Former Microsoft Exec Credits Sony For Xbox Success

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Former Microsoft Exec Credits Sony For Xbox Success

Former Xbox honcho Robbie Bach says missteps by Sony cleared the way for the success of the Xbox.

There are a lot of reasons why Microsoft was able to make successful inroads into the game console market that, at the time of the release of the original Xbox, was utterly dominated by the PlayStation and PlayStation 2. But according to Robbie Bach, the former president of Microsoft's Entertainment and Devices Division, much of its success, and even more so that of its successor the Xbox 360, can be attributed to none other than Sony.

"Some of the success of Xbox was due to the fact that Sony did some really not-so-smart things. They mismanaged their 70 percent market share," he said at a Northwest Entrepreneur Network event in Seattle last week. "It's a long conversation. The transition to PlayStation 3 was really, really bad. And really hard. They mismanaged their partners, they mismanaged their cost structure. They made their next platform so complicated that developers couldn't develop for it."

One company that didn't make mistakes, he continued, is Apple, whose "remarkable" run over the past decade ultimately spelled doom for Microsoft's series of Zune media players, which also fell under Bach's responsibility. The Zune suffered from a "confused" marketing message that failed to make an impression on a broad range of music fans, he said, but it was Apple's ability to make the music industry dependent upon its platform that ultimately sealed the deal.

"I don't always agree with everything they do, but they've made remarkably few mistakes," he continued. "If you're in a startup and your competition doesn't make mistakes, the world is a hard place, and it doesn't matter how much money you have."

Source: GeekWire [http://www.geekwire.com/2012/robbie-bachs-lessons-intrapreneurship-xbox-zune/]

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
Nintendo is the one that should be really thankful.
MS screwed up a hell of a lot too but seem to have been largely forgiven.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
:p I appreciate this article for what it is, just seems like this guy was saying stuff in the interview or whatever that everyone already knew:

PS2 dominated the industry while the XBox kinda trudged along behind it. Then Sony REALLY screwed the pooch with their launch of the PS3, leaving the door WIDE open for the 360 to come in and say "Hey! Remember how you loved the fact that the PS 2 has so many games? Well now WE'VE got a shit ton of games! Come buy our console!"

And the masses listen.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
DVS BSTrD said:
Not having BC to the most successful console of all time WILL tend to bite you on the ass.
Originally, the PS3 did. That didn't seem to help it any.

However, the overall point is true. It was Sony's race to lose, really.

PrototypeC

Apr 19, 2009
"Thanks, competition, for FAILING SO HARD and showing the world how superior we are. No really, thanks!"

Wow, how smug can you get?

darthzew

Jun 19, 2008
Yeah, Sony dropped the ball big time. Now I think Nintendo is about to start losing. Sony might be able to pick up the slack in the next generation, but you never know.

I think the Xbox 360 will continue to do well because of how well it plays as both a game console and as a multimedia device. It does not have the advantage of being a blu-ray player, but it doesn't actually need it, apparently. The digital download marketplace coupled with all of its third-party services have it made quite the show stopper.

The PS3 just seems to lag in both games and multimedia. And Nintendo's multimedia functionality is practically non-existent compared to either the PS3 or 360.

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
The Xbox did have the better interface at the time and the biggest selection of games at the time, but I shouldn't need to get 4 of the bastard things in order to play said games.

Eric the Orange

Gone Gonzo
Apr 29, 2008
PrototypeC said:
"Thanks, competition, for FAILING SO HARD and showing the world how superior we are. No really, thanks!"

I like to think it's more,

"Thanks, competition, for FAILING SO HARD , that our mediocrity looks better by comparison."

Brother Pain

Dec 17, 2008
IMHO, he's right. Back when the XBOX came out, I couldn't imagine getting one, and the only thing it had going for it was it's controller (I have very large hands, and also the Playstation controller makes my hand hurt if I use the shoulder buttons) and I actually tried finding a converter to let me use one for my PS2.

Then the PS3 came out without proper BC in Europe (it only ever had buggy software BC here), a price tag that no one in their right mind would pay, and only one good exclusive.
The Xbox 360 on the other hand had the best controller I've seen on a console ever and several decent exclusives, not least of which was Mass Effect (which was the reason I bought my Xbox 360 in 2007), and also didn't cost an arm and a leg.

If Sony hadn't dropped the ball, I'd play most of my games on their console, but these days my PS3 is in storage and my Xbox 360 is sitting happily next to my PC.

Nuke_em_05

Mar 30, 2009
This guy gets it. Microsoft is a "meh" company. They make products that do what they need to do, they aren't super-fantastic-mega-awesome-knock-your-socks-off, but they work.

If your competition is like everything you never knew you wanted (iPod/PS2), a "meh" product (Zune/Xbox) isn't going to cut it. If your competition is shooting itself in the foot (PS3), people are going to go for the one that at least works (Xbox 360).

Even if the original Xbox was "teh best evars!", people would have been be like, "Yeah, So? We already have PS2". Like with the current MP3/Smartphone market. If two products are equally functionally "perfect", people will generally go with the established brand (Apple).

Your competition almost has a bigger effect on your market than your product itself.

Lord_Gremlin

Apr 10, 2009
Also right now PSN store in Europe constantly missing certain games in certain regions, while XBLA has them in same regions. So, for example in Russia or Poland loads of multiplatform PSN/XBLA games are Xbox exclusives. Sometimes it feels like Sony deliberately promoting xbox, shouting "look PSN is shit, you won't get anything unless you're in UK!".

ThePS1Fan

Dec 22, 2011
PrototypeC said:

OldNewNewOld

Mar 2, 2011
So he says that the xbox 360 is shit, but because the PS3 is even bigger shit, the xbox 360 looks appealing?
I mean, if you need the competition to fail as hard as the PS3 did in order to succeed, it means that your product is mediocre at best.

Well, Nintendo will be thanking them next gen if MS keeps pushing the Kinect.

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
darthzew said:
Yeah, Sony dropped the ball big time. Now I think Nintendo is about to start losing. Sony might be able to pick up the slack in the next generation, but you never know.

I think the Xbox 360 will continue to do well because of how well it plays as both a game console and as a multimedia device. It does not have the advantage of being a blu-ray player, but it doesn't actually need it, apparently. The digital download marketplace coupled with all of its third-party services have it made quite the show stopper.

The PS3 just seems to lag in both games and multimedia. And Nintendo's multimedia functionality is practically non-existent compared to either the PS3 or 360.
The PS3 does just fine with games and it has the best Netflix player of the three. Sony also doesn't charge extra to use said Netflix player.

Nintendo dominated for two generations, Sony dominated for two generations and the 360 dominated the HD consoles this generation. Nintendo did dominate this generation but they are in a league of their own.

I don't think Microsoft will do so well next gen. They seem to be concentrating more on multimedia and motion controls the last few years and that shows no sign of ending.

Mar 26, 2008
A surprisingly frank response from a Microsoft bigwig. I've got a couple of 360s in the house that are still happily working since the day I got them so when you've got a good thing...