Flappy Bird Creator Launching New Game Swing Copters

Esmeralda Portillo

Jun 16, 2014
Flappy Bird Creator Launching New Game Swing Copters

Swing Copters is the latest game from Flappy Bird creator.

Six months after pulling his first game Flappy Bird from circulation for being too addictive, [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/132161-Flappy-Bird-Creator-Pulled-Game-Because-it-Was-Too-Addictive] game developer Dong Nguyen is set to release Swing Copters on August 21st.

Swing Copters will be a free game that plays very similar to Flappy Bird, only this time you avoid obstacles vertically instead of horizontally. A single app purchase of $0.99 will remove all the ads if desired. The graphics do still have a Mario flare to them, at least the platforms do [http://cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/787/787389.png]. In any case, TouchArcade reports the game is just as hard as Flappy Bird, and just as addicting.

Flappy Bird inspired a craze when it reached popularity early this year, though it originally released in 2013. After being pulled down in February, the game has been revised and re-released trademarks were filed [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/136588-Flappy-Birds-is-Back-But-Only-On-the-Amazon-App-Store]. Let's see if Swing Copters achieves the same level of success.

Source: Polygon [http://www.polygon.com/2014/8/18/6031979/flappy-bird-swing-copters-mobile-ios-android-dong-nguyen]

ZeroAxis

Apr 11, 2010
Flappy Birds cost me a piece of my soul. I will simply make popcorn and watch the Youtube vids for this.

PsychicTaco115

I've Been Having These Weird Dreams Lately...
Legacy
Mar 17, 2012
Country
United States
Maybe this time he won't get blue balls and keep the game on the app store this time

Wait a minute, the game's pretty much the same thing but horizontal!

Reincarnatedwolfgod

Jan 17, 2011
He is essentially making the same game he made earlier. In other words this game developer is a uncreative one trick pony.

It is kinda sad this gets attention when there actual good games out their who deserve getting the same attention. this game developer is not even trying.

Kuala BangoDango

Mar 19, 2009
Reincarnatedwolfgod said:
He is essentially making the same game he made earlier. In other words this game developer is a uncreative one trick pony.

It is kinda sad this gets attention when there actual good games out their who deserve getting the same attention. this game developer is not even trying.
Yeah, but it's kinda hard to fault the guy. When you know so many people are idiot enough to pay huge amounts of cash for such a simple game you'd have to be crazy NOT to change a little part of it and re-release it for another massive influx of cash.

It'd be like the Pokemon guys releasing a new edition of Pokemon stuff after changing Pikachu from yellow to green...

...or the iPhone guys slapping a different frame on their phone every few months and calling it a new series...

...or the Sims developers to chop out a portion of the next Sims game saying "oh, we can't implement that" all while implementing it just a little bit later as a separate DLC pack for extra money...

...or any of the other numerous examples.

Yes it sucks when people take advantage of other people's stupidity for extra cash but when it's over such huge amounts of extra cash I really don't know that's I wouldn't end up doing it myself.

frobalt

Jan 2, 2012
I studied Games Programming at university and would love to eventually work at a games company, and this sort of game getting popular pisses me off.

How is it rubbish like this can become so popular yet actual decent games struggle?

Harleykin

Sep 11, 2013
frobalt said:
I studied Games Programming at university and would love to eventually work at a games company, and this sort of game getting popular pisses me off.

How is it rubbish like this can become so popular yet actual decent games struggle?
look at popular books music movies and so on. i don't think you should be all that suprised

yeah it's just flappy birds changed at a 90 degree angle woohoo!!
i'm happy stupid people will throw money at this. that way they might not buy guns or cars to actually hurt people with.

Davey Woo

Jan 9, 2009
Wow, there's only a minor mechanical difference between the two games, at least it looks like he's using more unique sprites and stuff this time.
This game is going to sell like crazy just because of the hype from flappy bird.

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
My thoughts were Flappy Bird: Vertical edition. Which is basically what it looks like.

Someone Depressing

Jan 16, 2011
Oh, look, worhtless, uninspired shit getting media attention because of surrounding controversies.

This is the monster we helped create, people. Just sit there and take that in. It's like Sarkeesian, except a tad tolerable.