FizzBuzz Test

HerbertTheHamster

Apr 6, 2009
And 30% of all applicants every year at my university are from some -stan country and can't even read.

stupid people don't know when to stop, this is nothing new.

feather240

Jul 16, 2009
MidnightCat said:
That's fine, it just means there'll be more programming positions available for me to choose from.

Using C++ [http://pastebin.com/JVS6NdHR] // Using Java [http://pastebin.com/rYAG0LSi]
That's the spirit!

IsraelRocks

Apr 21, 2010
feather240 said:
Like how you put a quotation mark in the middle of your program and rendered half of it irrelevant?
Because im sure what the OP meant by not knowing how to solve it was they write the code with a single syntax error.

Sgt. Dante

Jul 30, 2008
Musiclly enhanced said:
wow im 15 and only looked at youtube tutorials and i could do this
Ok, now sit down in an interview, in an office, without a computer, and write it on a sheet of paper... You have 10 mins.

Missing the point much?

feather240

Jul 16, 2009
Sgt. Dante said:
Musiclly enhanced said:
Ok, now sit down in an interview, in an office, without a computer, and write it on a sheet of paper... You have 10 mins.

Missing the point much?
Ten minutes is enough time to write it several times. He's not missing the point.

IsraelRocks said:
feather240 said:
Like how you put a quotation mark in the middle of your program and rendered half of it irrelevant?
Because im sure what the OP meant by not knowing how to solve it was they write the code with a single syntax error.
Joking, also I am the OP.

Sgt. Dante

Jul 30, 2008
feather240 said:
Sgt. Dante said:
Musiclly enhanced said:

Missing the point much?
Ten minutes is enough time to write it several times. He's not missing the point.
Bolded for emphasis, any idiot could do it sitting in front of a computer with handy access to the internet... I guarantee you that nowhere near 99.5% of people would fail this test if they were online doing it.

Never mind the added stress and pressure of an interview (an already oppressive atmosphere) and the fact that simple syntax errors are stupidly common (I made one just earlier today that took about 15 mins to find).

And yes if you know what you're doing you could write it a few times in 10 mins, BUT if you're a 15 year old kid who doesn't know his arse from his elbow in the programming world saying that if he had the internet handy he could do it then yes, he is missing the point.

feather240

Jul 16, 2009
Sgt. Dante said:
feather240 said:
Sgt. Dante said:
Musiclly enhanced said:

Missing the point much?
Bolded for emphasis, any idiot could do it sitting in front of a computer with handy access to the internet... I guarantee you that nowhere near 99.5% of people would fail this test if they were online doing it.

Never mind the added stress and pressure of an interview (an already oppressive atmosphere) and the fact that simple syntax errors are stupidly common (I made one just earlier today that took about 15 mins to find).

And yes if you know what you're doing you could write it a few times in 10 mins, BUT if you're a 15 year old kid who doesn't know his arse from his elbow in the programming world saying that if he had the internet handy he could do it then yes, he is missing the point.
He's saying he's only looked at a few youtube videos and he can still do it anyway. Not that he needs to look at a few youtube videos to learn how. The test is very easy. It's so easy that even if he was "a 15 year old kid who doesn't know his arse from his elbow in the programming world" he could probably do it.

IsraelRocks

Apr 21, 2010
feather240 said:
Sgt. Dante said:
Musiclly enhanced said:

Missing the point much?

IsraelRocks said:
feather240 said:
Joking, also I am the OP.

Self inflicted FAIL

Forgot to write this earlier i find the whole thing hard to believe, this is waay to basic.

Musiclly enhanced

Sep 8, 2010
feather240 said:
Sgt. Dante said:
feather240 said:
Sgt. Dante said:
Musiclly enhanced said:

Missing the point much?

He's saying he's only looked at a few youtube videos and he can still do it anyway. Not that he needs to look at a few youtube videos to learn how. The test is very easy. It's so easy that even if he was "a 15 year old kid who doesn't know his arse from his elbow in the programming world" he could probably do it.
thank you :D

Musiclly enhanced

Sep 8, 2010
Sgt. Dante said:
Musiclly enhanced said:

Missing the point much?
wow nice dick comment.

Sir Broccoli

Sep 17, 2008
Wha? Seriously? There are people who apply for programming jobs who can't program for shit? That's just plain stupid.
Anyway, my answer to the fizzbuzz thing:
for (int i = 0; i < 100; i++) {
String pVal = "";
if (i % 3 == 0) {
pVal += "Fizz";
}
if (i % 5 == 0) {
pVal += "Buzz";
}
if (pVal != "") {
System.out.println(pVal);
}
else {
System.out.println(i);
}
}

EDIT: Graah, stupid forum made it difficult to read. *sigh* here's a pastebin version: http://pastebin.com/7gtEjF2v

Also, I'm a 2nd/3rd year CS student.

feather240

Jul 16, 2009
Musiclly enhanced said:
feather240 said:
Sgt. Dante said:
feather240 said:
Sgt. Dante said:
Musiclly enhanced said:

Missing the point much?

thank you :D
Don't get clingy on me.