Five Reasons 'Binge-Watching' Is Bad For Us

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
I think with binge watching you (paradoxically) remember less too because you don't have that period to process/think about single episodes after

because you're getting it in one giant blob you have to pick out the vital stuff and the rest you kind of forget

like the amount of times on the subedit for OITNB the amount of people were like "wait what part was that again?" for seasons 1 and 2 surprised me [footnote/]only thing there was I watched those series later than they did[/footnote] whereas with season 3 I can remember the broad strokes but not the details

lassiie

May 26, 2013
Pretty terrible article...

1. There is WAYYYYYYYYYYY more variety then there ever was before in TV. Just like you say people used to flip through channels looking for something, people do the same in Netflix. There are hidden gems that I find now that there is no way in hell I would've ever found even 10 years ago. Why? Because I don't have to happen to be flipping through channels at the right time and come across the show when it's not on a commercial break. I can give whatever show I want to a try and decide whether or not I keep watching it. If you are the mindless sheep that only looks at the "suggested for you" portion you deserve to miss out on great shows.

2. As for only suiting some genres? What? How I Met Your Mother was one of the most popular shows for a long time and it is basically Friends with a tiny little twist. Very few of the episodes have anything to do with eachother except for a few long running jokes, no different then any other sitcom. There are way more genres of shows then ever before, and it is stupid to say that just because right now serious adult-oriented dramas are popular that means nothing else will be produced. Look at what Netflix has produced. The Unbreakable Kimmy Schimdt. Silly sitcom with mostly self contained episodes. House of Cards. Political thriller (don't know what else to call it). Orange is the New Black. Semi-serious comedy about women in prison. Those are three completely different shows being produced by Netflix alone. This is a completely ridiculous argument.

3. How is not being able to keep up a problem when EVERY show you can possibly want is at your fingertips online? What's wrong with not having seen a show? That means you have something to look forward to. I didn't get into Breaking Bad until it was in it's fourth season and it was a treat to binge watch to catch up. There are plenty of shows that I look forward to watching eventually and I love that they are there.

4. Preservation....SERIOUSLY?????????????? Is this the first time the author has used the internet? I downloaded the entire series of MXC a few months back. For those that don't know, MXC is the Most Xtreme Elimination Challenge, a somewhat obscure show on Spike TV back in the day. I just looked on Kickass Torrents and you can download the entire I Love Lucy series. They have all seasons of Sabrina the Teenage Witch available for download. Point is, just about everything you can think of is available to watch or download somewhere. Preservation will never be an issue again.

5. So I guess reading a book is anti-social? Or playing video games? Or going on a hike through the woods alone? Yes, if these things are the ONLY thing you do, it can be anti-social. But in all honesty, why is that bad to begin with? I personally prefer to spend most of my time alone anyways. Is that somehow a bad trait? I am not incapable of interacting socially, I spent 5 years in the Marine Corps and am working on my Masters in Economics at the moment, so I am clearly capable of succeeding when put into social situations. What does it matter if my hobby of choice is watching Tv shows alone or just with my girlfriend? Why do we in this society condemn someone for enjoying spending time alone. I still have friends that I occasionally hang out with but who are you to say that my preferred hobby is bad? Sure if I am shirking my other responsibilities then it is a problem, but most people don't do that.

In conclusion, this article is entirely off-base as to why binge watching is bad for us. I have seen better reasons from other posters on here, such as remembering entire seasons as one big mushy blob struggling to recall specifics because we have no time to process each episode. That is a better argument then anything the author presented.

NinjaDeathSlap

Leaf on the wind
Feb 20, 2011
Well first of all, cool your jets a bit.

lassiie said:
1. There is WAYYYYYYYYYYY more variety then there ever was before in TV. Just like you say people used to flip through channels looking for something, people do the same in Netflix. There are hidden gems that I find now that there is no way in hell I would've ever found even 10 years ago. Why? Because I don't have to happen to be flipping through channels at the right time and come across the show when it's not on a commercial break. I can give whatever show I want to a try and decide whether or not I keep watching it. If you are the mindless sheep that only looks at the "suggested for you" portion you deserve to miss out on great shows.
Well that's great for you, and in my conclusion I said myself that it's up to us to put in the effort to broaden our horizons. The trouble is, many of the 'hidden gems' are more hidden than ever before. If something's not in the top selections for any of the categories displayed on Netflix's front page, then people who aren't specifically looking for it just won't find it. Hell, most people probably won't even scroll through more than the first few categories before they find something they'll settle on. That doesn't make them "mindless sheep", regardless of how sad you or I might find it.

2. As for only suiting some genres? What? How I Met Your Mother was one of the most popular shows for a long time and it is basically Friends with a tiny little twist. Very few of the episodes have anything to do with eachother except for a few long running jokes, no different then any other sitcom. There are way more genres of shows then ever before, and it is stupid to say that just because right now serious adult-oriented dramas are popular that means nothing else will be produced. Look at what Netflix has produced. The Unbreakable Kimmy Schimdt. Silly sitcom with mostly self contained episodes. House of Cards. Political thriller (don't know what else to call it). Orange is the New Black. Semi-serious comedy about women in prison. Those are three completely different shows being produced by Netflix alone. This is a completely ridiculous argument.
You just named one show that already benefited from a large and vocal audience long before online streaming became as big as it is. In a world where online viewing may come to completely dominate the market, new shows won't get the same head start.

Indeed, it would be stupid to make such a sweeping absolutist argument. I guess it's fortunate then, that that's not remotely what I said. I'm not predicting a world where the sit-com will be extinct five years from now. However, these shows are going to find it harder than before to build up a following unless both the viewers and the service providers put the effort in to support them where they deserve to be supported. I just want to make sure that happens, because it's not unheard of for entertainment markets to just decide that whole genre's aren't worth their investment any more based on shoddy, swallow analysis. Just look at what happened to Survival Horror in the AAA game market.

3. How is not being able to keep up a problem when EVERY show you can possibly want is at your fingertips online? What's wrong with not having seen a show?
On it's own, nothing. However, when there are dozens that you're constantly being bombarded with and that cannot possibly all be given a chance, it gets a little frustrating, not to mention passively exclusionary.

4.Point is, just about everything you can think of is available to watch or download somewhere. Preservation will never be an issue again
And I'm sure, when you bother to download material instead of simply streaming it, you're always diligent in backing up those files. Not that you need to. After all, digital data getting lost or corrupted is completely unheard of, right?

5. So I guess reading a book is anti-social? Or playing video games? Or going on a hike through the woods alone? Yes, if these things are the ONLY thing you do, it can be anti-social. But in all honesty, why is that bad to begin with? I personally prefer to spend most of my time alone anyways. Is that somehow a bad trait? I am not incapable of interacting socially, I spent 5 years in the Marine Corps and am working on my Masters in Economics at the moment, so I am clearly capable of succeeding when put into social situations. What does it matter if my hobby of choice is watching Tv shows alone or just with my girlfriend? Why do we in this society condemn someone for enjoying spending time alone. I still have friends that I occasionally hang out with but who are you to say that my preferred hobby is bad? Sure if I am shirking my other responsibilities then it is a problem, but most people don't do that.
I makes me sad that you think that was the point I was making. After all, I did use rather a lot of words to make it clear that I, in fact, was not doing that. The least you could do is read them...

If the kind of situation I was outlining in that part of the article does not apply to you, then feel free to discard it as irrelevant, and good luck with your Marine Economics and girlfriend, that you mention in a way that sounds not at all defensive and compensatory.

Amir Kondori

Apr 11, 2013
While I typically don't binge watch series I will watch anywhere from 2 to 5 episodes in a row, especially since I am watching online without commercials.

lassiie

May 26, 2013
NinjaDeathSlap said:
Well that's great for you, and in my conclusion I said myself that it's up to us to put in the effort to broaden our horizons. The trouble is, many of the 'hidden gems' are more hidden than ever before. If something's not in the top selections for any of the categories displayed on Netflix's front page, then people who aren't specifically looking for it just won't find it. Hell, most people probably won't even scroll through more than the first few categories before they find something they'll settle on. That doesn't make them "mindless sheep", regardless of how sad you or I might find it.
How is it harder to find shows now then it was when you had to randomly flip through TV channels to find something. No matter what spin you put on it, there is a better chance of finding hidden gems now because of the availability of these shows. If you got off work at 7 and the hidden gem show started at 630, you would NEVER find it. And I disagree with your assessment that most people will only scroll through the first few categories and decide something. I've joked with friends before that my 'movie' before bed was scrolling through the Netflix library trying to find something to watch. They had all done this as well, and I am assuming we aren't the only people in the world who have done this. I think a very small percentage of people will miss out on shows because they follow Netflix's top 10 movies or suggested for you, and those people are mindless sheep.

You just named one show that already benefited from a large and vocal audience long before online streaming became as big as it is. In a world where online viewing may come to completely dominate the market, new shows won't get the same head start.

Indeed, it would be stupid to make such a sweeping absolutist argument. I guess it's fortunate then, that that's not remotely what I said. I'm not predicting a world where the sit-com will be extinct five years from now. However, these shows are going to find it harder than before to build up a following unless both the viewers and the service providers put the effort in to support them where they deserve to be supported. I just want to make sure that happens, because it's not unheard of for entertainment markets to just decide that whole genre's aren't worth their investment any more based on shoddy, swallow analysis. Just look at what happened to Survival Horror in the AAA game market.
The second How I Met Your Mother was on Netflix it was watched by millions of people, including myself. I notice how you ignore my other sitcom that has been very successful that came out this year, which is The Unbreakable Kimmy Schimdt. I think as long as their is an audience willing to watch, Netflix will continue producing there own amazing shows. Eventually, others will start producing shows just for Netflix or Hulu. I think Netflix realizes why they are the most popular streaming service, and it is in variety of Genres. They have everything from kids shows to ecchi anime to serious political thrillers to silly sitcoms. Netflix needs that variety to remain as dominant as it is today. If they lose it, other sites will pop up that can do it better.

You bring up the AAA industry like it is relevant in this conversation, but the reason the AAA industry feels safe with its actions is that there are extremely high barriers to entry into the video game industry, whereas starting a website has almost no barriers to entry. Which is why almost every website today has surpassed someone before it. Most of the AAA companies have been around for decades at this point, with the occasional new ones popping up.

On it's own, nothing. However, when there are dozens that you're constantly being bombarded with and that cannot possibly all be given a chance, it gets a little frustrating, not to mention passively exclusionary.
So what is the alternative. Would you rather have LESS movies and shows available? Because I think there would be a lot of people that disagree with that statement. You have to choose which shows are important enough to watch, or which ones your friends watch and suggest. I am watching Ergo Proxy right now, even though it wasn't on the top of my list for things to watch because one of my friends suggested it. It's turning out to be a great decision as Ergo Proxy is an amazing show. I will never be able to watch all the Anime I want, and it is just something I've accepted. So I go through my list trying to decide the best ones. I would rather have too much choice then too little any day of the week though.

And I'm sure, when you bother to download material instead of simply streaming it, you're always diligent in backing up those files. Not that you need to. After all, digital data getting lost or corrupted is completely unheard of, right?
Personally, I do backup all my media, but part of that is because I get a new computer every year or two. So do hundreds of thousands of other PC users. One of my friends downloads shows and movies and music all day 24/7 just to put them onto his many backup hard drives just so he can have them. Many people do similar things. With so many people doing this, there is next to a 0% chance that everyone will all lose their data of some show at the same time. Since it can all be copied, all it means is one person has to still have that data in order for it to be distributed again.

I makes me sad that you think that was the point I was making. After all, I did use rather a lot of words to make it clear that I, in fact, was not doing that. The least you could do is read them...

If the kind of situation I was outlining in that part of the article does not apply to you, then feel free to discard it as irrelevant, and good luck with your Marine Economics and girlfriend, that you mention in a way that sounds not at all defensive and compensatory.
I spend 90% of my time alone. As do many others. Explain to me WHY this is bad for me, don't just say it like it is some accepted fact. You said in your article:

However, if the above applies to you on a not-infrequent basis, then you know who you are, and you should know it's not good for you.
Why is it not good for me? Explain it to me. Because it sure seems like you are telling me what is good or not good for me in my own personal life without knowing me. The reason why I brought up those particulars was to show that regardless of the way I prefer to spend my freetime, I can still be successful in social situations, and for some reason you called them defensive and compensatory. I also don't know what Marine Economics is, although I assume you were trying to make a joke. I, in general, spend about 70% of my day alone, either watching TV Shows/movies, playing video games, doing schoolwork or reading. AND I LOVE IT. My girlfriend and I live together, and she works a lot so it works out great in terms of getting time to myself. I know plenty of people like me who are in similar situations that prefer spending there free time alone. We are constantly told that being 'anti-social' is somehow bad. Some people feel that desire to go hang out with people, which happens to me every once in a while, and guess what, I go hang out with people. Just because that desire to be social is the accepted norm, doesn't mean that it is bad to be in the minority.

Ultimately, it comes down to one very important Economic assumption. "Individuals always act in a manner which will maximize their perceived net benefit". Regardless of whether or not you agree or disagree, you have no place to say binge watching is bad for us. You could've titled this article "Five Reasons 'Binge-Watching' Is Bad For Me" and it would've been perfectly acceptable.

NinjaDeathSlap

Leaf on the wind
Feb 20, 2011
lassiie said:
How is it harder to find shows now then it was when you had to randomly flip through TV channels to find something.
I said it in the article. Netflix an their contemporaries use algorithms to push to you similar shows to the ones you watch most. It's not just the 'Recommended For You' section. What categories get displayed in what order, as well as the order individual shows are displayed within them, is also calculated, which does make it harder to find good examples of genres that are not traditionally in your wheelhouse. Regular TV listings don't put certain channels higher up the list because they're related to the channels you watch the most often.

I'm not saying you never missed out on anything the old way. It's simply impossible to watch everything that's out there for you to enjoy, no matter what the system. However, with the new system, if something hasn't been put on your front page, then you're never going to find it unless you're actively told to search for it by someone else.

The second How I Met Your Mother was on Netflix it was watched by millions of people, including myself.
That's exactly my point. HIMYM already HAD an audience of millions of people who were going to watch it no matter what format it was on. Therefore, it's success is not indicative of the norm. Neither, by the way, is The Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt (or TUKS for short) as it is a Netflix exclusive show, which means of course Netflix is going to put the extra effort in to push it to you.

My point wasn't that Netflix has no selection. I clarified the opposite at least once. However, simply having the selection doesn't mean the selection is properly balanced. Supermarkets have tens of thousands of different product on sale, ranging from groceries, to clothes, and even to firearms in some places. However, from the moment you walk in the door these stores are pushing to you their own-brand products, their exclusive deals, and whatever else is their biggest moneymaker. This isn't actually great for the consumer.

So what is the alternative. Would you rather have LESS movies and shows available?
No! Jesus, how is that the first extrapolation you make from what I've said? My point, as I took pains to clarify, is that when scheduled programming paced us all evenly, it was easier to keep up.

With so many people doing this, there is next to a 0% chance that everyone will all lose their data of some show at the same time. Since it can all be copied, all it means is one person has to still have that data in order for it to be distributed again.
And without an officially recognised and regulated body to manage the storage and distribution of this material, what's there to stop a decent potion of it getting lost on a USB down the back of our collective sofa?

As for the rest of it? Whether it's 90 or 70%, I'm pretty sure either of those figures would work out as an exaggeration if you worked it out; but if that really is correct, then yeah, you're probably not living the healthiest lifestyle, socially or otherwise. Why is is not good for you? Well, 'lack of sunlight' is probably as good a place to start as any. If you want the full list, I suggest you ask a damn doctor!

If, on the other hand, it's not so bad as all that, then I did say "every once in a while" after all. Did you think I was suggesting that you should be spending every available minute at parties, because I'm not sure where it what I wrote you could get that from without also running into something refuting it?

AntiChri5

Nov 9, 2011
harrisongrimms said:
I get paid $9 an hour to bimge watch Tv, what now?

Do what you love guys

Im currently watchimg the leprechaun series (up to in the hood 2) the terminator series for when leprechaun gets so stupid I need a break (on salvation, then watchin sarah conner chronicles)

Then im goimg to start over on Knights of Sidonia, since they took a year to make a 2nd season and I dont remember jack lol.

I also recently watched Human Centipede 3......and I dont recommend it lol
How the fuck do I get in on this?

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Lightknight said:
Regarding the article, I'd like to respond in depth:
I think I liked your response more than the article (which was fun in its own way)...
1. Variety
I've heard we now have more varied TV choices than ever before, but we are also spending more on TV than ever before. I beleive that. Some spending I would discount. I have amazon prime for shipping but it comes with "Netflix-Light". That likely counts as TV spending even so.
2. Not fitting other genres:... Are you indicating that in the future the genres that can't be binge watched won't be created at all?
Sounds like a reasonable interpretation of what he is stating. I think he's wrong. See Variety above.

3. Can't keep up: This just means that we have less and less excuse to be bored
Exactly. We're going to have to be more selective with what we watch.

4. Preservation
I think we need to change our very concepts of what makes great art. My Mom used to say "It stands the test of time". But, if my dumb kids don't recognize why Citizen Kane is great, their failure doesn't make it less art.

But as you learned from Wayne's World movies, nothing is ever going away ever again.

Example: I heard about this interview in a "Behind the Music" documentary and found that you can watch it even now, nearly 40 years later:
5. Anti-social
This sort of thing has been a concern for some time.

Example, from 2000

Getting back to variety, if what I want is directed to just a tiny select audience members, can we worry about an ever increasing inability to connect with the rest of society?

Dunno what the Neilson numbers are for most shows. M.A.S.H. finale: we only had a few channels to watch so everyone saw it and could discuss it way back then. Today, If I'm hooked on only shows about Darter Snails but never binge watch, what common frame of cultural reference will I have with others?

I did binge watch Madmen with the Missus. Binge watching in and of itself is not the problem. We had fun together doing it.