Football: Transfer deadline day

Nightly Rabi

Aug 3, 2012
Well as many who follow football (soccer) will likely know, today is the transfer deadline day for the majority of Europe. Couldn't see a thread related to it so figured I'd post one myself.
So, happy with who your team has signed etc?

As for my two cents I'm hearing reports that Celtic are in for a nigerian centre back. Can't say I know too much about him, but I do feel we need a consistent centre back to pair with Mulgrew. Though another striker would be nice too...
Other than that in Scotland signings seem to be all too few.

Fulham meanwhile have snapped up Berbatov... Never seen that one coming, but fairly excited at the prospect.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
Dundee United fan here, so I'm just wanting the damn thing to close without anyone getting Johnny Russell or Gary Mackay Steven. Then I'll be a happy chappy.

And yeah, Scotland is pretty quiet, since only Celtic really have any money. I do enjoy watching to see what happens down south though. Always manic down there. And there's always surprises as well, like Berbatov moving to Fulham.

Nightly Rabi

Aug 3, 2012
Andy Shandy said:
Dundee United fan here, so I'm just wanting the damn thing to close without anyone getting Johnny Russell or Gary Mackay Steven. Then I'll be a happy chappy.

And yeah, Scotland is pretty quiet, since only Celtic really have any money. I do enjoy watching to see what happens down south though. Always manic down there. And there's always surprises as well, like Berbatov moving to Fulham.
Not heard too much concrete information on them leaving. Could get lucky. There hasn't really been too much excitement from down South either at least so far and with the exception of Berbatov. Though I can't imagine Dempsey will still be at Fulham come the end of the window. As much as I would like him to be...

Captcha: sweet dreams... yes, I know captcha, I know.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
Nightly Rabi said:
Andy Shandy said:

Not heard too much concrete information on them leaving. Could get lucky. There hasn't really been too much excitement from down South either at least so far and with the exception of Berbatov. Though I can't imagine Dempsey will still be at Fulham come the end of the window. As much as I would like him to be...

I know that Huddersfield made a bid of £1.25m for the pair, but they were told swiftly where to go shove that bid.

I think it'll properly kick off in England about 8ish as everyone rushes about like mad. Here's hoping anyway (just not Russell or GMS!)

Nightly Rabi

Aug 3, 2012
Andy Shandy said:
Nightly Rabi said:
Andy Shandy said:

I know that Huddersfield made a bid of £1.25m for the pair, but they were told swiftly where to go shove that bid.

I think it'll properly kick off in England about 8ish as everyone rushes about like mad. Here's hoping anyway (just not Russell or GMS!)
Well hopefully they stay, I'd rather see them stay in Scotland.
Yeh, things normally kick off towards the end. Swansea and Everton are looking pretty formidable at the moment, they've both done well with their signings it seems.

Total LOLige

Jul 17, 2009
Well I'm glad that the Jenas to Sunderland deal is off he is utter shite. I'm hoping we sign another left back and centre back, even another striker would be nice. I'm sad to see El Mohamady go out on loan to Hull.

Nightly Rabi

Aug 3, 2012
Total LOLige said:
Well I'm glad that the Jenas to Sunderland deal is off he is utter shite. I'm hoping we sign another left back and centre back, even another striker would be nice. I'm sad to see El Mohamady go out on loan to Hull.
I've heard very little on Sunderland so far. Though Adam Johnson seems like a decent signing.

Spaghetti

Goes Well With Pesto
Sep 2, 2009
Hearts fan here. I'm less concerned about players coming in than I am about players going out. I'm glad Ryan McGowan has chosen to stay, but I'm waiting in trepidation to see if Templeton gets sold to (The) Rangers, though whether they can afford him is another question...

Unrelated to the SPL, I'm surprised at Berbatov going to Fulham, it'll be interesting to see what he can achieve for them.

Nightly Rabi

Aug 3, 2012
Spaghetti said:
Hearts fan here. I'm less concerned about players coming in than I am about players going out. I'm glad Ryan McGowan has chosen to stay, but I'm waiting in trepidation to see if Templeton gets sold to (The) Rangers, though whether they can afford him is another question...

Unrelated to the SPL, I'm surprised at Berbatov going to Fulham, it'll be interesting to see what he can achieve for them.
Personally I think he'd be a complete idiot to move to Rangers.
Berbatov's move does seem to be the shock of the window so far.

Catfood220

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 21, 2010
Well, it seems that Aston Villa have finally decided to buy some strikers at last to support Darren Bent. Not sure if they are any good, but Paul Lambert seems to know what he's doing. Though why we put a bid in for Clint Dempsey I have no idea, we had no chance of getting him. It did take a long time for him to turn us down though, he must have been laughing really hard at that one. But at the moment, he seems to be stuck at Fulham because Liverpool won't pay what they are asking.

Nightly Rabi

Aug 3, 2012
Catfood220 said:
Well, it seems that Aston Villa have finally decided to buy some strikers at last to support Darren Bent. Not sure if they are any good, but Paul Lambert seems to know what he's doing. Though why we put a bid in for Clint Dempsey I have no idea, we had no chance of getting him. It did take a long time for him to turn us down though, he must have been laughing really hard at that one. But at the moment, he seems to be stuck at Fulham because Liverpool won't pay what they are asking.
Seems quite a few teams could do with a striker at the moment. Villa look pretty poor just now, but I imagine Lambert will steady the ship sooner or later.

As for Dempsey, I can't see him still being at Fulham come tomorrow.

Nightly Rabi

Aug 3, 2012
SmashLovesTitanQuest said:
Berbatov will go beastmode at Fulham, I can feel it coming. If his performances there are lacklustre I'll start doubting my football related gut feelings, something I've never had to do before.

Also, Martinez. Oh man. Let us hope the Bayern management know what they are doing.
Can't really see him being anything other than a success. But you never know I guess.
As for Martinez, seems like a decent enough signing to me.

n00dle37

Aug 29, 2011
As an Arsenal fan, I can only hope Wenger gets someone new. We don't exactly look champions league material at the moment.

SmashLovesTitanQuest said:
Berbatov will go beastmode at Fulham, I can feel it coming. If his performances there are lacklustre I'll start doubting my football related gut feelings, something I've never had to do before.

Also, Martinez. Oh man. Let us hope the Bayern management know what they are doing.
Didn't Martinez agree for lower wages to speed up the transfer? It looks like Bayern got an all right deal considering how young and talented the guy is (seriously young players cost a fortune no matter what you do.)

SckizoBoy

Ineptly Chaotic
Legacy
Jan 6, 2011
A Hermit's Cave
Nightly Rabi said:
Yep... just had his Tottenham medical...

Dembele's gone as well... though I think we signed Richardson from Sunderland, even though he rather fell off the radar during the last couple seasons.

SckizoBoy

Ineptly Chaotic
Legacy
Jan 6, 2011
A Hermit's Cave
Catfood220 said:
Have you guys got anyone? 'Cos all I've heard is Charlie Adam-Stoke and Andy Carroll-West Ham... and someone else going on loan as well (Jay Spearing, is it?)

Aris Khandr

Oct 6, 2010
n00dle37 said:
As an Arsenal fan, I can only hope Wenger gets someone new. We don't exactly look champions league material at the moment.
Even when we do, we have this amazing ability to find ways to not play up to the level we should anyway.

Nightly Rabi

Aug 3, 2012
SckizoBoy said:
Nightly Rabi said:
Yep... just had his Tottenham medical...

Dembele's gone as well... though I think we signed Richardson from Sunderland, even though he rather fell off the radar during the last couple seasons.
Yeah, though signing Berbatov certainly takes away the sting of losing Dempsey. That and Dempsey seems to have been a bit of a dick through the whole transfer ordeal.

Nightly Rabi

Aug 3, 2012
SckizoBoy said:
Catfood220 said:
Have you guys got anyone? 'Cos all I've heard is Charlie Adam-Stoke and Andy Carroll-West Ham... and someone else going on loan as well (Jay Spearing, is it?)
They've just signed Christian Benteke from Genk. And eh... someone else, from Crewe I think.

SckizoBoy

Ineptly Chaotic
Legacy
Jan 6, 2011
A Hermit's Cave
Nightly Rabi said:
Yeah, though signing Berbatov certainly takes away the sting of losing Dempsey. That and Dempsey seems to have been a bit of a dick through the whole transfer ordeal.
That's true, but judging from opening day, hopefully we won't miss him that much. Kacaniklic looks like a pretty nifty player (to the extent of the commentator, Roger Johnson, I think it was..., going "Clint who?!").

Actually, I was surprised to learn that he was linked to Aston Villa earlier this afternoon, thinking why Villa?! It's hardly a step up from Fulham. Still, didn't manage to agree personal terms.

Anyway, bit of good news, Chelsea aren't looking that hot any more: 4-1 in the European Supercup, if that even means anything... *shrug* for all I like diMatteo.