Former Nirvana Members "Dismayed" Over Guitar Hero 5

Jhereg42

Apr 11, 2008
I just feel like this needs to be linked to in this thread.

http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2009/4/22/

DrunkWithPower

Apr 17, 2009
HardRockSamurai said:
I don't blame them. They probably saw this:

Nothing screams RAPE louder than having one of the kings of grunge rock sing Bon Jovi love ballads...
could be worse... could be the jonas brothers or B52's.

Random Argument Man

May 21, 2008
HardRockSamurai said:
I don't blame them. They probably saw this:

Nothing screams RAPE louder than having one of the kings of grunge rock sing Bon Jovi love ballads...
I was going to make a whole speech about Kobain's ideals. However, you gave a better answer...

RanD00M

Oct 26, 2008
I find it ok to have him in the game but show some respect and don't have him as a playable character.

y8c616

May 14, 2008
esperandote said:
Cpt_Oblivious said:
xmetatr0nx said:
Haha, yea he was the drummer.
Oh right, I've only ever thought of him as being in the Foo Fighters. But then again I don't really like Nirvana so I wouldn't have known.
He's on Queens of the stone age too. His the drummer again there.
only on the Songs for the Deaf album i believe. (The only good QOTSA album IMO)

Osloq

Mar 9, 2008
dark_taint92 said:
Cpt_Oblivious said:
esperandote said:
Cpt_Oblivious said:
xmetatr0nx said:
Haha, yea he was the drummer.
Oh right, I've only ever thought of him as being in the Foo Fighters. But then again I don't really like Nirvana so I wouldn't have known.
He's on Queens of the stone age too. His the drummer again there.
Yea, I checked out his Wikipedia article, he also played drums for Nine Inch Nails at one point.
he also plays the drums for tenacious D he's the devil in the pick of destiny at the end.
just a little bit more info ondave grohl for you there
He's also the devil in the video of tribute by Tenacious D. More Dave Grohl knowledge than anyone will ever need to know.

I'm not sure where I fall on this issue. I think the man himself would hate having his image in the game in general and I think he would spew molten lava if he knew could be used as a character on any of the songs. However it has been over a decade since his death and the inclusion of Johnny Cash (there might be other dead artists but I haven't played Guitar Hero since the first one) might mean it's time to just let it go and if you personally own the game just use Kurt to play Nirvana songs. No point getting bitter and twisted about something you can't change.

stiver

Oct 17, 2007
Nirvana is just a band.

Kurt Cobain was just a singer.

Get the hell over it already.

esperandote

Feb 25, 2009
didn't he (partially) or one of the reasons that he killed himself because he didnt want to become mainstream?

esperandote

Feb 25, 2009
stiver said:
Nirvana is just a band.

And Martin Luther King was just a spokeman (sarcasm)

Nirvana was not just a band, for some, it was the greatest band in the 90's.

tehroc

Jul 6, 2009
Random argument man said:
I was going to make a whole speech about Kobain's ideals. However, you gave a better answer...
His ideals don't mean anything, he was a hypocrite. If he was so anti-label then he could have just stay on their indie label or started their own. He sold his ideals for money and fame. What's one of their most popular albums? MTV Unplugged, you cant sell out any harder then that.

Vuljatar

Sep 7, 2008
stiver said:
Nirvana is just a band.

He killed himself because he was depressed about exactly this sort of thing happening.

Anarien

Mar 30, 2007
Either the contract wasn't examined closely enough or something got lost in translation. Either way, it's not like the character is animated in a way that tarnishes Cobain's achievements. He's been dead for 15 years, so the "too soon" argument goes out the window. And besides, Nirvana and Kurt's images and music have been way past commercialized by now. Even just putting the music in the game does that.

crypt-creature

May 12, 2009
I'd be curious to see the actual contract and how it was worded.

If it was specific then she can't really say anything about it, but if they used rather vague terms like many contracts do so that they have loopholes... well, that is Activision kind of being an ass.

Osloq said:
However it has been over a decade since his death and the inclusion of Johnny Cash (there might be other dead artists but I haven't played Guitar Hero since the first one) might mean it's time to just let it go
Part of the disgust could be from the fact that Cobain was a suicide case, where I don't think other legendary members playable in the GH games were (please correct me if I'm wrong, I'm not the biggest music person).
So, I can see why some would be a little touchy about a suicide rather than death from old age or some other type of unintentional accident.

T'Generalissimo

Nov 9, 2008
I guess I understand why friends and fans of Cobain are unhappy, but it seems like it would be more appropriate for this sort of thing to be directed at Love for signing off on the bloody thing. I find it unlikely that Acitivision will pay any heed to this if they think that there's profits to be made from it, and frankly I don't blame them in the slightest; it's not their responsibilty to make sure Cobain's image is used appropriately. I guess the developers might want to do it, if they're actually interested in music and musicians and such, or if enough fans boycott the series until it's patched.

Arrers

Mar 4, 2009
Cpt_Oblivious said:
Dave Grohl was in Nirvana?

Hopefully this'll get sorted out without too much fuss.
Wait, people don't know that? This makes me feel old. Which is weird, considering that I was two years old when Kurt Cobain died.

2012 Wont Happen

Aug 12, 2009
The difference between Kurt and the other people listed is that Kurt hated the main stream and thought music should be something real to you

asinann

Apr 28, 2008
GamerLuck said:
Like i commented on the Love article the other day, Why didn't they something before? i am pretty sure Cobain as not only an appearance but a playable character was hyped at some point, so why did it take so long for these people to notice?

Also, I don't really think Activision is using dead people to sell their crap... i don't know why, but to me it just feels a little far fetched and pretentious to say that they are. maybe i am naive and deluded, but hey, who isn't these days?
The band couldn't have done anything about it, the likeness rights are in the skank's hands. They are commenting now because to stay silent when the crazy lady is running her mouth would look bad.

More Fun To Compute

Nov 18, 2008
This is a clash of cultures. People who think that music is something fun to mess around with and make money out of versus people who actually care. As always, the people who give a shit will be laughed at and cast out.

T said:
I guess I understand why friends and fans of Cobain are unhappy, but it seems like it would be more appropriate for this sort of thing to be directed at Love for signing off on the bloody thing.
She signed off on the avatar which looks enough like him but did she sign off on all the ways that they avatar could be used? At any rate, her signing the contract doesn't excuse Activision for having bad judgement and taste. They should lock the Kurt character to Nirvana songs without having to go through lawyers.