For School: What Games for a Games as Lit. Class?

Thaius

Mar 5, 2008
stinkychops said:
I gave this some thought.

Generally English classes get you to read stories with meaning, which are elegantly written. Profound books.

Whereas games of any substantial length are made pretty much solely for entertainment. The story itself takes a back seat to gameplay mechanics. I can't think of any games which would be particularly good for symbolism and story, that aren;t done better in a book - or based entirely off a book.

Bioshock being a good example. Certainly the visual, sound and atmospheric aspects could be analysed but whether or not these are deemed as worthy aspects by individual curriculum is the issue there.
I would disagree, as would many game critics, I know. The Extra Credits team would vehemently disagree, and even Yahtzee has praised some games (mainly Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time) for their storytelling prowess. Video games have come into their own as a narrative art and produced some truly amazing stories; gameplay doesn't disqualify that, it compliments it. In the best games, at least. You mentioned Bioshock, which is a great example; it told an interesting story rich in philosophical concepts, and it used interactivity to make it an experience that no other medium could replicate. The plot twist simply would not have the same impact in a passive medium where they could not play with control the way they did.

You could argue some things are done better in books, but I think to do so would be to ignore some great video game stories, not to mention the interactive nature of games that make them capable of things books could never have dreamed. This is worth studying, and for that matter, only by studying and developing artistic theory of games can we help them rise up to the artistic level you say they are not yet at.

May 28, 2009
j-e-f-f-e-r-s said:
For story telling I would say Mass Effect, Dragon Age, Half life and Bioshock.

Mass Effect in particular has made some major steps forward in the story telling department, (at least for video games) with the first tasteful sex scenes.
Oh for fuck sake... games have had sex scenes before Mass Effect, and tasteful ones at that. Indigo Prophecy/Farenheit springs to mind, and that game is getting pretty old.

Jesus, soon people will be crediting Mass Effect with inventing fire and leading the Jews out of Egypt. It was a good game, but the story is only as good as a half-decent episode of Star Trek. It's not the greatest story ever told in gaming, not even close, and for a class based on storytelling techniques in games, there are a hundred and one better alternatives. A class like this, you want to choose the best of the best, not something that would fit on the Sci-Fi schedule.

Sorry never played em (but I heard that was a mini game not scene). But was there any need for the rant really. All I said was that it was a good example, and yes my knowledge was a little off but no need to jump down my throat about it, or was that rant just aimed a Mass Effect (in which case I retract this comment).

GBlair88

Jan 10, 2009
Thaius said:
Dear Esther would probably fit a few categories and although I haven't actually played it, I have heard it's a good narrative game.

brumley53

Oct 19, 2009
First-Person Storytelling - Halflife 2, Bioshock, Deus Ex, Portal, prey.
RPG Study Persona 3 portable or FES, Persona 4, pokemon, Deus Ex, Mass effect.
Adventure/Visual Novel Hotel dusk, 999, Day of the tentacle, Heavy Rain, anything from telltale games
Indie Games Hawken, minecraft, Interstellar space marines, Octodad.
Immersion Stalker, bioshock, fallout 3&NV.

plugav

Mar 2, 2011
Some of those have already been mentioned, but I want to give a personal list with short explanations. I've played all of the titles on PC.

First Person Storytelling:
- Deus Ex - I don't know a better example of an interactive narrative. Most things are resolved through player action, not multiple choice dialogue. There are sections where even your choice of weaponry affects the story.
There's also RPG elements.

- Portal - This game lies to you, but the truth/story leaks out through the environment.

WRPG:
- Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines - The story is mostly linear but masterfully constructed, with layers upon layers of treachery and deceit. It also likes to break the fourth wall, especially if you play as a Malkavian (but it's more fun to do that after completing the game with a different type of vampire).
Also worth noting, a lot of the game will be played from the first person perspective, and the combat can be either FPS or Third Person Slasher.
(Warning: This game is broken, only fanmade patches allowed me to finish it. But I've finished it five times so far.)

- Planescape: Torment - Walls of text. Dialogue choices that affect your character and character stats that affect dialogue choices. Forcing the player to answer philosophical questions. And a final boss battle that can be resolved through dialogue.

- Dragon Age 2 - If you should only choose one BioWare game, choose this one. Sure, the gameplay is lacking, the character interactions are probably not as deep as in Mass Effect 2, the pacing is a bit off, and some of the issues are heavy handed. But it's actually the only game I can think of right now whose main concerns are human rights and the conflict of order vs. freedom. Plus it's new.
Also, as all BioWare RPGs, this includes bits of actual literature written specifically for the game.

Indie:
- The Path - A symbol-laden retelling of Red Riding Hood that is an atmospheric masterpiece (so maybe also good for the immersion group?). A game with only one rule that you have to break to... win? It certainly tries its best to deconstruct gaming.

Immersion:
- Silent Hill 2 - Putting little emphasis on combat, the game relies on atmoshere to provide the scares. Less is more, as they say. The plot itself really caught me off guard when the main character's past was revealed.
Also, no HUD.

Halo Fanboy

Nov 2, 2008
Actually now that I think about it this whole class would be cooler if we excluded the obvious stuff from being covered. Don't let the class talk about Bioshock, Braid or Ico so that we can see some originality for once.

Why aren't you responding to me Thaius? :(

Wolfrug

Feb 11, 2009
Groovy thread, and good luck with your course - sounds like something I'd love doing.

Most anything that I'd suggest has already been mentioned here, but I thought I'd add two entries to the sort of generalized Indie category:

Every Day the Same Dream [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/alt-escape/7030-Alt-Escape-Every-Day-the-Same-Dream]

and

One Chance [http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/555181]

They both follow the same idea, which is fairly basic (or stylized) visuals + compelling soundtrack + simple sidescrolling non-challenging (i.e. no platforming or the like) yet interactive storytelling with a twist. The good thing with both of them is that you just need Flash and an Internet connection to play them, they only take a few minutes to complete, yet they allow for plenty of discussion on how exactly "gameplay", "interactivity" and so on influence the story being told.

One Chance is particularly poignant as it attempts to circumvent one of the 'problems' with interactive, multiple-choice storytelling, which is that whatever choices you make you can always 'undo' them simply by loading or restarting. One Chance only gives you that one playthrough, with no chance of fixing any mistakes you might have made (although it's easy enough to get around this, and if you're going to use it for your course I suggest you do try the different possible endings).

Overall, I think from the POV of "games as literature", you don't particularly NEED to go beyond the free-to-play, browser-based selection that already exists out there: big-budget AAA games are all nice and good, but what you get from them is just better audio and better visuals that usually obfuscate or distort the storytelling potential of games, rather than the opposite :-/ There are exceptions, of course, but visual art != literature, as I see it. From a literature POV, I don't see the difference between describing an underwater level in Cave Story (where you've just gotten the bubble to survive in it from...well, that'd be a spoiler!) and doing the same in, say, Bioshock 2. Bioshock 2 might be prettier, but unless it has a stronger storytelling impetus than the aforementioned 2D platformer, all that bling is, once again IMHO, useless from the POV of literature. It's like the difference between reading the line "And then I swam through the cave" on plain, regular white paper, and on nicely embossed shiny golden paper with stars on it. Maybe the quality of the paper made a difference when you were 10, but it shouldn't any longer. A pretty book is a pretty book, and I have plenty of them in my shelf, but content-wise it shouldn't matter if your Moby Dick is a 50 cent paperback version or a beautiful hardcover special limited edition costing 100 times as much.

Phew, long rant. Good initiative, and I hope things turn out well for you. Do let us know how it goes and what you decide on using :)

Thaius

Mar 5, 2008
stinkychops said:
Thaius said:
stinkychops said:
I gave this some thought.

Generally English classes get you to read stories with meaning, which are elegantly written. Profound books.

Whereas games of any substantial length are made pretty much solely for entertainment. The story itself takes a back seat to gameplay mechanics. I can't think of any games which would be particularly good for symbolism and story, that aren;t done better in a book - or based entirely off a book.

Bioshock being a good example. Certainly the visual, sound and atmospheric aspects could be analysed but whether or not these are deemed as worthy aspects by individual curriculum is the issue there.
I would disagree, as would many game critics, I know. The Extra Credits team would vehemently disagree, and even Yahtzee has praised some games (mainly Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time) for their storytelling prowess. Video games have come into their own as a narrative art and produced some truly amazing stories; gameplay doesn't disqualify that, it compliments it. In the best games, at least. You mentioned Bioshock, which is a great example; it told an interesting story rich in philosophical concepts, and it used interactivity to make it an experience that no other medium could replicate. The plot twist simply would not have the same impact in a passive medium where they could not play with control the way they did.

You could argue some things are done better in books, but I think to do so would be to ignore some great video game stories, not to mention the interactive nature of games that make them capable of things books could never have dreamed. This is worth studying, and for that matter, only by studying and developing artistic theory of games can we help them rise up to the artistic level you say they are not yet at.
Hey I can certainly agree that the plot twist was brilliant, due to the interactivity.

The issues I'm seeing however is that the parts of the game that would be analysed, aren't what makes a game a game. I certainly think that if the medium matures it would be worthy, but as it stands now... I don't necessarily think people need to specially study games to be able to make them better in the storytelling department. It seems that developers/publishers simply need to place more attention on the story.

To make a more concise point. There are games you can;t analyse for story, TF2. (All the story is contained in non-ingame mediums such as comics and videos, which says a lot). Counterstrike. Pacman. Forza Motorsport. What I'm saying is that a game can be a game without a story. Without meaning or symbolism.
letterbomber223 said:
Mills & Boon, Porky's, Comedy limericks... there are books, movies, and poems you can't analyse for story.
Anything can be an anything without meaning or symbolism, medium is irrelivant.
I think it is important to consider that video games are much more diverse than any other artistic medium. They can produce great works of literary art, but are also capable of creating legitimate forms of competition and fun timewasters. This is true, and it is important. But this diversity does not disqualify the artistic merits. The diversity of video games is not reason to abandon study of one or another of their uses, but reason to identify and study each of them. This course is to study games specifically as works of storytelling art. It does not mean that a game must have a story to be a game, it simply means that video games are capable of being a great narrative art form, even if they are not required to be.

Azaraxzealot

Dec 1, 2009
ColeusRattus said:
First-Person Storytelling: Half Life 2, Amnesia: The Dark Descent (or Penumbra), Deus Ex, Mirrors Edge

RPG Study: The Witcher, anything by Bioware, The last Remnant, Valkyria Chronicles, Final Fantasy whatever the newest part is.

Adventure/Visual Novel: Pretty much all the old Lucas Arts and Sierra games, Stacking, Myst.

Indie Games: tough one, I'd go for Amnesia again, Minecraft, Super Meat Boy, Spelunky, The Path...

Immersion: I think immerison should be handled generally and discussed with the games you're going to use in mind.
i'd say any fallout game fits immersion perfectly. they do GREAT with atmosphere

Proven Paradox

Apr 10, 2011
First-Person Storytelling - The original Condemned was pretty good for this I'm told, though I've never played it myself. Amnesia: Dark Descent was fun to watch and made excellent use of the first person perspective, but I never actually played it--just watched someone else do it.

RPG Study - JRPG is a pet genre of mine, though recent titles haven't been rewarding that. I enjoyed Persona 3 and 4 quite a bit. Shin Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Saga still stands as my personal best game of all time. You could also go retro with it: Final Fantasy 4, 6, Chrono Trigger, and Lufia II are all great SNES RPGs.

For WRPGs, I spent the most time with the Neverwinter Nights and its expansions. Dragon Age was also quite good, and it's multiplatform to boot.

Adventure/Visual Novel - Never really got into this genre in a big way. I played and enjoyed a game a long time ago--Toryn's Quest or something like that?--that would fall into this category I think, but for recent entries the closest thing I've played is Harvest Moon. They don't really work from a non-violence position, but I think both Odin Sphere and Muramasa: The Demon blade should be included somewhere in this class, and this is the closest fit of the categories you've presented. The former is basically a Shakespearean play turned into a video game, while the latter (aside from "you are a ninja and it is awesome") is a cool take on various various bits of Japanese mythology.

Indie Games - When I think 'art games' I think Killer 7. Not exactly Indy, but still utterly unique. I think it could have a place here. I'm only just now getting into the Indy gaming scene, and I enjoyed Braid a lot, but that wasn't exactly small budget... Other than that, the indy games I play tend to be action oriented.

Immersion - Immersion isn't really the right word for it, but if you want to study how visuals and atmosphere can define a setting, you NEED to include Okami. I would also include Shadow of the Collosus here.

trooper6

Jul 26, 2008
Indie: The Path
Adventure: Still Life, The Longest Journey, Dreamfall: The Longest Journey, Indigo Prophecy
RPG: Dragon Age 2
Syllabus Genre? but definitely useful for Games as Lit: Silent Hill 2, Max Payne 1 & 2, Godfather 1, XIII, Advent Rising

nuba km

Jun 7, 2010
Elamdri said:
Half-Life Series
Uncharted Series
Persona Series
Psychonauts
Beyond Good and Evil
Limbo
Baldur's Gate
Elder Scrolls: Morrowind
Legend of Zelda: A Link to The Past
Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
GTA: IV
GTA: San Andreas
Metal Gear Solid Series
Phoenix Wright Series
Monkey Island Series
Chrono Trigger
KOTOR
Grim Fandango
Sam & Max
Myst Series
Mass Effect Series
Dragon Age Series
Shadow of the Colossus

I'm not going to take the time to categorize them, sorry, you gotta do a little work ;)
you forgot silent hill 2 and the first two golden suns I think that would be everything then.

AnAngryMoose

Nov 12, 2009
ColeusRattus said:
First-Person Storytelling: Half Life 2, Amnesia: The Dark Descent (or Penumbra), Deus Ex, Mirrors Edge

RPG Study: The Witcher, anything by Bioware, The last Remnant, Valkyria Chronicles, Final Fantasy whatever the newest part is.

Adventure/Visual Novel: Pretty much all the old Lucas Arts and Sierra games, Stacking, Myst.

Indie Games: tough one, I'd go for Amnesia again, Minecraft, Super Meat Boy, Spelunky, The Path...

Immersion: I think immerison should be handled generally and discussed with the games you're going to use in mind.
ColleusRattus in on the right track.

On Immersion however, I would either take Colleus' advice, or if you're putting it into a category of it's own then I'd say Fallout: New Vegas. I'd also toss New Vegas into the RPG/FPS study.

EDIT: For Indie look at a game called Hazard: The Journey of Life. It's interesting. Made me feel nauseous. Not because it was violent or whatever, just the visuals...

Richard Hannay

Nov 30, 2009
The way World 1 of Braid (that is, the last world of Braid) uses the perspective resulting from a gameplay mechanic to deliver story would absolutely be worth examining in an academic setting.

The rest of Braid, not so much, but World 1, definitely.

Thaius

Mar 5, 2008
Sorry for the wait. Being in the death throes of my senior year makes me kind of busy. It sucks.

Halo Fanboy said:
Thaius said:
Heavy Rain
Not a real adventure game, or at most a very dumbed down one (basically a Time Gal clone.)

We've already realized our differences here. It's hard to put in that genre exactly, but your and my opinions on that particular game definitely reflect our differences regarding art theory in general, and I'm not sure it's possible to reconcile those particular differences. So I'm just going to leave that alone. Suffice it to say it uses similar principles in its gameplay as visual novels and other adventure games in generalizing the controls, allowing them to do more things than if each button constantly did one specific action. It also separated story choices from gameplay entirely, allowing the player's choices to be based entirely on the resulting story turns. Whether it succeeds is obviously a matter of split opinion between us.

Halo Fanboy said:
Thaius said:
I suppose I should have specified that. The point is that most games center around violence in their stories because it is easiest to create gameplay that centers on violence (with the exception of puzzle games like Tetris, but it is difficult to add a good interactive story to a game like that which has no bearing on any sort of real-life situation).
I guess you ignored that list of game genres I thought up that don't have any violence.
Both adventure games and visual novels tell their stories by removing the player's action from direct interaction with the player's movements and instead focusing largely (or sometimes entirely) on story-related choices and actions. Thus, even if the story is violent, the gameplay is not.
That's wrong, adventure games don't concentrate on interacting with the story, the majority in fact do not have any story choices at all, they are merely a series of puzzles. Myst has an anemic story for example. And how do adventure games remove the player from direct interaction, because they are point and click? That's still direct control. And even some, like Shenmue and that Dreamfall sequel give you even more advanced control than that.

I suppose "direct control" is not the best term. Rather, not "full" control. In that most games have one button swing your sword arm, another button make your character jump, another button push buttons, etc. This means that these games can only really do what those buttons allow. Master Chief cannot round-house kick an Elite in the face, not because he's incapable, but because it's not mapped in the controls. Nor can he lay down his weapons and attempt peace talks with the highest-ranking Brute in the vicinity, because the game is about shooting things and there is no option for that. In adventure games, the gameplay is generalized; a click of the mouse could mean talking, attacking, spitting, whatever. This is the connection with games like Heavy Rain and Fahrenheit/Indigo Prophecy; the buttons pressed have a sort of basic logic to them, but each button could mean something completely different based on context. It's been done in all sorts of games, from the "action" button in many games to the "head, arms, and legs" thing Assassin's Creed has got going on. Adventure games just allow a single input on the part of the player to mean many different things depending on context, thus allowing the same gameplay that governs combat to govern talking, playing with kids, or running from a threat and, as a result, allowing for gameplay to play a part in all sorts of stories and situations.

Visual novels accomplish the same thing by, rather than generalizing, minimizing the gameplay, disconnecting the choices from gameplay entirely and simply making them occasional story-important choices. It is a different approach, but it allows the exact same thing as the gameplay generalization of adventure games; interactivity can now play a part in the story without leading to gameplay unwisely applied to a situation it cannot emulate well.

And I did not ignore your list, I thought I replied to it. But I guess not. Issue being, puzzle games like Tetris and the others you mentioned are so far removed from reality in their very concept that it is difficult to come up with any sort of story that actually works with them. Which is why they have no story. It can be possible (consider Puzzle Quest), but is not easy and has rarely been done. Tetris tells no story and thus, while it does have value as a game and as a work of art, has no value as a narrative. Which is the point of this particular class.

Well, unless you count Tetris Worlds on the Xbox. But that was dumb. :p

quote="Halo Fanboy" post="9.276732.10765918"]
Thaius said:
I was using "addictiveness" to illustrate that just because a game is well-made and fun, to the point of not wanting to stop, does not mean it is "immersive." But you seem to be saying that a game is only good if it fits those particular criteria, which is interesting. I'm not remembering you being a "games are only good if they tell a good story and do it really well" sort of guy so much as a "games are about play, and if anything detracts from that the game has failed" sort of guy.
You don't get it, games are immersive when they bombard you with a series of intense challanges. Games that take breaks from the challange to focus on story are less immersive, less interesting and less good.
That is not the way I have seen anyone define "immersive" in games. I wonder if this is an actual disagreement or just a confusion of terms. When I say "immersive," I am talking about the effect caused by fitting music, detailed environment, realistic touches, whatever it is that makes the game feel like a complete and whole experience. To use an oft-used (possibly overused, but for good reason) example, Bioshock is immersive because its music is fitting, its story is told through the environment and slowly-revealing backstory, and the world of Rapture is detailed both in what it was (you can tell that each place used to have a particular function and was a working part of the society) and what it is (rubble, trash, the small touches like brown sink water and occasional leaks). It is more than simply getting "sucked in," it's a matter of actually feeling like you are part of what is going on. Tetris bombards you with a series of intense challenges, but that does not mean it's "immersive," simply that it is well-designed and challenging.

As for your more recent comment, I had thought of just not including games that everyone is likely to have played. It was definitely something I considered. However, I decided against it for two reasons.

First of all, I have felt the joy and wonder of finding meaning in something I had experienced before. When you watch that kid's movie you used to love for the first time in years and realize it's actually a really good film regardless of age. When you actually pay attention to the story and atmosphere of a game that you perhaps, in a less mature time, skipped all the cutscenes before so you could get to the shooting. I do not want to deprive people of that. If someone played Shadow of the Colossus groaning about the uneventful mid-colossus rides just so they could kill something, I think they should be able to go back and play it again with a more analytical eye if they so desire. I would be strongly encouraging the students to get out of their comfort zones, try things they may not have tried outside of the context of the course, but they will get out of it what they put in.

Secondly, some people will not have played them. Only in a community like The Escapist has the majority played games like Shadow of the Colossus or Okami, and that is questionable even here; it's likely more like a loud minority. The games known for narrative and artistic value are known as such for good reason, and if someone has not experienced them I do not want to tell them what is basically the equivalent of "It's too mainstream for my pretentious literature course!"

Seriously though, nothing pisses me off more than the "it's not good because it's popular/mainstream" argument. It's freaking stupid.