Former THQ CEO Sells His Company Stock for $3000

Carnagath

Apr 18, 2009
CrossLOPER said:
Carnagath said:
while both CoH and DoW 2 feel clunky, have terrible netcodes, and DoW 2 especially is not even an RTS.
Opinions opinions.

I agree about the netcode being next to terrible, but I would say that DoW 2 is one of the few popular RTS games in years. Don't you dare bring up Starcraft and its clicky spastic clickfest build 1000 tanks total lack of strategy gameplay.

Hey look, WE ALL HAVE OPINIONS!

Seriously though, how is DoW2 NOT and RTS? It's real-time and it is a strategy.
It's a squad based tactical game. The fact that you control points is the only thing that bears a similarity to "strategy". When base building is removed, and you can have a maximum of about 15 units before you hit the supply limit, you can't call your game an RTS. DoW 2 has more in common with fucking Baldur's Gate, than it does with C&C, Warcraft or Starcraft. Pardon the language, but Relic really pissed me off with this game, because I loved DoW 1 so much, and they had to release this piece of shit with its name, rather than make something new that I can safely ignore, or keep those mechanics to CoH.

As far as popularity goes, how exactly is DoW 2 popular when nobody is playing it? I downloaded all those games with the THQ bundle, logged in to all of them, and the only game that people play is CoH. By orders of magnitude. Like, there were 50-100 people in all other games, and 10,000 in CoH.

Of course, I had to connect by using a secondary connection to play, because Relic apparently doesn't like my router, and I am unable to join or create any game with it, and there's no way to fix it or plans to do so. And when I did connect, I had between 250 and 400 ms on a 1v1 game, on the EU server, and versus a friend of mine who lives 3 streets away. Are you fucking kidding me... Even the worst indie dev doesn't screw up this bad. I'm genuinely surprised that Relic are still around to be honest, devs have been dismantled for far far less.

direkiller

Dec 4, 2008
CrossLOPER said:
Carnagath said:
while both CoH and DoW 2 feel clunky, have terrible netcodes, and DoW 2 especially is not even an RTS.
Opinions opinions.

I agree about the netcode being next to terrible, but I would say that DoW 2 is one of the few popular RTS games in years. Don't you dare bring up Starcraft and its clicky spastic clickfest build 1000 tanks total lack of strategy gameplay.

Hey look, WE ALL HAVE OPINIONS!

Seriously though, how is DoW2 NOT and RTS? It's real-time and it is a strategy.
DOW 2 is not so much an RTS as it is a overhead RPG.
There was no Real time strategy for the entire campaign. 4 squads go from point a to point b and boss fight.

bastardofmelbourne

Dec 11, 2012
DVS BSTrD said:
You guys really think this was his only monetary compensation?
No. He obviously earned a salary. The point was that unlike other CEOs who cash out their stocks and bail as soon as the company starts to tumble, he held onto them right to the end when he could have sold them earlier for over a million dollars at the company's expense.