Flash Game Makes Players Beat Up "Tropes vs. Women" Creator

Mylinkay Asdara

Waiting watcher
Nov 28, 2010
cynicalsaint1 said:
/facepalm

Is this really the culture that I'm supposedly a part of?
You know I really want to be proud of being a geek or whatever.
But more and more, I'm only made able to feel more ashamed of it.
This. So much this that it hurts.

Whatever the issue is anymore - and honestly, it could be this or it could be one of dozens of other issues flying around right now - I am having a harder and harder time being openly proud of being a gamer (female or otherwise) because of the behavior of a small but extremely vocal minority of people who I really must say don't deserve to call themselves a part of us. That's how I feel anyway. You don't deserve to call yourself part of the culture I am proud of if you act like a complete and total waste of oxygen and delight in causing strife and exist only to make yourselves the worst example. This isn't what I, or indeed I think we, want to be about.

Suicidejim

Jul 1, 2011
Aww hell no! I thought we were done with this!

Crap. Here comes round . . . god, I don't even know anymore.

Oct 30, 2010
So we've reached the point where scam means anything one personally won't spend money on?

Turtleneck sweaters are a scam!

FogHornG36

Jan 29, 2011
she has a right to say what ever she wants, and make videos about what ever she wants, Totally free speech, but, this goes both ways, people have a right to say what ever they want about her, even if it is not vary nice.

When you put your face, your name, your ideals on the internet you are stepping into harms way, you can't expect people to just play nice, and treat you nice no mater what you say or do. Then again people being an ass to her got her 160,000 dollars, but what she does with that money will show everyone her true colors.

DioWallachia

Sep 9, 2011
Dear gentleman, maker of this piece of art:

WHAT IN THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH YOU?

Go fuck yourself and have a nice day.

Nyarly :D

Jorec

Jul 7, 2010
FogHornG36 said:
she has a right to say what ever she wants, and make videos about what ever she wants, Totally free speech, but, this goes both ways, people have a right to say what ever they want about her, even if it is not vary nice.

When you put your face, your name, your ideals on the internet you are stepping into harms way, you can't expect people to just play nice, and treat you nice no mater what you say or do. Then again people being an ass to her got her 160,000 dollars, but what she does with that money will show everyone her true colors.

There's having your own opinion and then there's being an asshole. Creating a flash game where the only objective is to violently "beat up" Sarkeesian is being an asshole, and a big one at that.

Knight Templar

Moved on
Dec 29, 2007
I don't really agree with specific arguments she makes, but this is fucking disgusting. Questions of her being right or wrong, pointless or not, are irrelevant.
This is simply not OK.
No matter if she's the most ignorant fool in the universe or a divine saviour here to solve gamings woes, this cannot be accepted.

80Maxwell08 said:
Instig8iveJournalism?

If you feel a video is necessary to make your point you need to find a better one, because anything coming from somebody so attached to 4chan (/v/ to be more precise) and trolling will only undermine your point.

Phasmal

Sailor Jupiter Woman
Jun 10, 2011
Mylinkay Asdara said:
cynicalsaint1 said:
/facepalm

Is this really the culture that I'm supposedly a part of?
You know I really want to be proud of being a geek or whatever.
But more and more, I'm only made able to feel more ashamed of it.
This. So much this that it hurts.

Whatever the issue is anymore - and honestly, it could be this or it could be one of dozens of other issues flying around right now - I am having a harder and harder time being openly proud of being a gamer (female or otherwise) because of the behavior of a small but extremely vocal minority of people who I really must say don't deserve to call themselves a part of us. That's how I feel anyway. You don't deserve to call yourself part of the culture I am proud of if you act like a complete and total waste of oxygen and delight in causing strife and exist only to make yourselves the worst example. This isn't what I, or indeed I think we, want to be about.
Yes. Exactly that.
I was going to elaborate further on my post but then there was a massive crash of thunder so I came off the computer for a while, but now I don't have to.
You know, not too long ago people were insisting that we had moved past this and it was no longer a problem.

EDIT: Oh, and inb4 people rationalising this.

Radoh

Bans for the Ban God~
Jun 10, 2010
Holy shit.
Okay, I was not expecting this level of outrage.
Just, holy shit.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Irridium said:
John Funk said:
Of course, the great irony here is that the vicious response is not only giving Sarkeesian's cause way more publicity than it would have otherwise gotten, but does more to illustrate the problem of misogyny in nerd/gamer culture way more than a video series ever could.

Because seriously, making a videogame about beating a woman in the face for daring to express the point of view that a male-dominated industry doesn't always treat women and female characters like it should, is kind of just making her point for her.
Said it better than I could.

Seriously, why the hell are people so pissed about her making a video series showing that women aren't portrayed in the best light in games?
Duh, because she OBVIOUSLY engineered the sexist and misogynist feedback so as to increase support and get free money that people are totally not able to donate by way of their own free will, allowing her to go on holiday to Mexico (no doubt she'll go topless on the beaches just to slap anyone who looks!) without having to lift a fucking finger.

Hell, I bet she doesn't even make a video!

*shakes fist*

[sub][sub]Or, y'know, something like that.[/sub][/sub]

Conn1496

Apr 21, 2011
Fappy said:
In before "I don't want to be on this planet anymore" meme.

Seriously though. What the fuck people?
People!? This is newgrouds. 90% of "people" on Newgrounds barely know how to wipe their own arses, nevermind think logically. I do browse Newgrounds, granted, but I still know it's a galactic sized shithole most of the time.

itsthesheppy

Mar 28, 2012
FogHornG36 said:

To be fair, making videos about general tropes in pop culture is not exactly equal to an interactive game depicting and encouraging violence against a specific human being.

MarlonBlazed

Jun 9, 2011
All these beat X up flash games are poor taste and bad quality but there also common so no I wont hold your hand as we travel on the internet.

matrix3509

Sep 24, 2008
That's it, I am making it my personal mission to wipe out the entire fucking Hominid family.

Apr 28, 2008
80Maxwell08 said:
Irridium said:
John Funk said:
Of course, the great irony here is that the vicious response is not only giving Sarkeesian's cause way more publicity than it would have otherwise gotten, but does more to illustrate the problem of misogyny in nerd/gamer culture way more than a video series ever could.

Because seriously, making a videogame about beating a woman in the face for daring to express the point of view that a male-dominated industry doesn't always treat women and female characters like it should, is kind of just making her point for her.
Said it better than I could.

Seriously, why the hell are people so pissed about her making a video series showing that women aren't portrayed in the best light in games?
Because that's not why they are pissed. If you think I'm for this I'm not and truth be told I don't care for this whole thing one way or another but people do have very valid reasons to be pissed at her. Granted one of the videos I would link isn't really about her but some of the documentaries on kickstarter in general. So I'll just link the one only about her.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6gLmcS3-NI&feature=plcp

This pretty much sums a lot of it up and that's just the first part. There's also another topic in the forums here about this linking to Destructiods' article on her where the author of the article points out her ignorance on what she's talking about. The Internet's problem with her isn't she's saying women aren't represented well it's they aren't represented well to her. In the video I linked it shows where she says self confidence and self control are masculine traits so women shouldn't have confidence in themselves in the media. Also it talks about a video she took down with no reasons given which she likes Japan's decision to have women only cars for trains.

If you don't get the problem yet the point of the feminist movement was for equality for women and men not for women to be treated like special snowflakes. By it's definition she isn't a feminist regardless if she calls herself that. She doesn't care for equality she wants women to act how she thinks they should act.
I'm not wondering what the people disagreeing with her smartly problem is, I'm asking the people who are throwing around sexist and Anti-Semitic slurs and who hate her enough to make this game why they're so pissed.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Conn1496 said:
Fappy said:
In before "I don't want to be on this planet anymore" meme.

Seriously though. What the fuck people?
People!? This is newgrouds. 90% of "people" on Newgrounds barely know how to wipe their own arses, nevermind think logically. I do browse Newgrounds, granted, but I still know it's a galactic sized shithole most of the time.
This is true. Its like 4 talented content creators and thousands of 13-year old Sonichu lovers.

tetron

Dec 9, 2009
This did make me stop and say wow someone really hates this chick, I wonder why ? And thanks to 80Maxwell08 I know, and agree with, why. As for the content of the flash video I couldn't care less. It's the internet and I've seen worse.

renegade7

Feb 9, 2011
And here I thought the world could finally move past the old "Gamers are all single males with neckbeards who are afraid of women" stereotype. Guess not.