Former Buffy Actor to Write Mockingjay Films

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
Former Buffy Actor to Write Mockingjay Films

Yes, "films." There's going to be two of them.

As is now traditional for big-budget book adaptations, Lionsgate is splitting the movie based on the final installment of the Hunger Games trilogy into two parts. Both parts of Mockingjay, which explore grouchy protagonist, Katniss Everdeen's, role as a propaganda figure and revolutionary, are being written by writer and actor, Danny Strong.

Strong recently won two Emmys for writing and co-producing the HOBO TV-movie Game Change, but he started his Hollywood career as an actor. Buffy the Vampire Slayer fans will recognize him as the guy who played Jonathan Levinson in all of the show's seven seasons. He's also appeared in Seinfeld, 3rd Rock from the Sun and Mad Men

I admit, I kind of expected The Hunger Games movie to go the way of the unfortunate Northern Lights adaptation, The Golden Compass. Instead the mix of violence and teen drama did incredibly well, grossing some $685 million worldwide since its release in March. While Hunger Games managed to squeeze itself into a PG-13 rating, it'll be interesting to see how Strong handles the violence in Mockingjay. While hardly a sci-fi classic, the book does handle some pretty heavy themes for a teen thriller. While the first two installments in the series lend themselves well to the "who should she choose" shipping contests that hypnotize teenage girls into buying lunchboxes, Mockingjay is a morally gray horrors-of-war affair. Whether it's hefty enough to warrant two films is up for debate.

The second movie, Catching Fire is due for release this next November, with the two final films to follow in 2014 and 2015 respectively.

Source: Variety [http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118060123?refCatId=13]

Dragoon

Jan 19, 2010
As long as they don't pad it out with crappy filler scenes like that awkward dance in the last HP film pt 1 they should be okay, maybe push it up to a higher age rating aswell.

Tono Makt

Mar 24, 2012
DVS BSTrD said:
Cutting films into more and more pieces seems to be the hobbit in Hollywood right now.
There are worse puns that ca... okay, no, this is the absolute worst pun that can be made. Kudos!

re: OT

Interesting to see him writing them. That is going to be one hell of a job, writing those into something that can be filmed - as the books are written entirely in the first person, they can be a hell of a challenge to figure out how to make them work. (and when I say entirely in the first person, I mean that literally - if Katniss doesn't see it or think it, it's not in the book. If she isn't paying attention to something, like the history propaganda in the first book, then it's not in the book. If she doesn't describe something, it's not described.)

As for whether Mockingjay warrants two movies or not, I think it does. I think there is more than enough in the book to allow for two full movies, and if Strong is a competent writer or has a competent team to help, it could be a very enjoyable pair of movies as there is quite a bit to work with in Mockingjay.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
If it can cover Mockingjay without making the heroine a self-centered twit in a constant state of flat-affect-inducing gloom, that will be a significant achievement. An achievement not surmounted by the book, in my opinion.

Chunga the Great

Sep 12, 2010
Well it's official; Hunger Games is the new Twilight. A horrible book kept afloat only by hordes of teenage girls is turned into a laughably terrible movie that makes a shit-ton of money because of aforementioned teenage girls which then gets multiple sequels to wring as much money as possible out of teenage girls.

*sigh* Sometimes, I just wanna burn it all down.

UnderGlass

Jan 12, 2012
Ahh, Jonathan - Secret Agent Extraordinaire - you and your narcissistic pocket universe shall be fondly remembered.

Seems worryingly quick to greenlight that sort of thing before the next one's even out yet. Oh well I guess since they've gone for the second they're kind of committed to the third as well. Still plenty of time to cut it to ribbons in the editing room if the bottom falls out of this boat.

I'm looking foward to it personally. It wasn't a masterpiece or anything but I didn't have any major gripes with the first film, found it very entertaining. Never read the books before though so ehmm...

Roander

Dec 27, 2009
Based on the photo I thoroughly trust this person to create an amazing movie. Either it will be strange and amazing or it will be amazingly horrible.

saintdane05

Aug 2, 2011
You do realize that the Hunger Games books have, like, zero romance? The majority is actually faked by the Capitol, and Gale disappeared until Mockingjay.

Baldr

The Noble
Jan 6, 2010
I had never heard of these books until a film crew showed up wanting to shoot in my backyard. A couple of my friends were capital citizens in the first movie. I hoping to join them as an extra in the second movie.

ThaBenMan

Mandalorian Buddha
Mar 6, 2008
Grey Carter said:
The second movie, Catching Fire is due for release this November, with the two final films to follow in 2014 and 2015 respectively.
I found this confusing - it seemed to me that you were saying it comes out next month. I had to check IMDB. You might want to change that.

Anyway, I liked the first book and movie pretty well, and the book Catching Fire too (I still need to read Mockingjay). Kind of silly that they're following the splitting trend when it doesn't really seem necessary, but whatev, I'll still watch the movies. And yeah, I really have no idea who Danny Strong is, but he seems to like Star Wars so he can't be too bad a guy.

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
ThaBenMan said:
Grey Carter said:
The second movie, Catching Fire is due for release this November, with the two final films to follow in 2014 and 2015 respectively.
I found this confusing - it seemed to me that you were saying it comes out next month. I had to check IMDB. You might want to change that.

That was a straight-up typo on my part. It's fixed now, thanks for pointing it out.

Xanadu84

Apr 9, 2008
Hunger Games is mostly romance? What? Theres less romance in Hunger Games then, say, Star Wars, and a good chunk of the romance that is there is faked for the capitol, or tempered with Katniss considering murdering the love interest in question in rational self-interest. Oh, and the love triangle isn't solved by romance so much as it is solved by
horrific, psyche-scarring war crimes
a subdued, minimalist romantic sub-plot is one of The Hunger Games strengths.