Five Entertainment Reforms Millenials Should Be Fighting For

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Redd the Sock said:
1) The old guy in me wants to rant about how this just motivates an entitlement mentality that shows no respect for patience or doing without if you can't meet someone else's schedule.
The eldery in me wants to agree, but remembers when this was being hyped as the near future in 1995 and is annoyed that it's been nearly two decades of feet dragging.

2) Region locks exist due to captive markets.
Only if you count the entire music market as a captive market. Region locks are an outcropping of the record industry lobbying to prevent what you called "reverse importation" on a larger scale. It used to be a lot cheaper for distros to buy records and CDs in bulk from places like South America on the cheap and sell them either at a discount or eat the remaining profits themselves. The record industry didn't like being undercut and pushed for import taxes/tariffs/whatever. If they could have got away with region locking Compact Discs, they probably would have. As it is, the video market became serious business and sought to protect themselves. Fortunately, DVD came out after issues of piracy, copying (even lawful copying) and importing were all well-known, so they developed a system right in the medium and its players.

As it is, people were still finding better deals (even with import) on movies and using multi-region DVD players to get around this. They started punishing that by generating DVDs that would only play in fixed-region DVD players. They really hate not having control.

It's not just anime. The whole industry is worried that you might be able to buy something cheaper than the prices they want you to pay.

Technological issues aside, there's always a fear we'll just squeeze more value out of the old than buy the new.
This one's always strange to me, because of the industry's obsession with remakes and re-releases. It's like they're ramping us up specifically for nostalgia. And this happens in other media, too. More so with movies and music than books, but still. And I get that they can get new money out of us on an individual release, but they need to go much bigger for that to be a real model: something they don't seem willing or able to do.

angel85

Dec 31, 2008
quick note to backwards compatibility, you seem to have forgotten that the WiiU is in fact fully reverse compatible with all Wii software, AND its hardware as well. Microsoft and Sony are making you spend $4-500 to abandon your current game library and making you buy new controllers but Nintendo isn't. Though on the flip side it could be that nintendo relied too much on that backwards compatibility, as the console went like 8 months or so with a pretty pitiful library of its own...but now that more games are coming out I think it's past that particular hiccup...as long as more 3rd party software is made for it in the long run.

WiseBass

Apr 29, 2011
1) This is a tough one, since it would hit US theaters really hard while likely not changing much about the foreign box office gross (due to rampant piracy in many of the developing countries, there's already a de facto "same day release" going on). Edward J Epstein has written a couple books about the movie business, and he pointed out in a column [http://www.edwardjayepstein.com/part2.htm] a few years back that a 6% drop in attendance back in 2000-2001 put a ton of movie theater chains into bankruptcy. My personal opinion is that most of them would be facing major ticket price drops, with tons of them dropping into "dollar theater" status.

There's also the talent to consider. A bunch of big directors - including James Cameron and Peter Jackson - came out in opposition to the brief experiment with early releasing Tower Heist. That could change over time, but there is emotional and financial attachment to the success of the big screen among the talent.

crc32

Jun 20, 2012
Yeah #3 isn't happening. You may get Wii/WiiU or PSX/PS2, but sustained BC isn't possible.

As far as I see, as a game developer you have 4 options:
1) Emulation, which you already know is limited.
2) Keep existing hardware appended to your hardware, which'll drive up costs.
3) Keep a similar hardware architecture from generation to generation (see: PSX/PS2, GC/Wii/WiiU) and get stuck with outdated designs.
4) Require all games be rebuilt for your system every gen. Good luck enforcing that.

DeadMG

Oct 1, 2007
Maybe, for once, how consumers believe technology should work should be considered over how it 'actually works' (which really, just translates to how manufacturers say it should work. Not completely without merit, but not completely valid, either).
No, that's how it really does work.

A movie is just some data. You can convert that data however you like, any time. It's trivial. Terminator 2 is the same in mp4 as xvid or anything else. A game involves code and that's vastly more problematic. Not only is code unimaginably more complex, but it has to be translated in real time on top of executing in real time. This is not a winner. Furthermore if you make an error in translating a movie, it's really not that big a deal if it doesn't occur too often, and it's easy to check that your translation code is valid. Translating code, on the other hand- a single mistake and it's all down the drain, and it's almost impossible to know that you handle all code correctly.

As another poster said, the x86 chip in the Xbone and PS4 will be VASTLY easier to handle in this regard, since the next generation is quite likely also going to be an x86 chip.

Whilst I love backwards compatibility on my PC, when it comes to consoles, the reality of the technology is that it's really, really not going to happen. For PS1/PS2 games, they're probably not demanding enough anymore compared to a modern chip, so you could get away with emulation. For PS3 games, they're probably too intensive for emulation and the hardware is too expensive to ship, so what are you gonna do? The streaming service is actually a smart innovation by Sony to try a new idea in keeping backwards compat.

All I'm saying is, Bob, I'm afraid that you don't seem to have a tremendously good grasp of the very real issues being faced here by console manufacturers.

you do expect a disc to be pretty universal
Discs are nothing more than a storage medium. They are no more or less universal than the data on them. The fact that a game is on a disc is irrelevant when it comes to the complexities of making the code on that disc execute correctly and sufficiently quickly.

1) The old guy in me wants to rant about how this just motivates an entitlement mentality that shows no respect for patience or doing without if you can't meet someone else's schedule. The admin worker really sees this as an issue when other deadlines seem to be expected to be met, not worked around your schedule (aka the why you don't get to hand in your time sheet 3 days late and still get paid rule).

I mean, I appreciate the convenience, and I'm aware it will have to be an end game for entertainment, but can we quit acting like having to meet a schedule is somehow a punishment?
It is a punishment. You meet the admin schedule because you get paid for it. Since I am not getting paid for watching entertainment, then it is a punishment. Here's a simple example. Right now, I am tremendously sick during the night. This implies sleeping during the day. This implies a desperate need for entertainment during the night to try and ignore my sickness. So going to the cinema is pretty much out of the question. Not to mention all the other stuff like the price and availability of transportation (I don't live in a large city/town). And how uncomfortable the seats are. And not being able to pause in the middle and feed the dog or receive a delivery. And all those dicks at the back who are texting or calling or talking whilst it's going on.

I have the power to receive whatever entertainment I want, to watch it as many times as I want, and whenever I want. Modern technology affords me this power. The only question is who is going to provide me this service- content creators, or The Pirate Bay.

When I have crippling abdominal pain, either you deliver me the entertainment I want right now as fast as my Internet pipes can support it, or I will find someone else who will. Terribly surprising, therefore, that I typically pirate films and television shows, but not games, since I can download them straight from Steam. I can have a much superior service. So why shouldn't I demand it? Capitalism at its finest.

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
That's a good list. Particularly the last one.

I definitely agree that the world of region locking and delayed releases needs to be dealt with. I was a hair's bredth away from buying my boyfriend (who lives in the US, but was in the UK with me for Christmas) a Nintendo 3DS and a bunch of games for Christmas. Then I found out that it's region locked so no games he'd buy back home would work. Nintendo just lost out on at least £200 from me plus the games he would have bought back in America.

On the media side of things Marvel's Agent's of S.H.I.E.L.D. is back on in the US, but rather than showing the episodes the Friday after they aired in the US Channel 4 have decided not to show the new episodes until some time in March. I won't pirate them, but I can guarantee that lots of UK fans will now they'll have to wait months. I understand that shows in the US have all sorts of weird breaks in them unlike here, but I'd rather have them as they come. This goes double for Movies.

Daaaah Whoosh

Jun 23, 2010
Yeah, sorry Bob, when people come to me with this kind of stuff I get the strongest urge to remind people that I have no connection to my generation. Or any generation, for that matter. I don't really fit anywhere, and as such I can't really be part of any sort of social change.

Good luck to the rest of you, though. I'll try and help when I can.

Agayek

Ravenous Gormandizer
Oct 23, 2008
crc32 said:
Yeah #3 isn't happening. You may get Wii/WiiU or PSX/PS2, but sustained BC isn't possible.

As far as I see, as a game developer you have 4 options:
1) Emulation, which you already know is limited.
2) Keep existing hardware appended to your hardware, which'll drive up costs.
3) Keep a similar hardware architecture from generation to generation (see: PSX/PS2, GC/Wii/WiiU) and get stuck with outdated designs.
4) Require all games be rebuilt for your system every gen. Good luck enforcing that.
Point of order:

Sustained backwards compatibility from now until the end of time very much is possible. It simply requires that the manufacturers plan for it. What they would need to do is design a standardized interface that stands between the game and the hardware (think DirectX in Windows machines, or Android as a whole), and keep that standard throughout every iteration of the console. Then, all they need to do to maintain backwards compatibility is create the console-facing side of the interface with each iteration of the hardware.

You now have 100% backwards compatibility with everything everywhere. You likely won't be able to play a game designed for gen 2 on a gen 1 machine (as the interface would very likely be added to or changed in some way), but the reverse will always work.

They didn't do this for several reasons, not least of which is that console manufacturers don't want backwards compatibility (they can't charge you full price for "HD re-releases" that way). There's also technical reasons, because interfaces like that do have an impact on performance. If they design it right, the impact is fairly small, but they're so obsessed with forcing out the latest shiny to sell games based entirely on insubstantial flash that it can seem much larger than acceptable.

That said, the lion's share of the blame lies in the fact that they didn't think that far ahead. If they had sat down and properly planned out the console's, and its successors', lifecycle(s), this kind of thing would (or at least should) have easily occurred to them. It's basic software engineering, literally sophomore year university class project level. It's frankly embarrassing that they didn't implement something along these lines.

DeadMG

Oct 1, 2007
Agayek said:
Sustained backwards compatibility from now until the end of time very much is possible. It simply requires that the manufacturers plan for it. What they would need to do is design a standardized interface that stands between the game and the hardware (think DirectX in Windows machines, or Android as a whole), and keep that standard throughout every iteration of the console. Then, all they need to do to maintain backwards compatibility is create the console-facing side of the interface with each iteration of the hardware.

You now have 100% backwards compatibility with everything everywhere. You likely won't be able to play a game designed for gen 2 on a gen 1 machine (as the interface would very likely be added to or changed in some way), but the reverse will always work.
Yes, I'm sure that if you define an interface and compile some calling code for a Cell SPU, then implement that interface on an x86 chip, this will totally work.

Game incompatibility has absolutely nothing to do with lack of OS API compatibility. It's the compatibility of the underlying hardware. You can't rebuild your game which you built for Cell architecture for x86 architecture- it's already shipped on the discs. The CPU is physically incapable of executing the code you wrote against the interface. There's no interface that can protect you from that unless you don't compile your code to native, which has massive ramifications far beyond just performance.

Finally, we already are moving to that world, because all the architectures except x86 and ARM are dying out or dead, so the CPUs of the future probably will offer an x86 interface.

Multi-Hobbyist

Oct 26, 2009
Falterfire said:
Sony and Microsoft didn't remove backwards compatibility for next gen consoles because they are mean money grubbing bastards - Any halfway intelligent businessman would see giving existing customers a reason to stay enfranchised is a great idea - they did it because adding it would have required them to increase the cost of the console to a level the consumer would be unwilling to pay.
Look at how much money they have already. Sure, everyone wants more money, thus, it's natural they'd increase prices. But do they really HAVE to? Do they really NEED to? No. Don't think for a moment that they aren't filled with avarice. I guess any halfway intelligent businessman also likes to forget that business means greed when you're that high up on the ladder.

OT: Bob, good points. But you're forgetting one fundamental thing when it comes to people and making change happen. Christopher Titus put it best really - "Everybody wants revolution, no one's willing to pack a lunch." Entertainment reform isn't quite revolution, but the point remains the same. Not everyone is going to devote time and effort required to fight for and make the changes happen. They day they do, I will be absolutely dumbfounded and astonished.

JamesBr

Nov 4, 2010
On using special lens to see subtiltles for the hearing impared: I'm not sure how wide spread this is, but about 6 years ago I was working at a Silvercity Cinemas in Ottawa and select theaters DID in fact have special glasses that would display subtitles for hearing impared. I'm not sure exaclty how they worked, but I know it involved the subtitles being projected seperately somehow so they could only be seen with the glasses. It wasn't in every single theater, so not every movie got the treatment, but someone out there IS trying.

Agayek

Ravenous Gormandizer
Oct 23, 2008
DeadMG said:
Yes, I'm sure that if you define an interface and compile some calling code for a Cell SPU, then implement that interface on an x86 chip, this will totally work.

Game incompatibility has absolutely nothing to do with lack of OS API compatibility. It's the compatibility of the underlying hardware. You can't rebuild your game which you built for Cell architecture for x86 architecture- it's already shipped on the discs. The CPU is physically incapable of executing the code you wrote against the interface. There's no interface that can protect you from that unless you don't compile your code to native, which has massive ramifications far beyond just performance.

Finally, we already are moving to that world, because all the architectures except x86 and ARM are dying out or dead, so the CPUs of the future probably will offer an x86 interface.
And if the console manufacturer had thought far enough ahead to design and build the interface properly, you could absolutely use the exact same interface for a Cell SPU and an x86 chip.

I do this kind of thing for a living. It is more than possible, it's actually fairly simple. All you need is a collection of available atomic functions with set inputs and outputs. Once that's done, the specific hardware's quirks are irrelevant, because the game doesn't interact with the hardware directly, it goes through the interface. That's the whole point of the interface layer.

Now, there's technical reasons not to do so (specifically that each computation is slightly more expensive, meaning lower performance out of the same hardware), which I imagine was a pretty big driving factor in the decision to not implement such a structure, but that doesn't change the fact that it's easily possible.

ToastiestZombie

Don't worry. Be happy!
Mar 21, 2011
Region Locking and Regions in general baffle me. The UK have got Netflix for the PS3, the PS4 version came out right at launch yet the PS Vita version is nowhere to be seen two years after it was released.

Actually it doesn't baffle me, I know that it's all just content license bullshit, but what does baffle me is how companies think not releasing something in a certain place is acceptable. Why wait for a regional release and miss all the hype when you can just download it the day it's released?

Hunter Grant

Aug 27, 2013
I see a lot of people defending the lack of Backward compatibility and I really can't agree. Here are the arguments I see here and in other places:

Gaming is disposable play it and get rid of it - I don't share your philosophy, but you're lucky you feel this way the existing trends won't affect you. I on the other hand don't always stay current and it can be years before I play everything I am interested in. Furthermore stuff that's not story based, like party games can be go to items forever.

They had to do it to move to the more dev friendly architecture, just keep your old hardware and stop bitching - A) I don't like to need all that hooked up to my TV and deal with shelf space, I like a pretty clean spartan living area and I like clean lines, a shelf to hold 3 gens worth of hardware won't work with that. B) I have friends who are on their 3rd and 4th PS3s, keeping the old hardware only works so long as warranties or replacement hardware exist. I mentioned this on another site and they said hang on to the disk and wait for hobbyists to come up with Software emulation to X86. Well just wait a second, if that's possible shouldn't Sony just do that? And shouldn't it be easier without needing to reverse engineer anything?

Use PS Now - Suggesting a service which likely requires a subscription to play games I own is not a great suggestion. PS Now is a rental service not backward compatibility.

So, sorry I have yet to see the withdraw of BC as a good or needed thing.

ckam

Make America Great For Who?
Oct 8, 2008
Interesting article, I'd like to see these and Rolling Stones's suggestions to actually come about. One day?

aaron552

Jun 11, 2008
DeadMG said:
unless you don't compile your code to native, which has massive ramifications far beyond just performance.
[citation needed]

As a programmer, I know that JIT compilation can (in certain cases) actually be *faster* than pre-compiled code. It can have better cache access patterns, more efficient memory management, memory fragmentation can be reduced (when using garbage-collection) and code doesn't have to be rewritten to take advantage of the features of the platform it is run on (eg. SSE, etc.), where applicable. The days of "Java is so slow" are decades behind us now.

However, there are some things that can reduce performance - you can't write ASM to improve performance-sensitive areas of the code, and garbage collection causes runtime to become non-deterministic. There are solutions to both, neither of which require you to give up JIT compilation.

DeadMG

Oct 1, 2007
Agayek said:
DeadMG said:

And if the console manufacturer had thought far enough ahead to design and build the interface properly, you could absolutely use the exact same interface for a Cell SPU and an x86 chip.

I do this kind of thing for a living. It is more than possible, it's actually fairly simple. All you need is a collection of available atomic functions with set inputs and outputs. Once that's done, the specific hardware's quirks are irrelevant, because the game doesn't interact with the hardware directly, it goes through the interface. That's the whole point of the interface layer.

Now, there's technical reasons not to do so (specifically that each computation is slightly more expensive, meaning lower performance out of the same hardware), which I imagine was a pretty big driving factor in the decision to not implement such a structure, but that doesn't change the fact that it's easily possible.
How are you going to call the functions when you don't know what instruction set to emit calls for? I very much doubt that you can build one set of binary code that will be "call" on x86 and "call" on Cell. With all the same relevant semantics and ABIs.

I'm getting the feeling that what you're really thinking about would be using a VM or other JIT compilation. This has far more serious ramifications than just degraded performance (all kinds). For example, the design of C and C++ effectively prevent in many cases being compiled to a platform-independent IL. Ask the LLVM guys. The console developers would have to engineer their entire toolchains (not to mention potentially their own languages...) to support such a thing. The cost in both performance and developer time for both console manufacturer and game developer would be immense.

Well just wait a second, if that's possible shouldn't Sony just do that? And shouldn't it be easier without needing to reverse engineer anything?
It's not really possible. Even for PS2 emulators, half the games don't work. And since both PS3 and Xbox360 are multicore chips, you'd have to handle emulating multiple threads and their potential interactions (which Cell and x86 handle differently, yay) on top of all the other stuff that will go wrong. Not to mention all the optimizations that were performed that suddenly became massive pessimizations. And all of this in real time.

Removing BC is not a good thing. It's simply the only possible choice. Sony in particular backed themselves into a very nasty corner with Cell and it's not feasible to go down that road again. Emulating a CPU is only as simple as the CPU you're emulating, which means it's become exponentially more difficult for each generation.

If Sony could just emulate it, they would. They haven't for a reason, and it's because it's not feasible.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Well, I agree with you on 4 our of 5 points.

Region locking is not going to go away, the reason for it is a little deeper than you give it credit for, a lot of it has to do with trade polices and practices. One of the big reasons for it when it comes to physical media is that corporations tend to price their products based on what the target region can afford, and what the market conditions are like there, and they do this more often than many people might think. Normally we hear a lot of QQ from limited markets like Australia or Europe talking about how they wind up paying more for things, but the flip side is that you see a lot of product being sold in Asian markets, and places south of the border (usually further south than Mexico) where they are competing with knockoffs created by the same sweatshops they employ. Not to mention the issue of taxes and tariffs collected by various nations as things cross the border that can influence prices (leading to lower prices per unit where things are more generous) and similar things. Indeed the whole point of "duty" stations which you even see coming out of Canada is to equalize prices due to regional differences.

The idea here being that especially if you buy in bulk a lot of money can be made by buying items up in countries and regions where the price is cheap, and then re-selling them in other markets. Things like DVDs and the like are popular targets for this, and things like region locking are attempts to deal with it. If you've ever been to some of the larger flea markets (like the one outside of Giants Stadium in New York... or at least that is where I remember) you see tons of this stuff with shady characters selling van loads of consumer products that actually ARE the real thing in many cases, for below retail.

This also plays a role in human smuggling as well, as the cost of a person coming into the US illegally with a "Coyote" or on some "smuggling" ship is in part dictated by how much money could be made using that same space simply shipping this kind of cargo around, albeit with a much greater risk since there are people involved.

Bringing rum in from the islands under the radar is a big business still, as are consumer electronics, and just about anything else you can think of. Organized crime gets heavily involved in this as well, since with a bit of effort in following the trends there is reliable amount of money to be made, and for the most part the authorities don't care about enforcement when it comes to consumer products and entertainment media.

-

As far as dealing with the problems inherent in conflict minerals and borderline slave labor goes, that isn't going to happen unless people like me become the dominant voice within society. Simply put left wingers who can't get by without taking every opportunity to make slams on right wing conspiracy theorists, and members of the new generation that follow a similar idealogy, simply cannot get it done.

At the end of the day this is one of those problems where there actually is no overwhelming good or evil involved. Indeed the plight we're seeing is largely judged by how far below our standard of living these people are, some guy who is miserable working as a clerk, can look at some dude in a third world mineral mine and go "wow, he has it really bad" and feel guilty.

For the most part the places where this is going on have very little other than the resources they are harvesting, and it's not like there are a lot of other jobs or things most of these people can do. It's also typically a high threat environment where the governments transition power frequently, and the rebel faction of the week is no better than the guys they are fighting against. The people themselves are also generally violent and uneducated, and one of the reasons such hardcore methods are used in discipline is because that's literally what that environment requires. What's more the jobs, despite those conditions (which are expected) are in such high demand that there is little value placed on the worker and nobody cares if one is injured, including other working class people, who generally speaking tend to be ecstatic because it means a job (even a hellish one) has just opened up.

The point is that the second and third world is a mess of problem upon problem upon problem, you can't really come in and say "we're going to resolve the worker issues" without basically resolving everything else wrong with the society as well, starting with the fact that there might not even be a society as we tend to understand the term. In the USA for example if someone mentions "The Civil War" we know it refers to our one major civil war involving the North and South, in most of these countries they are likely to be confused you like like "WHICH Civil War, there have been so many? Give me a time frame, you mean this week?".

In some places like Africa the problem might even be further compounded by overpopulation and there simply not being enough food and clean water. Increasing infrastructure with outside help usually goes nowhere in the long run as it's usually wrecked in a power transition, and educating the people so they can help each other usually just means that the educated become the new warlords, except more savvy ones capable of exploiting UN policies and the like.

The point being it's not the kind of thing where you can just go in and talk about change and meetings of the minds, and offer charity and material support, and see things turn out for the better. If it was that easy, these problems wouldn't still be going on.

As far as people like me solving the problem, well that usually comes down to my usual maxim of "being a bastard works" which pretty much in this case means you have to acknowledge these problems are the result of a poison that simply goes too deep. To avoid rambling about specifics nobody cares about or trying to "sell" the point , at the end of the day the bottom line is that these entire "nations" need to be wrecked, involving the deaths of millions on all sides, so they can start over again.

Of course at the same time, there is also the big question of what we get for doing this other than to kill a whole heck of a lot of people, except a truly massive bill, and at least a temporary loss of the same materials we want since nobody will be mining them, unless of course we just want to flat out take an age of conquest "we're better than you, so this is now ours" attitude and seize the mines and such.

When it comes to slave labour in factories, we benefit more directly if we do it right by flat our removing the knockoffs and completion, but when it comes to "conflict minerals" you just cannot resolve the problem without being even more "evil" than the people your criticizing at least temporarily, since it's about more than the workers, or even any given regime or government. You need to not only knock it all over, but kill the roots too, and start all over, and while someone like me might be willing to do that, again, the bottom line is what would we hope to actually achieve?

Agayek

Ravenous Gormandizer
Oct 23, 2008
DeadMG said:
How are you going to call the functions when you don't know what instruction set to emit calls for? I very much doubt that you can build one set of binary code that will be "call" on x86 and "call" on Cell. With all the same relevant semantics and ABIs.

I'm getting the feeling that what you're really thinking about would be using a VM or other JIT compilation. This has far more serious ramifications than just degraded performance (all kinds). For example, the design of C and C++ effectively prevent in many cases being compiled to a platform-independent IL. Ask the LLVM guys. The console developers would have to engineer their entire toolchains (not to mention potentially their own languages...) to support such a thing. The cost in both performance and developer time for both console manufacturer and game developer would be immense.
I'm thinking that they should have designed their consoles so that games don't directly interface with the hardware, and a VM is one way of doing that, yes. I'd personally prefer something closer to the way PCs handle these issues, with a standardized set of outward-facing software hooks (see: OS system calls, DirectX APIs, etc) so that the amount of direct hardware <-> external software interaction is kept to a minimum. It's really quite simple, software designed for Windows XP on a certain machine can run just fine (albeit with a few rare hiccups, depending on the program in question) on a Windows 7 machine with completely different hardware. That's the kind of separation I'm talking about.

Now, I absolutely agree with you that, as the consoles currently stand, backward compatibility is not a feasible option and we can't really expect it to happen. That doesn't mean it wasn't a mistake for the console manufacturers to put themselves in that position in the first place.