For all you computer savvy individuals familiar with the "hosts" file

Hatter

Dec 12, 2010
I'm trying to block a website, I've done so succesfully with various simple websites but this one doesn't seem to be working and here's why I believe it's being a pain. (keep in mind I hardly know what I'm talking about)

Normally a website will just go to the place that you type into the address bar or that a link designates. However, when I type the address into the address bar, it redirects me to the same address, but a more specific place within the website. In other words, there is extra crap at the end of it. (ex. I type in www.randomwebsite.com, and it brings me to https://randomwebsite.com/general/blah_blah/b%10-userwhatever).

Now, if I take that new address and try to block it in the "hosts" file, nothing happens.

Am I being stupid? Anyone have any ideas?

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Well in theory it should work for the entire address if you put in "127.0.0.1 randomwebsite.com" and "127.0.0.1 www.randomwebsite.com", note that the spelling must be dead on

But they could be redirecting you through randomly named sites to avoid such systems, maybe try doing it through your browser or firewall, those usually have more options on such things.
Could you provide the exact address so we can test it on our own?