Former DICE CEO Describes Wii as "A Virus"

lasersandbearsohno

Nov 8, 2009
Gigaguy64 said:
dementedartist22 said:
Gigaguy64 said:
like many people have said, all consoles are toys.
And so what people think the wii doesn't make "True Games" anymore.
Yea they have made many Novelty games but if that's all they think Nintendo is capable of now?
They obviously haven't played TvC, SSBB, or Muramasa:TDB and they must not know about
Metroid: Other M or Monster Hunters Tri.
I've played these games. I was severely unimpressed. SSBB was one of the biggest disappointments of my life and after I finished my bout with elebits i was done. The only reason I've had to touch my wii in the past two years was to play OoT. I borrowed metroid from a friend (self proclaimed nintendo fanboy)saying that 'It would change my view of FPS forever" and "its perfect". I played it for as long as i could before setting it down, once again disappointed. The main thing nintendo does for me is make games that I, at one time got excited for, and learned to not play anymore. Personally, the Wii was the best 250$ paperweight that will ever sit in my living room for whenever we have 8 year olds over
What about Tatsunoko VS Capcom & Muramasa: TDB?
Did you play those?
There are many examples i could give of Games that conveniently slip peoples minds when they talk about the wii.
Im not saying that your not entitled to your opinion, im just saying there are many Good and Bad Games for all systems, you just haft to look for them and stop Giving up on a system because of a few bad games.
Well no, but a few good games don't make up for a system thats got library of horrible ones. Everyone and their dog have some obscure, crappy wii game. Just look at the shelf for wii at a gamestop or something, there are maybe, 4-5 good games on there, and thats pretty slim for me. Even some of the 'good' games for the wii i find unfun after the hype dies down. SSBB of course, and mario kart even. They are fun for a month, but wear down quickly. I guess another one of my problems with the wii has to be the internet play. I tried to do it on SSBB, horrible, horrific, utterly terrible. I tried on mario kart, ok, but still really not that fun. I guess it comes down to personal preference, but for me, the graphics, internet, and hell, library of genuinely good games means the ps3 sits at my tv, and my wii sits in the corner

Burblesnot

Feb 19, 2010
Here, tell you what...give your five year old a PS3, an Xbox 360, and something from Fisher Price. Come back in 20 minutes. The one still in one piece, without a slice of Kraft Single's placed lovinly in the disc slots, all the ports filled up with an undesirable purple paste and anything shiny and/or metallic not stripped from it's body, is the toy, and everything else was an incredibly expensive entertainment system you just fucked the shit out of because you wanted to call it a toy. I don't call my DVD or Blue-ray players toys, or my kick-ass sound system, because they're not. I can't play with 'em, I can't toss 'em around or throw them casually into a corner... (I can do this with my gamecube...and it probably could survive the attentions of a spastic toddler..but fuck U no toy!)
I do know for a fact though that there are a ton of people who will leave their retarded killo-kids parked in front of the wii and hope it keeps them happy. One of the little bastards just grew up, tossed the wii and got a 360 (No accounting for taste) The Reason? Wii os for children and he wanted something more mature. This kid is 13. And he wants something more mature. So I took him to the strip club. Now he wants a 360 and a pass to the champagne room.
The WII is a Toy! It's got kid games and toy accessories! Call your PC a toy and see if the internet doesn't eat your brains for it! Call the WII a toy and it cries in the corner and gives you another Mario game. I played that shit when I was 8! I'mma tired of playing Mario! I'm a man now damnit, I have my own plunger!

Gigaguy64

Special Zero Unit
Apr 22, 2009
dementedartist22 said:
Gigaguy64 said:
dementedartist22 said:
Gigaguy64 said:
like many people have said, all consoles are toys.
And so what people think the wii doesn't make "True Games" anymore.
Yea they have made many Novelty games but if that's all they think Nintendo is capable of now?
They obviously haven't played TvC, SSBB, or Muramasa:TDB and they must not know about
Metroid: Other M or Monster Hunters Tri.
I've played these games. I was severely unimpressed. SSBB was one of the biggest disappointments of my life and after I finished my bout with elebits i was done. The only reason I've had to touch my wii in the past two years was to play OoT. I borrowed metroid from a friend (self proclaimed nintendo fanboy)saying that 'It would change my view of FPS forever" and "its perfect". I played it for as long as i could before setting it down, once again disappointed. The main thing nintendo does for me is make games that I, at one time got excited for, and learned to not play anymore. Personally, the Wii was the best 250$ paperweight that will ever sit in my living room for whenever we have 8 year olds over
What about Tatsunoko VS Capcom & Muramasa: TDB?
Did you play those?
There are many examples i could give of Games that conveniently slip peoples minds when they talk about the wii.
Im not saying that your not entitled to your opinion, im just saying there are many Good and Bad Games for all systems, you just haft to look for them and stop Giving up on a system because of a few bad games.
Well no, but a few good games don't make up for a system thats got library of horrible ones. Everyone and their dog have some obscure, crappy wii game. Just look at the shelf for wii at a gamestop or something, there are maybe, 4-5 good games on there, and thats pretty slim for me. Even some of the 'good' games for the wii i find unfun after the hype dies down. SSBB of course, and mario kart even. They are fun for a month, but wear down quickly. I guess another one of my problems with the wii has to be the internet play. I tried to do it on SSBB, horrible, horrific, utterly terrible. I tried on mario kart, ok, but still really not that fun. I guess it comes down to personal preference, but for me, the graphics, internet, and hell, library of genuinely good games means the ps3 sits at my tv, and my wii sits in the corner
True.
I haven't Played the Ps3 yet so i cant say much.
Many of may Games for the wii are still massive amounts of fun t me, especially SSBB.
The internet for me wasn't much of a problem, there was lag from time to time but nothing i couldn't handle.
But when ever i see the Ps3 section at a game store all i see is Mediocrity.
It has good games but, like the PS2, its starting to get so many games that most of them are just Shovel-ware.
But that's just what i see.

My preference comes down to the wii for me.
I still wish Nintendo would get it together and keep Games like the last few that have been released coming.
I want to get a Ps3 as well.
It has many of the JRPG's that i want to play.

SextusMaximus

Nightingale Assassin
May 20, 2009
Who votes on webcaming this guy while we watch him play Manhunt 2 and cry himself to sleep every night for the next month.

Nov 28, 2007
Wiis are a virus. They are a disease, a cancer of the gaming world. They are a plague, and the 360's are the cure.

Besides reminding me of Agent Smith from The Matrix, there is little worth in his words. Sure, there are those who buy Wiis and don't play them beyond the first month, but calling it a "toy", basically saying it is not of the same quality as the 360 and PS3 is taking it a bit too far.

Asturiel

the God of Pants
Nov 24, 2009
Woodsey said:
The Wii is overpriced and lacking in every aspect (except disappointment).
Overpriced? When I bought it it was cheap as the hooker I am using right now. sin. I got it on the first day, then again I am one of the subscribers to the buying of things to have so *shrug*.

But I still have fun playing brawl with friends(sometimes while drunk)with it so I don't consider it overpriced in the slightest. Plus it's backwards compatibility saved me from having to search for the non broken gamecube(yes I did the impossible).

OT: I dislike the lack of quality in most Nintendo games, but you know what? I don't really fucking care, I will sweep through the shit to see if any new games interest me, if not no loss, I aint buying any of them. I'm going to go with bitter man getting angry that games of slight quality aren't selling as well as the wii stuff.

omoto

Feb 22, 2010
Sir John The Net Knight said:
I think you misunderstand me here. Of course there should be games for the younger demographic. And there's no reason that light-hearted games can't be fun. I'm not some kind of perverted monster that can't be entertained unless there's a certain amount of severed limbs and organs flying across the screen.

I personally feel that Nintendo is the one with the short sighted viewpoints, they don't seem to think that gaming should ever evolve and that there should be any games aside from retreaded Mario/Zelda/Pokemon. Now I'm not in any position to tell them how to run their business, I just feel that a company that large shouldn't be able to alienate the core player base the way they do. It's Nintendo's arrogance that I take issue with.

Liliegrin's view points are shared by a lot of third party developers. They want to make good games for the Wii, but the technology is outdated and the controller is nearly impossible to work with. This is why you see so many shovelware games and mini-game collections. So I whole heartly agree with you there.

So just to sum up, there's room for Zelda and God of War. I just take issue with the arrogant business practices is all, not to mention the fanboy glaze that Nintendo eminates, but I guess there's no stopping that. And it couldn't really hurt Nintendo to come with a new IP. I mean, it's been nearly a decade since Pikmin.
I'm sorry for misunderstanding you. I didn't mean to imply that you only thought that bloody games are good. And I have nothing against those kind of games either, I'm downloading the GoW 3 demo as I type this, and this weekend I finished Dragon Age on the pc.

There's no denying that the Wii technology is behind the competition. They knew this from the start, and made a successful - moneywise - gamble. I sincerely hope they use Blu-ray and HD graphics and whatever is available when they release their next console.

I'm happy with my Wii. There are a lot of good games, like NMH, MadWorld, Muramasa, and, why not, Nintendo IP's. When I see those Cooking Mama's, I get pisssed, not as a Wii owner, but as someone that's been playing videogames for 15+ years. I can understand some "casual" games, like Brain Age, or Nintendogs. But Duck Hunting is an insult against the whole industry.

The lack of true third-party support really hurts the Wii. The fact that good games like NMH and Muramasa doesn't sell well also help this scenario. But, quite frankly, I disagree with you that 3rd party developers want to make good Wii games. A lot of times, specially when a multiplatform game is released, it's clear they did a crappy job on the Wii on the hope it will sell, because it's for the Wii (Force Unleashed, anyone?).
Regarding Nintendo retreading series, I believe that if the Wii had good 3rd party games for the "core" audience, the fact that Nintendo focus it's franchise towards more "casual" gamers wouldn't be noted as much as it is. Wanna see an example? The DS. Nintendo can keep with Pokemon and Mario the way they always have, but there's still good games from Capcom (Ace Attorney), Squareenix(TWEWY), Konami (Castlevania).

I also have some problems with the wiimote. I don't mind moving my arms when I play games. In fact, I like that in some games (boxe, tennis). But when people (Nintendo included) develops games for the Wii, they have this need to put motion controls somewhere, and sometimes that make the games less enjoyable, especially if the game would've been better without it in the first place, like Zelda TP - I bought the GameCube version. But when put to good use, like the way it was used in No More Heroes, I believe it adds to the game experience.

To end this huge post of my, I must call you on your last statement. Pikmin was not the last Nintendo IP in the past 10 years. There's Golden Sun (a new DS game will be launched this year), Magical Starsign (okay, that's obscure, I know) and a brand new IP for the Wii, rated M to boot, released less than a month ago in Japan, Zangeki no Reginleiv - sadly though, no plans for a US release yet...

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
stompythebeast said:
WhiteTigerShiro said:
Can we say hypocrite much? The guy spends what looks like two full paragraphs bashing the Wii for being something that "no serious gamer plays" and that "they'll get bored of and put down quickly"... and he's currently developing a browser-based game.

Huh...
What? You ever play pop-cap games? You seen the insanity with facebook-based games? Those games are not put down my friend, and they generate money, lots of it. He would be a hypocrite if he said he would never develop for the Wii.
So i ask you, Huh?
The only Facebook game I've heard of has been accused of not even really being a game. Not to mention that the only people I know who play the game are my mom, some of her friends, and some of my aunts and uncles. Farmville aside, I've never heard of any browser-based game that had any lasting appeal outside of a few zealous die hard fans.

So yes, I stand by my point that the guy is being hypocritical by calling-out the Wii for doing the exact same kinds of things that this game that he's currently developing (or its archetype rather) is known to do. And frankly your point about Popcap is moot. No one is talking about how much money the games are generating, especially since Nintendo is currently rolling in the dough.

stompythebeast

Orbital Drop Shock Trooper
May 6, 2008
WhiteTigerShiro said:
stompythebeast said:
WhiteTigerShiro said:
Can we say hypocrite much? The guy spends what looks like two full paragraphs bashing the Wii for being something that "no serious gamer plays" and that "they'll get bored of and put down quickly"... and he's currently developing a browser-based game.

Huh...
What? You ever play pop-cap games? You seen the insanity with facebook-based games? Those games are not put down my friend, and they generate money, lots of it. He would be a hypocrite if he said he would never develop for the Wii.
So i ask you, Huh?
The only Facebook game I've heard of has been accused of not even really being a game. Not to mention that the only people I know who play the game are my mom, some of her friends, and some of my aunts and uncles. Farmville aside, I've never heard of any browser-based game that had any lasting appeal outside of a few zealous die hard fans.

So yes, I stand by my point that the guy is being hypocritical by calling-out the Wii for doing the exact same kinds of things that this game that he's currently developing (or its archetype rather) is known to do. And frankly your point about Popcap is moot. No one is talking about how much money the games are generating, especially since Nintendo is currently rolling in the dough.
True about the money not being a point in this. But still, I dont see how he is being hypocritical unless we started considering browsers as gaming consoles.To elaborate, he would be hypocritical if he was thrashing the Wii and was developing a game for the PSP.

hypothetical fact

Oct 8, 2008
What makes the Wii a toy and the ps3/360 an entertainment system? The audience. The 360 has a firm market with frat boys who just want to chug beer and shoot stuff while the ps3 has a firm market with weeaboos who want the latest in androgenous angst fantasies. The wii on the other hand has a market of zippo. Wii fit has a market with the elderly and nintendo first party sequels have markets in nostalgic nintendo fanboys but that's it. Neither camp is willing to purchase anything else on the wii so it gets an incredibly low attachment rate for third party software compared to the incredibly high system sales. This leaves only illinformed devs and devs that just want to release cheap shit quickly to actually make the third party games.

Over time the wii owners realised the system has no third party titles worth playing (the first 12 year old to jump on the "nuh-uh I loved resident evil: UC" or some other game will be shown sales figures.)and decided to stop buying. The market dries up, the segments become even more encapsulated and the devs realise nobody is buying their games so they make derogatory comments toward the console.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Asturiel said:
Woodsey said:
The Wii is overpriced and lacking in every aspect (except disappointment).
Overpriced? When I bought it it was cheap as the hooker I am using right now. sin. I got it on the first day, then again I am one of the subscribers to the buying of things to have so *shrug*.
I bought it for its launch price (in the UK) which was £180.

And it was overpriced. The 360 and PS3 offer a better quality of games, better services, etc. and Sony and MS are selling at a loss.

Tiny116

The Cheerful Pessimist
May 6, 2009
I like the Wii, but would never buy one...
But i'm disagreeing with everyone who says consoles are toys...they're not, which is why ths guys annoucnment that the wii is a toy is an insult.

You can't "play with" a console, it dosn't represent something like a toy truck or an action figure.
It plays games, the same difference there is between Action man and chess

Thats how I see it anyway.

EDIT:
Amnestic said:
CORRODED SIN said:
Can someone please tell me how consoles are toys?

toy [http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/toy]
?noun
1. an object, often a small representation of something familiar, as an animal or person, for children or others to play with; plaything.
2. a thing or matter of little or no value or importance; a trifle.
3. something that serves for or as if for diversion, rather than for serious pratical use.
4. a small article of little value but prized as a souvenir or for some other special reason; trinket; knickknack; bauble.
5. something diminutive, esp. in comparison with like objects.
6. an animal of a breed or variety noted for smallness of size: The winning terrier at the dog show was a toy.
7. a close-fitting cap of linen or wool, with flaps coming down to the shoulders, formerly worn by women in Scotland.
8. a simple, light piece of music, esp. of 16th or 17th century England, written for the virginal.

Specifically definitions 1+3.
Sorry, but if anything consoles only represent definition 3, which can be said for wealth of items that aren't toys. A console dosn't represent anything like a person or animal, you don't actually play the playstation but the game the playstation runs. You wouldn't expect a child to pick up an x-box and pretend it was a plane?

(I'm not flaming by the way, I just don't follow you)

Telas

Jul 18, 2009
JEBWrench said:
Telas said:
"a toy, not an entertainment focused product"

Can anyone find me a three letter word for "entertainment focused product"?
LOG!

What rolls down stairs alone or in pairs
Rolls over your neighbor's dog?
What's great for a snack and fits on your back?
It's Log, Log, Log!

It's Log, Log, it's big, it's heavy, it's wood.
It's Log, Log, it's better than bad, it's good!
Everyone wants a log! You're gonna love it, Log!
Come on and get your log! Everyone needs a Log!
Well played, indeed! Many kudos and bonus points...

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
stompythebeast said:
True about the money not being a point in this. But still, I dont see how he is being hypocritical unless we started considering browsers as gaming consoles.To elaborate, he would be hypocritical if he was thrashing the Wii and was developing a game for the PSP.
If anything that just further proves my point. He's bashing the Wii as a console, meanwhile he's programming a game that isn't even ON a console, but is rather producing for a "platform" that's known for its games being worth roughly 1 hour of gameplay, maybe up to 5 hours if you really like the game. He's sitting here bashing on Nintendo when the best his current project can hope for is to be the next big hit on Facebook. I'd call that hypocrisy.

stompythebeast

Orbital Drop Shock Trooper
May 6, 2008
WhiteTigerShiro said:
stompythebeast said:
If anything that just further proves my point. He's bashing the Wii as a console, meanwhile he's programming a game that isn't even ON a console, but is rather producing for a "platform" that's known for its games being worth roughly 1 hour of gameplay, maybe up to 5 hours if you really like the game. He's sitting here bashing on Nintendo when the best his current project can hope for is to be the next big hit on Facebook. I'd call that hypocrisy.
I can see what you mean now, which is completely true.