Floods in Europe

Frezzato

Oct 17, 2012
SunyiNyufi said:
Well Budapest isn't as bad as smaller places near the river...here only the embankment is flooded and the Margit Island is bit cut off, also you shouldn't take a car if you want to get around the city. So yeah, could be worse. Although that rain yesterday and the one they predict for tomorrow is certainly not helping matters at all.
I read on Google news that Budapest was in the worst danger of getting flooded tomorrow. :(
Is there anything you can do to prepare? Don't mind me, I'm paranoid from living in Hurricane country.

"The rising waters of the Danube, Europe's biggest river, were expected to reach Budapest on Monday. "
Telegraph UK [http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/hungary/10107995/Budapest-under-water-with-flooding-expected-to-reach-record-levels.html]

OneCatch

Jun 19, 2010
Ryotknife said:
wow....that water is surprisingly calm in the first picture.

Also, that retaining wall is impressive. Especially since it was likely put up at the last minute.
This was my first thought as well. They had it on the news earlier, and everyone seems to be adept at holding back or diverting entire rivers with nothing more than masking tape and sandbags.

"Yeah Dave, it'll be fine, we'll just put a big soggy inflatable balloon across, that'll sort it"

SunyiNyufi

Sep 4, 2010
FizzyIzze said:
I read on Google news that Budapest was in the worst danger of getting flooded tomorrow. :(
Is there anything you can do to prepare? Don't mind me, I'm paranoid from living in Hurricane country.
Reports say that the water level didn't rise in the last few hours, so supposedly the worst of it is over. And the city is actually built so that it is able to handle a water level of 10 meters with some diffuculties and proper preparations, which we always have this time of year (reports state water level stayed under 9 meters). The aftermath won't be pretty though: danger of infection, buildings and subway stations needing renovations, economic loss due to less tourist activity etc. But at least this time people didn't get trapped in their cars on the road for days like they did 2 month ago in the snowstorm.

Luckily I live in the furthest district from the river and on a hillside to boot... though I'm not sure I will be able to get to work tomorrow.

Kyrdra

May 19, 2013
Wadders said:
Wow, that's some impressive engineering! Pisses all over the sorry sandbags we use over here.

Not to belittle this disaster as I've heard several people ave died, but I'm finding it hard not to gloat. Europe usually gets nice sunny summers, while we in the UK get wet and gray shite for months on end.

Now, the tables have turned, as we're enjoying one of the sunniest and hottest weeks for ages! :D
Who says you cant have a flood and good weather:

FizzyIzze said:
[...]
[...]
Well we here in germany prepared in that we got everything out of the lower stories and put a lot of sandaround our houses:
Sometimes it works sometimes not.

But to be honest it isn't the first time this happened the last time is only 11 years ago and it are again the same villages. While they have done alot since then it simply wasnt enough.

Headdrivehardscrew

Aug 22, 2011
Boris Goodenough said:
Since when has the UK not been part of Europe (while humans have been alive)? o_O
You got it all backwards.

UK is the mainland.

That continent being shambled together to form the 'EU' is nothing but a glorified island. Nothing but peasants and brutes there.

Travelling used to be so much fun.

'EC citizens' and 'other subjects' - ah! Those were the days.

uchytjes

Mar 19, 2011
I'll just sit over here in the midwest, with our yearly floods.

In all seriousness, I wish that my city had retaining walls like those. Sure would help a hell of a lot come flooding season.

Wadders

Aug 16, 2008
Kyrdra said:
Wadders said:
Wow, that's some impressive engineering! Pisses all over the sorry sandbags we use over here.

Not to belittle this disaster as I've heard several people ave died, but I'm finding it hard not to gloat. Europe usually gets nice sunny summers, while we in the UK get wet and gray shite for months on end.

Now, the tables have turned, as we're enjoying one of the sunniest and hottest weeks for ages! :D
Who says you cant have a flood and good weather:
:-O Nicely done. Next time I'm thinking of heading to the beach, I'll find the nearest waterlogged roadside instead - obviously the place to be!

Nov 24, 2010
FizzyIzze said:
firmicute said:
I'm curious, did you hear any warnings through the EFAS [http://www.gripweb.org/gripweb/?q=countries-risk-information/databases-information-systems/european-flood-alert-system-efas] (European Flood Alert System) in advance? I wonder if it worked.
Well i consider myself lucky enough to not live in an area which is at risqué. i live in osnabrück. and on a hill.(think the highest here) so even if osnabrüch gets a bit water, i think i´ll be safe^^

its really strange to sit here in nice weather and to know that a few hundred kilometres away is a friggin flood.

and osnabrück is on the west side of germany (northwest)-the parts of lower saxony which get flooded are the one on the east side, where the elbe flows and the borders are to the more eastern states-saxony, brandenburg etc
i know that much people got evacuated-but some not because the water was too fast.

sadly now there are 7 people(and 3 of them while helping :/ ) which died in the floods, in chzech republick 10, and 4 missing..

these are the part which have the problems
elbe:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Elbe_Einzugsgebiet.png
the elbe got water from the vlatva-river..(duh, moldau sounds so much better^^)which flooded prague and other cities..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Vltava_River_%28CZE%29_-_location_and_watershed.svg

and there are the parts around the saale, e.g. dresden, halle etc
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/19/Karte_Saale_und_Mulde.gif

part of bavaria got wet too.. and how.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Danubemap.jpg

rhine wasn't as bad as expected..

Frezzato

Oct 17, 2012
firmicute said:
Was there any more news on the crazy people who threatened to flood parts of Germany [http://www.thelocal.de/national/20130609-50195.html]?

A very surreal photo:

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
This is Germany, people engineer their breakfasts here. Over 50% of the people in my university (and it's a university of 30 000+ people) are engineers, of course they can create miraculous barriers that don't look like they should possibly work =D

It's a bit weird hearing all this news and seeing all these people have to through all this when in the north-east of the country it's baking hot summer days and everyone is lounging around getting tans

Vicarious Reality

Jul 10, 2011
lol
The closest thing i have ever experienced to a flooding was when i was down south in malmö and it rained so much that there was a big freaking puddle outside the triangle mall entrance that was maybe a hand or foot deep

Also, once our clothesline holder blew down in what was probably the worst storm i have ever been in