Former EA Developer Rages Against the Madden

Aeonknight

Apr 8, 2011
So basically... he's telling us nothing we didn't know before?

Even if I'm labeled as "that guy who defends EA", I know myself what their intentions are. It's a fair, valid criticism of the company. And you know what? I don't care.

The only questions that should concern anyone is this:

"Is the particular game with their logo on it fun to play?"

Let's see, BF3 I still find to be the better FPS on the market now. Definately better than MW3 and BlOps2, but that's my opinion.

I enjoy the Dead Space franchise.

That's basically it. I don't buy games because the company is great, and I don't let them being "robotic" or downright "EVUL" prevent me from enjoying a good game (provided said "EVUL" company is capable of creating good games in the first place.)

Bvenged

Sep 4, 2009
RhombusHatesYou said:
Bvenged said:
If I was an indie-dev or even a privately owned companies like Zenimax/Bethesda or Take-Two/Rockstar
Take Two are a public company.
Ah yeah I forgot. Then why aren't they as shitty as EA/Activision?

Yellowfish

Nov 8, 2012
jetriot said:
MAIN POINT: When creativity and innovation is wanted by consumers it will be profitable.
Consumers like innovation. A truly innovative game will in most cases sell well. But innovation is a very vague concept, and a big corporation like EA isn't likely to focus on such an elusive thing. When a truly innovative game happens, nobody thinks "Yep, this game is full of fresh ideas." They just break it down, find the things that supposedly make it sell so well, and then blindly stuff them into their own games. And it's done by all kinds of developers, not only by the slaves of EA. The only difference is that a small-time developer won't hire market analysts to tell them that adding audiologs to their game will boost the sales by 2,138%, they'll just think "Hey, our game needs audiologs, for exposition and shit. Game X did it, and it was really good, so why not?"

gardian06

Jun 18, 2012
Tiamat666 said:
I believe people should be able to rant on the Internet and get all the nerd rage out of their system, without losing their job or not finding another job.

A little more honest talking and open-mindedness will do the world good.
Ehhhh, Kinda.

yes open, and honest conversation about working in a corporate environment is all well, and good, but at the same time there is this principle in business (I forget the title of it, but was going to explain anyways)

that 1 good review/account/story/transaction might get you the same, or another customer
think about the last time you saw a fastfood restaurant do a "free ______ no purchase necessary" if you enjoyed it you might have thought to yourself "huh I might want to eat this again" and you probably told at least one friend about it (maybe more)

and 1 bad review/account/story/transaction will lose you that same customer, and 10 potential customers
that same "free ______ no purchase necessary" you eat it, and get sick, and know that it was the only possible thing that could have gotten you sick (within reason), or maybe they actually charged you for it. you will probably go out of your way to tell even people you don't know about it.

though this principle does have a failing when you consider: does a good equal a bad, or does one outweigh the other most of the time from a business setting the bad will dwarf the good almost to an exponential level, and this is why so many companies mission statements include the words "best" "customer service" "satisfaction" (not all necessarily at the same time), or flavors thereof, or will dump a good portion of money into Customer Service, and/or Quality Assurance, and in some cases might even give these sections the ability to not only affect the production that is going on, but stop it, or directly modify it (this is not as common as it should be, but does happen ex: Unity Team), and why some companies (even middle man companies) will try to bend over backwards to correct even something minor (ex: Paypal for any shit they get they will literally eat their own shit out of your hand to make a customer happy for a legitimate complaint)

coming back on point (in a sudo-roundabout fashion) if we take this "one tenth principle" (don't think that is the name) and then attribute it to a single employee/representative "the reason I got sick after eating that free ____ was because they found out one of the cooks didn't wash their hands after going to the bathroom" then that cook will almost 90% of the time be disciplined (it should be 100% but oversights, and "oversights" happen). now if that employee is fired (depending on how sick the person was, or if this was incident #5) that employee will also have a health violation on their record, and how likely do you think they are to get another job if the next employer sees that violation, and the next "acceptable" candidate has none.

now moral of the story is that when it comes to PR if we know that personX has basically made their previous place of business look like the "9th Circle of Hell" to work for (granted some credit should be given if we know that it is true, but "we don't work there, so we should assume that it is at the very least and ok place to work) what is the likely hood that they might do the same for us even for something minor. now you might be thinking to yourself "this doesn't hold water that if personX badmouths their previous place of business they will automatically do it for every place they work for" to which yes, and no "there is no history of anything until it happens", and "once there is history of something happening the likelihood that it will happen again increase ten fold for every occurrence"

to put this in terms that most people are very likely to have experienced: did you ever know anybody who would only ever say negative things about other people, but only when they were not there, and then thought to yourself "I wonder if they do this same thing about me when I am not around them" and then gave a good deal of thought (maybe more then your willing to admit) on considering them a friend.

so in short the reason that this person might not receive the "admiration" of potential employers is because after he was removed from his last one he did not have "admiration" for them.

jetriot

Sep 9, 2011
Yellowfish said:
jetriot said:
MAIN POINT: When creativity and innovation is wanted by consumers it will be profitable.
Consumers like innovation. A truly innovative game will in most cases sell well. But innovation is a very vague concept, and a big corporation like EA isn't likely to focus on such an elusive thing. When a truly innovative game happens, nobody thinks "Yep, this game is full of fresh ideas." They just break it down, find the things that supposedly make it sell so well, and then blindly stuff them into their own games. And it's done by all kinds of developers, not only by the slaves of EA. The only difference is that a small-time developer won't hire market analysts to tell them that adding audiologs to their game will boost the sales by 2,138%, they'll just think "Hey, our game needs audiologs, for exposition and shit. Game X did it, and it was really good, so why not?"
Customer like good innovations. The problem with innovating is you don't know how it is going to look in the final product. When you are spending millions of dollars to develop a single title there is no turning back if one of your innovations goes south. Consumers punish poor innovations as they should. This is why they attempt to focus test new features. They are attempting to insure their features our well received and don't flow losing them millions of dollars. Businesses are perfectly fit to making games BECAUSE they have a profit incentive. You buy it if you like it, you don't if you don't. Companies that make good games are rewarded. Companies that make bad decisions and bad games are not.

EA is not the evil empire and its employees are not slaves. They are conducting a fair trade and all parties are benefiting or they would not participate in the trade. If you don't like their policies or their games don't buy them and stop pretending to be injured and disgusted because other people buy them. It should be none of your concern.

Aeshi

Dec 22, 2009
I can't help but wonder how much of this is just "I got kicked out" Butthurt.

uncanny474 said:
OT: I don't wanna be "that guy" who does nothing but praise Valve, but look at their corporate structure, then to EA's, then back at their games, then back to EA's. Sadly, EA's games are not as good as Valve's, and it's pretty obvious why.
Depends on what particular part(s) you're looking at, Valve's "Semi-Anarchist" structure may work out very well for them creatively, but it really doesn't lend itself well to the technical side of things, and it shows (Origin runs WAY smoother than Steam does[footnote]though that could be partially due to Origin being a bit more basic[/footnote], and I've had TF2 take 5 minutes to load a single map[footnote]not even a particularly big one[/footnote] once)

Beryl77

Mar 26, 2010
Yeah, nothing that we didn't already know.
No one seriously believes that EA is actually evil evil and wants to harm others and that Riccitiello is the spawn of the devil. They are just greedy bastards.
Yes, they're a company and a company needs to make money, in order to exist but there are many ways to make money. EA chose the greedy bastards way. There are many companies who do really well without trying to squeeze every single penny out of their customer's pockets.
"They're just doing business" is just a really poor excuse to me.

Thoric485

Aug 17, 2008
Riccitiello said himself in 2008 that EA squandered Westwood, Origin and Bullfrog by trying to get the creative process down to a spreadsheet. "You can't just buy people and attempt to apply some business school synergy to them... It just doesn't work." is what he said, and by all accounts it looks like he hasn't listened to his own advice.

EA is making the same mistakes as during his last term and the results are bound to be the same - dead, squandered studios. Pandemic's already gone, Mythic's been shuffled around, downsized and re-branded an unhealthy amount of times, the BioWare brand they built up around SWTOR is being currently dissolved, with their biggest franchise being moved to an internal EA studio. I wonder if BioWare Edmonton will only be downsized after DA3, or straight up closed.

jpoon

Mar 26, 2009
Good for him venting, fuck EA. Easily one of the absolute worst publishers on the planet and I steer clear of damn near every single game they sell for a good reason.

dagens24

Mar 20, 2004
If I want art I'll go play an idie game, when I want big spectacle I'll go play a AAA blockbuster, etc. They all have their place within the industry and within the hobby. Everyone plays games for different reasons; there isn't one right way to play, or make, games. To each there own! :)

Darkness665

Dec 21, 2010
J.R. is a complete jerk and has no soul. He is a numbers only corporate schmuck and he has stated as much himself. Origins exists just to block EA on Steam. Project $10 exists so EA can generate more hatred than money from one project. It has been very effective in that regard.

The other companies mentioned, Ubisoft and ActiVision, are examples of corporate whores that might fare worse when compared to EA. Ubisoft is headed by a lying dog that has foisted DRM, that has repeatedly attacked his paying customers, and Bobby the Kotick stated repeatedly that he has removed the fun in making video games all while leading a company that its parent is trying to dump because of that self same monster had to cough up hundred of millions for forcing developers out under false pretenses just so Bobbi can keep their cash.

I am sorry, but these companies are evil incarnate. Their leaders are evil and have a history of evil. There is nothing to save in any of them. The only companies that are worse currently are Microsoft (a convicted monopolist on two continents) and Sony, the most incompetent security firm in existence.

Saying it is the fault of the stockholders is BS pure and simple. It is the fault of the leaders. Leaders are what drives the direction of companies large and small. These men are evil and under their leadership the companies have all become evil and incompetent in the very fields the companies exist in. They universally have no love for games, the gaming industry nor any customers.

Horrid people, leading companies into infamy doing horrid things to the world and their customers because of their own yearly bonus. Don't be confused and think there is any other reason then the bonuses due them for these actions.

Elate

Nov 21, 2010
Aeshi said:
I can't help but wonder how much of this is just "I got kicked out" Butthurt.

uncanny474 said:
OT: I don't wanna be "that guy" who does nothing but praise Valve, but look at their corporate structure, then to EA's, then back at their games, then back to EA's. Sadly, EA's games are not as good as Valve's, and it's pretty obvious why.
Depends on what particular part(s) you're looking at, Valve's "Semi-Anarchist" structure may work out very well for them creatively, but it really doesn't lend itself well to the technical side of things, and it shows (Origin runs WAY smoother than Steam does[footnote]though that could be partially due to Origin being a bit more basic[/footnote], and I've had TF2 take 5 minutes to load a single map[footnote]not even a particularly big one[/footnote] once)
Alright, what dimension are you living in? Origin runs like a one legged donkey smacked up on painkillers and is so poorly designed a 12 year old could have done it better.

If you mean load up times, well I just booted them both up and Origin prompted me about 4 times and then chugged, while Steam just had a long load up. I don't have a whole lot against EA, what I do hate is Origin and them forcing it on us, and I know, I know, Valve did the same, and steam was crap when it came out, but EA has had somewhere near 7 years and could learn from Valves mistakes, but they didn't. I just think it's a crap system.