Forget Nostalgia, Super Metroid Was Embarrassingly Easy

Olas

Hello!
Dec 24, 2011
Disclosure: Huge Metroid fan here.

Aside from the boss battles I don't really think the Metroid games are supposed to be difficult in the same way that traditional platformers are, where it's an achievement just to reach the end of a section/level. In Metroid you're exploring the environment, finding things, solving puzzles, figuring out what to do next, all of which are easier on second playthroughs when you already remember everything. The enemies scattered across Zebes are mostly just there to keep you alert and make the world seem rich and alive. Sometimes they pose a threat, but it isn't supposed to be a struggle simply to progress.

Super Cyborg

Jul 25, 2014
Super Metroid is my favorite game of all time, so what I'm about to say will have at least some bias.

The first time I actually played through Super Metroid was when I was 15 or 16, and the Wii had just come out much later. Despite having a good amount experience playing games, I died a number of times, and I got lost. It took me many tries to beat even the easiest of bosses, such as the Crocodile you have to shoot into the Lava. Ridley and the Ghost Ship boss were Hell for me. I even died to Monster Mother Brain a number of times. I remember when I finally got to the rainbow laser of doom, I almost raged quit because how many tries it took to get to that point. In the end, took me well over 10 hours to beat the game.

One of the main reasons I failed so hard was that I did not have all the beam upgrades, and my max ammunition was really low. The thing is the first play through, you are trying to figure out where to go, you many times forget about the areas before and think "oh, now that I have this speed boost, I can go back to X, Y, and Z area".

Playing the game a second time through, that's where things really shine, and you see just how well things work. Every time you get a power up, you use it right away to get an idea about how it works. When playing a second time, you've learned the in's and out's of all the power ups, you go through the areas again and mentally map what power up you need to access a certain area. You also learn that many areas with power ups do not show up on the map, and you must discover it yourself. Playing through again, you discover new places, get new power ups, and get through the game more easily.

Super Metroid is my favorite game because of this aspect. The game has the right atmosphere and starts with a world that seems barren. As you go through the game, you discover just how much is in it, and as you play more and more through the game, you discover even more about the game. The music nails the atmosphere of each area and really sends shivers down my spine. I've played through the game over a dozen times, and I even beat Ridley once without taking a single hit (got really lucky/was really in the zone). It's easy, but it really feels like a story unfolding as you go forward. I need to play a game where I try sequence breaking, which would add a different spin to everything.

Yes, as you play the game again, it becomes easier, and after the third or fourth time, it's child's play. However, I think most games become like that after a certain point if you've played it long enough. Heck, after playing God Hand on Hard Mode, I played it on easy mode using no God Hand or Roulette Wheel techniques, and it was easier than the first time I played the game on Hard Mode.

SecondPrize

Mar 12, 2012
Yeah, it is really easy when you collect all the stuff. Next you should write about how Ocarina of Time is a cinch after you get all your hearts and the Boggoron sword.

ToastiestZombie

Don't worry. Be happy!
Mar 21, 2011
Firstly, a game is going to be much easier the second time around if you've played its older, much harder and more obtuse sibling and know where all the good items are. I went back and played DaS1 a few weeks ago and what was once an incredibly tough, confusing game is now something I can breeze through in much less time with only a few deaths. Metroid isn't a twitch-based platformer/shooter like Super Meat Boy or Quake, it's an exploration-based, slower game that will inevitably get easier with a second run-through.

Secondly,what does it matter if YOU found it easy? Metroid has never been marketed or rewarded for being incredibly challenging, it's rewarded for its amazing exploration, innovation in its genre and the atmosphere. This article is the equivalent of saying 'Forget Nostalgia, Super Mario Bros Had an Embarassingly Simple Story!'

Rodrigo Girao

May 13, 2011
leading to the birth of the video game sub-genre Metroidvania.
There is no such a thing. It's called action-adventure. Years before the original Metroid, there were games with similar formulas, such as Pitfall II, Impossible Mission, and Montezuma's Revenge.

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
Ridley was pretty hard for me when I first played through the game. I think I died like five times before finally beating him.

Other than that, yeah, the game isn't too tough. But I don't think it really needed to be tough to be as good as it was.

Lazule

Oct 11, 2013
Never played it sadly and I became a huge fan of Metroidvania after SoTN and Aria of Sorrow. Now I will thanks Lizzy, I will cakewalk through the game asap.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Yes, super easy...to an experienced game player. To a normal person, this is a lie and they will hate you for telling it.