Football Manager 2013 Pirated 10 Million Times

ThreeName

May 8, 2013
Steven Bogos said:
He also stated that only around 18% of people who pirated the game have played it more than five times, showing that the vast majority of pirates simply pirate a game to try it out.
Christ that's interesting. Great statistic, good article.

SweetShark

Shark Girls are my Waifus
Jan 9, 2012
Evil Smurf said:
I like how the pope is a gamer :)
Why you are doing this to me? WHY?
Every time I look at the little kitty of your Avatar, I think it speak these words with a cute little voice.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGGGhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh............*heartattack*

Mar 19, 2010
He also stated that only around 18% of people who pirated the game have played it more than five times, showing that the vast majority of pirates simply pirate a game to try it out
Or pirate it for the sake of pirating it.

james.sponge

Mar 4, 2013
Steven Bogos said:
He also stated that only around 18% of people who pirated the game have played it more than five times, showing that the vast majority of pirates simply pirate a game to try it out.
This is actually quite interesting. It would be great if companies published more statistics like that. That way we could compare them and draw some conclusions regarding the real nature of piracy not the usual "They want to steal from us! We need to introduce consumer unfriendly software that will constantly monitor player activity and will allow us to have total control over their entertainment!"

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
SweetShark said:
Evil Smurf said:
Every time I look at the little kitty of your Avatar, I think it speak these words with a cute little voice.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGGGhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh............*heartattack*
look into my avatar, look at the pink paws and the fluffy fur.

You are now under the control of Evil Smurf. When I click my fingers you will fall out of the trance.

I've really got this avatar thing down to a science, init.

The Artificially Prolonged

Random Semi-Frequent Poster
Jul 15, 2008
I guess this data does add support to the idea that hardcore pirates will pirate games regardless what you do to protect IP. I'd like to know how they got the 1.74% figure, although I doubt we'll see more in depth data from this. Good job devs, a really inventive way of getting some tangible data on piracy rates.

Vegosiux

May 18, 2011
romxxii said:
Reed Spacer said:
Hey, I run under the personal credo 'Never buy what you can borrow; never borrow what you can steal', so...
So does that mean if someone successfully steals your pants, you won't be pissed? Cool.
Making a 75-yard run to win the goddamn Super Bowl with two teams playing against you is peanuts compared to what it takes to steal my pants, sir! Pants security is serious business. Just ask this guy. [http://images.fanpop.com/images/image_uploads/The-Red-Guy-i-am-weasel-477967_269_225.jpg]

An interesting turn to research into this, though.I wonder, though, did they release the crack incognito, or did they go "Hey, and here's a crack for those of you who don't wanna pay for it"?

Also, one illegal download from Vatican. *snicker* That made me giggle like a giddy schoolgirl. Then again, calcio is serious business in Italy.

LordMonty

Badgerlord
Jul 2, 2008
Its kind of intresting to say the least, be nice to get more open discussions like this from games componies and also ones this open minded and fairly positive about it.

Skeleon

Nov 2, 2007
Interesting statistics. Also, nice of them not to go after people or to infer from this that they "lost 10 million sales" or something some ridiculous people have claimed in the past. Still, I'm surprised. I didn't know there was such an interest in football manager games. I never gave a rat's ass about them and I actually like watching the game itself sometimes, at least the bigger events.

PuckFuppet

Entroducing.
Jan 10, 2009
Probably the most interesting and useful gathering of statistics on piracy... I've ever seen.

SweetShark

Shark Girls are my Waifus
Jan 9, 2012
Evil Smurf said:
SweetShark said:
Evil Smurf said:

look into my avatar, look at the pink paws and the fluffy fur.

You are now under the control of Evil Smurf. When I click my fingers you will fall out of the trance.

I've really got this avatar thing down to a science, init.
*still dead by yhe heartattack*

Andrew_C

Mar 1, 2011
The Artificially Prolonged said:
I guess this data does add support to the idea that hardcore pirates will pirate games regardless what you do to protect IP. I'd like to know how they got the 1.74% figure, although I doubt we'll see more in depth data from this. Good job devs, a really inventive way of getting some tangible data on piracy rates.
The article does note that they noticed a decreased rate of activations after the crack was released. I'm guessing that's where that number originates.

The original article on vg247 notes that that's 174,000 potential sales which would have netted them up to $3.7 million.

EmilShmiengura

Feb 17, 2009
He also stated that only around 18% of people who pirated the game have played it more than five times, showing that the vast majority of pirates simply pirate a game to try it out. - PR chaff

romxxii

Feb 18, 2010
Vegosiux said:
Making a 75-yard run to win the goddamn Super Bowl with two teams playing against you is peanuts compared to what it takes to steal my pants, sir! Pants security is serious business. Just ask this guy. [http://images.fanpop.com/images/image_uploads/The-Red-Guy-i-am-weasel-477967_269_225.jpg]
Ah, but the thesis wasn't difficulty level of the trouser theft, but any resulting actions and/or retribution from successful purloining of the pants in question. So, in a hypothetical world where a dashing khaki kleptomaniac manages to evade detection in knicking your knickers, would you be angry?

An interesting turn to research into this, though.I wonder, though, did they release the crack incognito, or did they go "Hey, and here's a crack for those of you who don't wanna pay for it"?
The former, is my guess.

Also, one illegal download from Vatican. *snicker* That made me giggle like a giddy schoolgirl. Then again, calcio is serious business in Italy.
Isn't there like a Vatican mafia that deals in choirboy trafficking or something? Perhaps one of their members did the dirty deed?

JarinArenos

Jan 31, 2012
What insanity is this? A developer taking a sane outlook on a large piracy report? An actual proper analysis instead of knee-jerking and citing 10.1m*$60 as lost revenue? WHEN DID I SLIP INTO AN ALTERNATE REALITY? IS THE MOON ACTUALLY MADE OF CHEESE HERE?!

Kahani

May 25, 2011
Steven Bogos said:
The trouble with that argument is that it kind of falls down for games that have a comprehensive demo available for free. In this case, the demo is the full game with no restrictions, but you only get to play for 6 months in-game time. That certainly gives you plenty of opportunity to try things out and decide if you like it, and I very much doubt anyone playing it less than five times will get anywhere near that far in the first place, so there's really no justification for pirating it at all. I struggle to condemn people for wanting to try something out when the developer/publisher makes it impossible to do so legally, but in this case there really is no excuse. Far from wanting to try out a game to see if they liked it, they simply wanted a free game and happened not to like it.

Griffolion

Elite Member
Aug 18, 2009
If only game companies could offer a very stripped down, free version of their game that offers a limited vertical slice of functionality as a means to demonstrate to potential buyers what the game is all about.

I think I've stepped on something totally new here.

*Some research later*

Oh, they have a demo out. THIS MAKES NO SENSE, JUST USE THE DEMO.

Yozozo

In a galaxy far, far away...
Mar 28, 2009
Maybe we've become so accustomed to NOT having comprehensive demos (if a demo AT ALL) that people pirated it to still try it out? That's all I can think of.