Forget Realism, We Need Truth

ThunderCavalier

Nov 21, 2009
While I agree that it would be nice if a lot more military shooters stopped with the pandering and glorifying military fantasies... I don't think that taking the exact 180 and making all of them deep, introspective views on war is necessarily the correct approach. Not only because we can't expect such stories to be successful all the time (and preachy, patronizing stories that attempt to be deep and introspective are some of the worst) but also because sometimes we play video games for a cathartic experience which, in a way, CoD does provide.

Yes, the market is kinda oversaturated with the power fantasies that CoD usually provides, but I don't think that entirely eliminating them is a good alternative.

Sigmund Av Volsung

Hella noided
Dec 11, 2009
jaded zombie said:
this isn't a problem exclusive to video games though, if people wanted the truth, american sniper wouldn't be a box-office success.
The Hurt Locker says hi.

Many people already made the case that American Sniper is a box-office success because of how empty it is as a movie and how easy it is to project values onto it. It's the Bella Swan of movies, except tailored for paranoid Americans.

OP: I don't have much to add; another enjoyable read as can be expected from Mr. Rath.

It's always better to hit the themes of the subject matter rather than the visuals. Graphics and physics are little more than a connecting path to the heart of the story, where it is the gameplay and the narrative that allow the central conceit to emerge.

zumbledum

Nov 13, 2011
Robert Rath said:
Forget Realism, We Need Truth

Robert tackles the military games genre and says that if you want to depict war, you need to talk about the material in a way that resonates with the audience.

Read Full Article
Id rather they focus on game play myself them being games and all. and if you want to tell a truth do it through the game play not the narrative. Spec ops was bad, bad gameplay and hamfisted forced atrocities , if you want to see the right way for games to tell truths , look at papers please or this war of mine.

CrazyCapnMorgan

Is not insane, just crazy >:)
Jan 5, 2011
"...I like fun - but fun has a short expiration date. I stop having fun when I put down the controller, but a game that shows you truth flash burns itself on your soul."

I feel that this can be applied to all genres of games, not just military shooters. For instance, there have been certain things I've learned from RPGs that give you a hint of realism that I have always remembered since I came upon them. Legend of Mana, Wild ARMs, Danganronpa, Chrono Trigger and even Persona 4 are but a few that I can mention; I'm sure other people here can mention more. I guess it's when you make an enjoyable gaming experience that shows you something, perhaps even teaches you, that you can apply to the real world that truly makes something memorable.

elvor0

Sep 8, 2008
remnant_phoenix said:
CoD haters get confused when I defend the artistic merits of CoD4.
That...is surprising. I've never seen anyone badmouth CoD 4, even if people flat out hate the series, that's always the one that gets held up as "the good one", because it was the exact opposite of the games that came after it.

It did what it did because that was what the developers thought would be good and leave an impression, not just for the sake of it, intentially causing controversy, dem feels, cash out or trying to top itself by being brutalz.

Drops a Sweet Katana

Folded 1000x for her pleasure
May 27, 2009
I agree with the general thrust of this article, I disagree on a point or two. Firstly, I don't really agree with Spec Ops: The Line being an illustration of the player's compulsion to just keep killing, considering there are no other options to progress. I don't think that's powerful at all. To me, it's chastising the player for simply playing the game. I hear that's kind of its thing, but it still doesn't feel like a meaningful commentary on war. What would have been more effective is if you could progress by force or evasion, but by evasion, perhaps you witness atrocities from afar that you want to fight and stop. However in doing so, you endanger the lives of your squad, civilians and yourself, and maybe instill in yourself a kind of moral justification for your actions. And I'm talking about the characters in the game. I'm talking about the player. That would have really hit home if the powerful moments of the game were wrought of the players own volition. It would be a good way to show the inherent issues around seeing atrocities, having the will and power to intervene, but knowing somewhere that your actions in stopping them would only lead to more suffering.

Secondly, I disagree with the sentiment that you sacrifice truth when you add more realism. Red Orchestra is a great example of how realism can actually convey the horrors of combat. The sound of artillery, the screams of dying soldier, distant gunfire, your own racing heart and breath, and the knowledge that around the next corner, could be your death. Playing or even watching them game is downright terrifying most of the time, as you would expect combat to be.

remnant_phoenix

Apr 4, 2011
elvor0 said:
remnant_phoenix said:
CoD haters get confused when I defend the artistic merits of CoD4.
That...is surprising. I've never seen anyone badmouth CoD 4, even if people flat out hate the series, that's always the one that gets held up as "the good one", because it was the exact opposite of the games that came after it.

It did what it did because that was what the developers thought would be good and leave an impression, not just for the sake of it, intentially causing controversy, dem feels, cash out or trying to top itself by being brutalz.
People who've never played a single CoD game and judge the whole series based what it is known for in more recent years.

And I used to be one of them. When several people whose gaming taste I respect held up CoD4's campaign as something special, I gave it shot in 2011, and it remains one of the more compelling single player game experiences I've had in years. Now I'm one of those people who stick up for CoD4's campaign in spite of what the series is now famous for.

zzrhardy

Feb 24, 2015
"Computer games are the search for fun... not truth. If it's truth you're looking for, Dr. Tyree's philosophy class is right down the hall."