For Life is Strange and full of spoilers.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Played Life is Strange.

Not sure if I liked it. Really liked parts of it. Definitely wanted to like it.

I shall now blurt out semi-coherent and generally critical thoughts on the game. Behold.

I feel the school setting was a mistake. You can feel the game's gears grinding practically every time Max sets foot on campus and then everything livens up again as soon as she goes somewhere else.

The dialogue isn't quite there. The initial attempts to affect teenager idioms were a bit painful albeit consistently amusing. Luckily the writer(s) managed to get that in order after the first episode. However a less obvious but longer lasting problem is that many characters, Max in particular, are a bit too earnest and open, even in situations where no real person would be. This is fine in conversations between Max and Chloe since it's believable that two teenage best friends would be like that with one another, and might well be why those exchanges are often the best in the game, but it makes many other conversations feel just a bit forced and unreal.

I really like the little thoughts and responses Max has when you look at random crap. Might just be the best part of her character actually. Takes her from vanilla do-gooder protagonist to a sweet, likable and relatable kid.

The Jefferson twist needed more foreshadowing. Maybe it was there and I missed it, but it felt like a twist for the sake of having a twist rather than a clever reveal.

Speaking of which... really? That's what we're going with? Crazed artist? I mean... okay, it could be worse, but really? Not to mention I'm pretty damn sure he could have found models daring enough to willingly let him photograph them while drugged. Put some ads out man. Organize a chaperone and have a medic on standby. Seems like a lot less trouble than conning a rich kid into building you a bunker and resorting to kidnapping. And you'd be able to display the photos afterward.

There's no explanation for how or why Max gets the ability to manipulate time. None at all. Not even a vague hint. She just... does. I suppose no explanation is better than it turning out to be fucking Indian spirit magic or whatnot, but come on, give us something!

Whenever Max rewinds the world rewinds around her while she stays put. It's even a game mechanic since she can use it to kind of "teleport". (Nobody ever noticed her blinking around apparently.) So why when she does it the very first time does it return her to the classroom? Shouldn't she still be standing in the bathroom? Plot hooole!

There's also no explanation for how mucking around with time would cause a giant fricken hurricane to show up. (Or cause snow out of season. Or cause birds to die. Or whales to beach themselves. Or make a second moon appear.) I get that it's a reference to that chaos theory thing about a butterfly's flapping causing a hurricane, but that isn't enough to support a major bloody plot point. No connection is ever made. Max just kinda up and decides that her shenanigans are responsible for the hurricane.

Then there was the ending. Or rather then endings. Oh, the endings.

I chose to save Chloe. Because save the ones you love and the greater good can go fuck itself. Except she wanted Max to let her die in exchange for everyone else, it was her idea. Poignant as fuck. Awesome. I've wanted to see a choice like this in a game since the pre-release buzz of ME3. Except then when I chose to let the town get blown away she's suddenly fine with it. Not a word of protest. Then they just drive away. Straight past the diner where Chloe's mother was. Don't you want to stop Chloe, check if she's okay? No? Your mum could be injured in there. Her dead body could be in there. You don't want to check? No? Just drive past? Okay. That makes total sense.

There's no epilogue or anything. Is everybody dead? Did some people survive? Nope, no idea. Will the universe keep trying to kill Chloe, as is kind of implied to be happening? Will Max cause more poorly explained disasters if she keeps hitting the rewind button? Who knows. Cut to credits. Fuck closure.

So I Youtube'd the other ending. It certainly felt more complete. Felt like this is the one the writer(s) intended and then they just tacked on the other one for the sake of having a final choice. It did a good job of really nailing home a sense of loss. However, it also rendered the entire story basically non-existent. Now it's all just memories in Max's head. It might as well have all been a dream. Kinda unfulfilling. Plus it means Chloe died alone, angry and miserable without ever seeing her friend again or learning what happened to Rachel.

Would have worked better if the Sacrifice Chloe ending was the only ending. Just have her insist and Max eventally agree. Still wouldn't have been that great of an ending.

The journey undeniably had its moments, but the destination was something of a disappointment.

Kingjackl

Nov 18, 2009
These mostly echo my thoughts on the game. I personally think episodes 3 & 4 were the strongest, as they made the best use of the time travel mechanics, shed a lot of the early awkwardness of the first two episodes and really dug into the mystery plot. I will say that while agree Jefferson was mishandled in episode 5, the reveal at the end of 4 was probably my biggest gut-punch moment in gaming this year.

I got the sacrifice Chloe ending and I found even that to be a bit lacking in closure. It was certainly stronger than the other ending, which felt rushed, but the lack of dialogue in the final scene made things a bit unclear. I wish there had been some sort of Dragon Age-style playable epilogue where you got to talk to all the characters and see how your decision may have changed things. For example, Kate was shown to be alive in that ending even though Max was only able to save her in the original timeline with her powers. It would have been nice to get a word in with her at the end and find out how she was doing. Same with David and Joyce; there was quite a bit of missed potential there.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
So after the embarrassing first episode it gets better, but it never really good. Good to know. I played the demo and the dialoge made me wanna scratch out my brain.

Kingjackl

Nov 18, 2009
Casual Shinji said:
So after the embarrassing first episode it gets better, but it never really good. Good to know. I played the demo and the dialoge made me wanna scratch out my brain.
Hey, the first episode was so bad it's good in my mind. But yeah, it definitely improves. Two is a bit rocky in the middle but otherwise okay, 3 & 4 are fantastic and 5 has some strong moments, even if the conclusion was unsatisfactory.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Casual Shinji said:
So after the embarrassing first episode it gets better, but it never really good.
Oh, it gets really good from time to time. It just never quite manages to stay there.

I'd say it's worth checking out for people who don't mind that kind of story-heavy, gameplay-lite style of game.

I played the demo and the dialoge made me wanna scratch out my brain.
For that I cannot blame you. That first episode dialogue was in a league all of its own.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Zhukov said:
Casual Shinji said:
So after the embarrassing first episode it gets better, but it never really good.
Oh, it gets really good from time to time. It just never quite manages to stay there.

I'd say it's worth checking out for people who don't mind that kind of story-heavy, gameplay-lite style of game.
If it ever gets a physical release I might check out the full game.

Ishigami

Sep 1, 2011
I enjoyed the episodes but the ending kind of fucked it up.
Anyone seen the movie "Butterfly Effect"?
It is basically the same as the game down to its conclusion...

I original had two save files. One where I played sticking to the rules and one in which Max was a bad girl. I wanted to see what would happen.
However ultimately I didn't complete the game twice since I saw no point in doing it.
Only one choice really matters: Save Chloe or the city.
That's it.
Since saving the city meant you actually didn't play, I saved Chloe.

I watched the other ending too and yes it felt way more complete than saving Chloe but fuck that.

Seriously anyone played Blade Runner? That game has 13 (!) different endings. (Granted a few with different variations)
An adventure from 1997 and Dontnod wasn't even able to get something out that considered any previous choice in a game from 2015... so disappointing.

The travel experience was nice but fuck those endings.

OH and BTW:

Most players are horrible human beings!

Why the fuck does the majority tell Kate to not go to the police?
Yea keep complaining that rape cases are unsolved while telling friends to stfu... great job! - Morons.

Pissed me off to see that statistic.

mysecondlife

Feb 24, 2011
I finished Life is Strange last week. I don't have much to add but the resolution to 'not save Chloe' from Nathan at women's restroom seems to send a really shitty message. "When you have the power to save someone, just don't because of the poorly explained catastrophe." :/

So, I think I liked it for it had some strong moments... I'm not really sure.

fenrizz

Feb 7, 2009
Ishigami said:
OH and BTW:

Yea keep complaining that rape cases are unsolved while telling friends to stfu... great job! - Morons.

Well... What the dialogue option indicated (as I saw it) was telling her to wait so Max could gather some evidence.
Not quite that same thing.

But I was tempted to reload my save once I was how it played out.

OT:
I loved Life is Strange.
it has flaws, but I'm not one to let that get in the way of what I though was a brilliant little game, with lots of soul and character.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Ishigami said:
OH and BTW:

a) She wasn't raped.

b) It's made clear that the Prescott's basically own the local police force. Going to them with zero evidence likely wouldn't end well.

anthony87

Aug 13, 2009
Casual Shinji said:
I dunno man, I wouldn't say it was hella bad but that's really your binniss I suppose.

.......Sorry.

T.D.

Feb 9, 2011
This is how I interpreted the game.

Max got her powers simply because, as she was at the beginning, she couldn't help anyone. Ever. She was too passive, and too insecure. This is made obvious when she lets Chloe die in the first place, and is enforced in gameplay by players rewinding time to choose the best conversation options. This fits in perfectly with how Max starts.

However, over the course of the game Chloe influences her to be much more proactive, while her powers give her the safety net to try new things. By the end of the game she is a much stronger character, because of both of these.

However this development isn't acknowledged in either endings. It is essentially a choice between becoming Chloe and becoming Episode 1 Max. The ending needed a third option to address this, which I think would've been the best.

Go back in time, and talk Nathan into going to the police, without using time manipulation.

So not only does this serve as a "final boss" (which losing would give another ending where you take Chloe's place as "victim"), it allows Max to be a badass without her powers, saves Chloe, but allows Jefferson and Nathan to be caught. Finally, since this reverse cancels out the need for Max to have powers she wouldn't get/use them, and hence no disasters.

This may come across as a saccharine ending, but the other endings bother me thematically. Aside from Max's character arc, the game seems to be saying that time travel should NEVER be used, unless you want to destroy everything. Or alternatively you shouldn't defy fate. I mean imagine if you applied that same argument to Superman and his powers.

Personally, I prefer don't abuse time travel/power (for obvious reasons).

pookie101

Jul 5, 2015
been a gamer for over 3 decades and its now my favourite game ever. great story telling for me with likable characters even if it did have some issues.

personally i liked not finding out why max developed the abilities, good to have some mystery left at the end

as for the ending i chose to save chloe and when they were driving away it honestly looked like they were still partially in shock. although a better ending i guess still would of been max in the bathroom at the start, freezing time, sharing a kiss with chloe and taking the bullet for her

Catfood220

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 21, 2010
Zhukov said:
There's no explanation for how or why Max gets the ability to manipulate time. None at all. Not even a vague hint. She just... does. I suppose no explanation is better than it turning out to be fucking Indian spirit magic or whatnot, but come on, give us something!
I agree with that, there is a newspaper in one of the episodes that says that the Native Americans are upset with the Prescotts building on their land. And I actually went "really, you are going to go with that?" Thankfully they didn't. But if they had, you probably would have heard the booing from wherever you are.

If there is a sequel (and there probably will be) then we might get an explanation.

Also, you said there was no foreshadowing for the Jefferson twist, in the first episode doesn't he foreshadow it by saying something like "I could capture you in a moment of pure fear" or words to that effect and the final episode then rams that down your throat as if to say "see, it was him, he told you he was the bad guy, see see". Mind you, I kind of thought there was something off about him before the twist. The special attention he paid to Max was something more than a teacher taking an interest in their student.

Casual Shinji said:
If it ever gets a physical release I might check out the full game.
Amazon has it down for a January 22nd physical release.

Ishigami said:
OH and BTW:

Maybe many people like myself were going along with the laws of drama that the game was following. Kate had no proof that she was raped or that anything horrible had happened to her other than a video of her being out of it and acting kind of slutty at a party. I went with my thought that if she went to the Police with that and only that, then they wouldn't believe her and that would upset her more. I thought the best option was to have Max look into it a bit more before going to the Police.

This does not reflect my or many other peoples real life thinking. Rest assured that if a friend had told me that they had been raped, I would tell them to go to the Police. You really can't judge people by the statistics of a video game.

Ishigami

Sep 1, 2011
Zhukov said:
a) She wasn't raped.
She was drugged, had no memories and was not directly taken home by Nathan.
Sure thing you knew (!) without any doubt that she was not sexually abused at the time.
There was no chance at all that this was one possibility.
Of course she was at a dark room being photographed by psychopath... I mean obviously pfff...

So yea forget about getting a rape kit and drug test at a police station.
I agree.

Zhukov said:
b) It's made clear that the Prescott's basically own the local police force. Going to them with zero evidence likely wouldn't end well.
The only way the police gets any evidence is by going to them.
And not a few days later after several showers destroyed any evidence on the body.
Only after the police knows something took place they can get an investigating going.
Even if no rape took place the investigation would have put pressure on Nathan and Jefferson and might have put the police on the right in the case of the missing Rachel.
Last but not least is even the intoxication a crime.

An 18 year old student is obviously better suited to make an investigation than a police officer.

DEAD34345

Aug 18, 2010
I have to agree with basically everyone else that the ending was just shit. The whole game had its ups and downs, and overall I enjoyed it, but that ending was so bad I literally laughed through it in disbelief. I chose the "Save Chloe" ending, but by that point I had just stopped taking it seriously, so I basically just thought "Fuck it, why not? Everyone dies.". Apparently the protagonists had given up on the story too, as they really didn't even seem arsed, they just drove past the rubble and corpses of everyone they had ever known and onwards to a nice vacation, or to fuck around with time powers or something I guess.

Ishigami said:
OH and BTW:

I think (or at least I hope for the sake of my faith in humanity) that people were just being meta in their decision making. In real life going to the police would obviously be the best course of action, but because this is a game and has to be dramatic and stuff going to the police was definitely going to end badly. I knew it wasn't going to work, so I thought about telling her not to bother myself, but I would never even consider that in real life.

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
Zhukov said:
The Jefferson twist needed more foreshadowing. Maybe it was there and I missed it, but it felt like a twist for the sake of having a twist rather than a clever reveal.
Jefferson was foreshadowed, right from his "I could catch you a moment of weakness" speech, delivered directly to the young girls in the classroom. All his art shows women in various states of sexual vulnerability. Some art student was talking about the composition of the shots and how they were all putting the photographer in a position of power/threat. It was a really well done "JEFFERSON IS THE BAD GUY" prediction that was released around Episode 2.

Zhukov said:
Speaking of which... really? That's what we're going with? Crazed artist?
Sexual sadist who is slowly escalating. Basically an emerging serial killer. The conceit of the game appears to be that Max's power is intended to stop Jefferson, not save Chloe. Saving Chloe when Chloe is more or less predestined to die is what keeps destabilizing reality. It's what makes the "Save Chloe" ending doubly confusing and dissatisfying from a narrative perspective. There really should've just been the one ending, but then everyone would have moaned about choices.

I think there's a genuinely meaningful conversation to be had about narrative-focused games and whether or not "choices" inevitably damage and degrade said narrative. Imagine if Walking Dead had an ending where...

Lee lived, like if you talked to everyone just right or something

...is that "better"? Would it improve the game, given that the game derived 95% of its appeal from the power of its narrative? I'm not sure it would. Yet it's repeatedly put forth in conversations about these games that "lots of choices" is their ideal state.

Redryhno

Jul 25, 2011
I am still stunned by people not calling Jefferson out as a villain of some sort at the start of the game...I mean c'mon, the guy started out with a Dead Poet's Society-esque(at least that's what I was reminded of) speech followed by his "moment" paragraph and then did nothing but make fun of himself and push his "special" student, that's classic evil teacher 101. Especially since pretty much nobody else at the school that was an adult really got any screentime at all. He was either going to be the reason Max got her powers, or a villain. Quite possibly both.

But other than that, I will continue to praise the game for somewhat keeping the time travel an integral part of both gameplay and narrative(even if there's gigantic plot holes despite that).

But other than that, I have literally no interest in Chloe. She is not an interesting character beyond her dyed hair(though I suppose that fits with the stereotype she embodies), and is incredibly self-centered(not completely unwarranted, but still) and has pretty much no intelligent thoughts except when the plot demands it, though at least she pleads with Max to let her die at the end, even with like 60% of the playerbase, she lives for a few hundred lives(totally not a bad trade /s). Max is okay, a bit annoying and hipster(even for a teenager) but she at least has a good heart.

Also, just....the bunker in general, so many fucking problems with it with characters alone. How much can someone fuck up against a mad artist? And just that ending is a piece of horseshit...typical time travel storyline honestly after writing themselves into a corner, they somehow make everything okay again. I mean, you can argue that saving Chloe wasn't what you were supposed to do, but the endings really didn't reflect that. Chloe dies, and you get this ten minute montage of mourning. Save her, and you get two minutes of driving out of town with pretty much no emotion followed by hand holding and smiling.

Overall though, I think it's decent, not something anyone should try to get outside of a really good sale, but ok none the less.