For Honor base down 93% in only 3 months

babinro

Sep 24, 2010
Hopefully this leads to positive changes.

Overwatch seems to be an example of success in this game genre and yet I still haven't bought that one out of the same perception and concerns I had with For Honor.

There's always a chance you'll get into those games but its just as likely the online experience will feel too samey in a bad way and just collect dust. Its RARE I'll get into a multiplayer game so these games just represent far too much risk for the asking price.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Hey it had single player...oh wait, you said REAL single player, yeah, you're spot on there.

It was fun at first, but then it got really frustrating.

Whitbane

Apathetic...
Mar 7, 2012
Great combat system marred by late patches, and a complete lack of content. They built an okay core, and that's all they had. Not enough armor, not enough characters, not enough modes, not enough maps.

And the Peer to Peer servers are fucking awful. The fact they couldn't even support some official servers shows exactly what this game was. A half-assed, half-developed rushed piece of mediocre garbage that they hoped would sell enough on release to cover their budget so they wouldn't have to do any support in the future.

Fuck Ubisoft.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
It was kind of obvious that it would end up that way too. I fully expect every Ubisoft multiplayer title to suffer similar fate (I'm actually astonished that Rainbow Six: Siege is still alive). Didn't something similar happen with The Division? And then they made Wildlands, which will probably end up dead in a few months as well. People can't seem to get it through their heads that Ubisoft is nothing but one giant hype machine without any actual substance. They are not to be trusted, and you should never give them your money on launch day. Wait a few months at least.

Jan 19, 2016
Adam Jensen said:
It was kind of obvious that it would end up that way too. I fully expect every Ubisoft multiplayer title to suffer similar fate (I'm actually astonished that Rainbow Six: Siege is still alive). Didn't something similar happen with The Division? And then they made Wildlands, which will probably end up dead in a few months as well. People can't seem to get it through their heads that Ubisoft is nothing but one giant hype machine without any actual substance. They are not to be trusted, and you should never give them your money on launch day. Wait a few months at least.
Seige seems to be the one exception in all of this. From what I understand, it's actually grown and improved since launch, and gained more players. It's the only Ubi game of the current lot to have any legs.

ksn0va

Jun 9, 2008
It was a fighting game. Should've emphasized duels instead of that crappy 4v4 hybrid mode.

Choppaduel

Mar 20, 2009
Silentpony said:
...I'm happy when poorly conceived concepts fail.
I'll be happy when Ubisoft actually goes down for good. I'm amazed they can survive with this development and business model.
They haven't come out with a fresh, enjoyable game since 2003 (Beyond Good and Evil and Prince of Persia)

EDIT: forgot about Blood Dragon, which was enjoyable thematically but certainly not fresh in terms of mechanics.

ksn0va

Jun 9, 2008
Silentpony said:
I'm happy when poorly conceived concepts fail.
It's more a poorly executed concept. At it's heart it was an innovative idea. The duels really showcase that. But since everything surrounding the game catered to Dominion, it distracted from what the game really was.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Choppaduel said:
Silentpony said:
...I'm happy when poorly conceived concepts fail.
I'll be happy when Ubisoft actually goes down for good. I'm amazed they can survive with this development and business model.
They haven't come out with a fresh, enjoyable game since 2003 (Beyond Good and Evil and Prince of Persia)

EDIT: forgot about Blood Dragon, which was enjoyable thematically but certainly not fresh in terms of mechanics.
That explains why I could not get into Blood Dragon. Honestly, I don't even want Ubisuck to do another Prince of Persia in fear that they're going to screw it up. Also, has anyone else noticed there has not been a new Splinter Cell since Blacklist? I am not in to stealth, but it's something I now noticed.

Paragon Fury

The Loud Shadow
Jan 23, 2009
So many people dumping on Ubisoft in here, for some reason.

Considering Ubisoft has been one of the better developers over these last two generations. They've had a ridiculous amount of great games including but not limited to games that even this website loves - Assassin's Creed II, Far Cry 2 & 4, Splinter Cell: Blacklist, Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfare etc.

Then they've had a few HUGE successes that basically everyone loved including Black Flag, Blood Dragon and Rainbow Six: Siege.

They had mostly decent games in the mix too, with Watch Dogs, Ghost Recon: Future Soldier & Wildlands, Assassin's Creed III etc.

And of course, they've had a few sinkers too - notably Far Cry Primal, Splinter Cell: Convictions, The Division and now For Honor.

Though in truth, FH is a case of "great idea, bad execution" and The Division has actually substantially improved, but of course this didn't save it from the blows it suffered at launch.

bastardofmelbourne

Dec 11, 2012
Shame. I put off buying it because of the launch issues, and now it seems like the community's dead around about the time they would've fixed the bugs and dropped the price.

Paragon Fury said:
Ubisoft suffered from being a studio with some neat ideas that suddenly had to compete at the AAA level and resorted to pumping out franchise installments every year like sausages. They don't take the time to polish a concept anymore, and when they do it gets crippled by bugs and microtransaction bullshit like For Honor was.

That, and Uplay. Uplay is atrocious. I tried to boot it up a year or so ago and play From Dust, and it didn't recognise that I had bought the game. Kept telling me my license had expired. (?)

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
What an incredibly rotten shame. There's a game that deserved much better than it got. Ubisoft is just a goddamn vampire at this point, taking great concept and sucking them dry before moving on to the next. I really enjoyed For Honor when I tried it out but with all the microtransaction bullshit and connection problem I saw this coming a mile away, so I never actually bought it. Self-fulling prophesy that is. But what can I say, money and time are scarce so I'm careful about what I invest in.
Paragon Fury said:
Because their business practices kind of suck.

gsilver

Apr 21, 2010
Country
USA
And I got the game at launch because it was bundled with a video card, but never got around to playing it...

Well, at least the bots are supposedly pretty good.

Dreiko_v1legacy

Aug 28, 2008
I'll just sit in my corner and play my niche fighting games and be happy, I heard a lot about this game but it seemed kinda basic and a way of making fighting games fun for non fighting game players but when you do that you remove all the depth that keeps people practicing and striving to improve for years on end.

BabySinclair

Apr 15, 2009
I got into the Beta and that convinced me to not buy the game. I loved the combat system, it's one of the best melee combat systems in any game that I've played but in my first match the game stuttered multiple times as the hosting player left and the game had to bounce to someone else. The complete lack of a dedicated server and the associated issues made it a no go.

Mad World

Legacy
Sep 18, 2009
Country
Canada
Paragon Fury said:
It's Ubisoft; that's why. Look at how much controversy revolves around them. If they're not the most immoral publisher (probably would go to EA, who literally wins an award regularly for being the worst company), they're a close second. For example: the Watch Dogs controversy. If you're not aware, they clearly went out of their way to purposefully make the PC version of the game look worse (most likely in an attempt not to have it outdo the console version) than the console version.