep 10, 2008
Someone seems to wanna snag some spotlight here. Honestly, who believes that Wii sports can replace real physical excersise? And who honestly believes such people exist? And if they do, doesnt obesity serve them right for their ignorance?

Echolocating

Jul 13, 2006
Torchia has offered his assistance to Nintendo in improving the product, saying that he understands the Wii is a "fun tool with numerous social and physical benefits" but adding that without proper instruction the units can do far more harm than good.
What a prick.

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
Pathwalker said:
Someone seems to wanna snag some spotlight here. Honestly, who believes that Wii sports can replace real physical excersise? And who honestly believes such people exist? And if they do, doesnt obesity serve them right for their ignorance?
stupidity is not a crime

although it should be

caross73

Oct 31, 2006
"the imposition of time limits on Wii Fit gameplay"

When this self-described fitness expert and motivational speaker breaks my wii with his "enhancements" I will be part of the class action suit demanding a piece of his fitness empire.

bkd69

Nov 23, 2007
Yeah, I don't think there are many people who think that they can replace their regular fitness regimen with Wii Fit, at least for those individuals who have a fitness regimen in the first place. And I don't the individuals who regularly wear gym clothes or go outside and play, are really making plans for "putting away their gym clothes and shying away from going outdoors to play" and replacing their activities with Wii Fit play.

On the other hand, I do think that a significant majority of Wii Fit purchasers (say, >60%) are replacing their fitness regimen with Wii Fit, but said regimen consists totally of the sweet FA. In other words, first timers. How many of those will follow through from novelty to routine remains to be seen, but the numbers to compare that to are January gym memberships and home fitness equipment purchases.

The third segment of the Wii fitness market, and this is going to be the core segment, for longterm sales, will be home fitness video enthusiasts.

Ionami

Aug 21, 2008
I think he's on to something, and if he really does genuinely want to improve Wii Fit to make it more effective/healthier, then all the best to him.