Forge Review

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
I played this at a friends and I have to agree, it's more like work then a fun game. At least to me, but then I'm not an MMO type person all that much so that probably says it all about my opinion.

gardian06

Jun 18, 2012
Grey Carter said:
"He can also set bombs which, when detonated, appear to release streams of spinach, leading me to believe he may in fact be some kind of highly aggressive nutritionist."
yes, this is how nutritionists fight with Spinach bombs.

OT: then Why are you reviewing an Unfinished game. just because it has a public "release" you even said "I can't review a game on hypotheticals" if you know the game is not finished then why review it? are you going to update the review when the rest of the game is there, or if/when the game improves with this 1.5 stars stand for eternity?

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
gardian06 said:
Grey Carter said:
"He can also set bombs which, when detonated, appear to release streams of spinach, leading me to believe he may in fact be some kind of highly aggressive nutritionist."

OT: then Why are you reviewing an Unfinished game. just because it has a public "release" you even said "I can't review a game on hypotheticals" if you know the game is not finished then why review it? are you going to update the review when the rest of the game is there, or if/when the game improves with this 1.5 stars stand for eternity?
They sent us a copy to review and Dark Vale is currently selling the game to the general public. That warrants a review, in my opinion. As for updating the review; Perhaps, somewhere down the line, but I'd really like to dissuade devs from trying from the whole "selling a beta" thing.

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
Grey Carter said:
gardian06 said:
Grey Carter said:

They sent us a copy to review and Dark Vale is currently selling the game to the general public. That warrants a review, in my opinion. As for updating the review; Perhaps, somewhere down the line, but I'd really like to dissuade devs from trying from the whole "selling a beta" thing.
This I can agree with. But this is very much thanks to the way Steam has been poorly handling Greenlight admissions, something that isn't being talked about here on this website. It could prove to shape how indie developers sell their games in the future and I personally think that's important that we be talking about that.

gardian06

Jun 18, 2012
Grey Carter said:
gardian06 said:
Grey Carter said:

alright. that makes a fair bit of sense, but (after re-reading the body of the review) I think you should have tried to say that a little more point blank, as it comes across as not so much "disdain for them releasing this" but more "this is just what I have to review, and I am trying to look at it as brightly as possible"

I think the disdain even in the closing paragraph (before the recommendation, and bottom line sections) would have been a good sign off. something like "I think that if this game would have been withheld from release until it was complete instead of released in this lacking beta state it might have been a pretty good game, but otherwise this is what we have at time of writing" (you may use, and edit to include if you wish without credit)

Your Gaffer

Oct 10, 2012
gardian06 said:
Grey Carter said:

Because the developer/publisher is accepting money in return for letting you play it...

Frizzle

Nov 11, 2008
llagrok said:
Essentially, you're mad because you're bad?

Jesus, I hope they don't put this guy on Dota 2.
He didn't say he was bad, he just pointed out the things that didn't make the game fun for him, or feel finished. To be honest, I got the same feelings he did just by watching the preview video on steam. Visual representations are important in a graphical game. If you don't feel like you're affecting people, then why do anything at all? I'll agree the game has an interesting premise, but i held off from downloading it from steam because it looked like it wouldn't be all that was promised.

Also, DoTA 2 really isn't that awesome..

Fearzone

Boyz! Boyz! Boyz!
Dec 3, 2008
On paper, this is the sort of game that I should like, but in practice, probably I would have a similar experience. So, I hope they get the opportunity to polish it better, and maybe it will catch on, because it looks pretty cool to me. Obviously they released it in a beta state. Too bad things didn't go better on Kickstarter, because this kind of game has a place.

An RPG without character progression doesn't feel right, but you might be able to get character progression without expanding power by increasing the number of abilities available at higher levels, but keep those abilities balanced or even a little underpowered so not having them at level 1 isn't too much of a consequence. For example, a level 1 mage might just be able to spam fireball and put up an ice shield, but that fireball is as good as a level 99 mage. The level 99 mage has lot of other spells, but the starting fireball can still be potent and useful.

In WoW, even if I were at a low level for a battleground, I could still help my team by using support abilities, like fearing the flag carrier, or dropping speed bump totems, or even just call out incomings on undefended flags. So that is another way to balance things while still having character progression. And then minimize penalties for playing bad and losing--we want WoW, not Dota--such that new people are motivated to play and can get past the learning curve.

At any rate, it doesn't look like a game I would play yet, but is one I will follow, and hopefully will play someday.

Spud of Doom

Feb 24, 2011
It is a bit of a shame. It seems like a good idea, but especially if people have trouble identifying their team, the game has problems. Perhaps they should have waited a little longer to release.

Fursnake

Jun 18, 2009
So this is MMO arena PvP minus the story or the virtual world. Gonna pass. This seems like PvP with even less of a point than PvP in actual MMO's and built around a Call of Duty multiplayer structure.

I'll keep holding out for a good sandbox MMO with PvP that actually has anything to do with the game world at all because this is about as far from it as one can get without ending up at single player games heh.

I keep seeing this game being referred to as an MMO, which it is not really. The main page for this game even has a quote: "Combat in Forge is the some of the fastest and most enjoyable of any MMO I've played"...from Joystiq no less. What is so MMO about this, the amount of people that can sit in the lobby chatting while they look for a match? That hardly qualifies for MMO. Can you have huge battles with tons of people in a match? No. Can tons of peole run around the gamewor--ooops, guess not.

The fact that they are selling this when it is cleary in alpha/beta stage is a bit questionable, but that seems to be the rising trend.

But my New Year's Resolution was to try and be less negative and pessimistic so although this game is not my cup of tea by far, best of luck to them. Still, I feel they should have tacked on a 6-8 hour single player campaign for good measure :p.